• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Contax 645 to Nikon adapter...

Conorus (a Canadian company) is a "life saviour" for C645 users that also use Canon DSLRs, it gives them the opportunity to save a fortune by providing them with an adapter so that the user can use all his Contax645 lenses, with full dedication of aperture coupling, AF, Exif data and modes as if they where a dedicated Canon lens!
Thus, a Canon user that also uses a C645 system may share his brilliant 80mm f2 Zeiss for portraiture, his outstanding 120mm f4 APO macro for macro work or any other superb Zeiss glass from 35mm up to 350mm… More than that, he will save (much) cost and space by:

1. Use common lenses on both their systems,
2. Reduce bulk considerably when they have a common project where both MF and DSLR equipment is needed for different parts of it,
3. Integrate both MF and DSLR systems to make them acting as one, thus saving extra "back up" camera bodies.

But what about a Nikon user that also uses Contax645 as I am? Is he the "son of a lesser God?…Why can't he have the same flexibility? …The excuse was (up to now) the aperture coupling, which is electronic with Canon (just like Contax), as of mechanical with Nikon… But this man has solved the problem…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hfywi8DJWs

I've contact the man and asked for a (pre-production) adapter to try… Watch the video, the man is working on more adapters to "link" almost everything that can be linked physically as far as image area and mount distance permits it… I wish him the best of success, he may prove a "life saviour" for more photographers.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I'd like to know in practice hoe fast or sluggish the AF is. I know they warn that Eos lenses on their mount for Sony 7 cameras is pretty stuttery and slow as a snail.

Asher

Jerome Marot

I'd like to know in practice how fast or sluggish the AF is. I know they warn that Eos lenses on their mount for Sony 7 cameras is pretty stuttery and slow as a snail.

AF speed should certainly be checked, but there is no reason it would be as slow as on the A7.

An adapter for Contax 645 lenses is also available for the Leica S camera mount: http://s.leica-camera.com/en/News/NEW-LEICA-S-ADAPTER-C-ENABLES-THE-USE-OF-CONTAX-645-LENSES.

Yes, there is another one that allows Hassy H lenses with full dedication onto Leica S…, it seems that a major problem with photographers "jumping boats" or using more than one format is going to be a lesser problem in the future. I really don't see why there is nothing (serious) announced with view and tech cameras, there is no reason (given the size of todays digital image areas) why one shouldn't be able to use his MF lenses on view/tech cameras… Never the less, the cameras that have a shorter mount to light sensitive surface distance than competition, highly benefit from this convergence, while OTOH the competitors along with larger format lenses benefit from the opposite.

I think it's a very good idea if one that watches the video, also hits the like button on it… It's a self motivated research from a fellow photographer that worths some credit for its importance.

I'd like to know in practice hoe fast or sluggish the AF is. I know they warn that Eos lenses on their mount for Sony 7 cameras is pretty stuttery and slow as a snail.

Asher
Mind you Asher, that AF speed isn't important to all photographers or all applications… I for instance (and many others) only use manual focus with my WAs which I use the traditional way, (with the DOF button and the desired depth included in the DOF) while all my macro or still shooting is also done manually. OTOH, many use AF and assist it with MF using MF override at the same time… not all are doing sports or wild life photography to care about AF that much.

Jerome Marot

Yes, there is another one that allows Hassy H lenses with full dedication onto Leica S.

Yes, it has been available for almost 2 years. The Contax ring is the latest addition.

I think it's a very good idea if one that watches the video, also hits the like button on it… It's a self motivated research from a fellow photographer that worths some credit for its importance.

I would need a google+ account to do that.

On the subject of "likes": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVfHeWTKjag.