• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Looking beyond! A collections of portals!

Michael Nagel

Antonio,

Dark is not very precise - the couple remains discernible without attaining the major focus, as I intended.

Best regards,
Michael

Cem_Usakligil

All great pictures in this thread so far, I am really enjoying them. Am I allowed to play also?

c05511.jpg

Beautiful, Maris and fits perfectly with the theme. Did you need the double extension for this shot and if so why?

Asher

Camera extension was actually a curse for the Weyba Bridge #5 exposure. What I needed was strong bellows compression to get a 121mm lens close enough to the film to get infinity focus. To do this I had to unhook the lens board from the vertical guides of the front standard, shove it backwards, then lock it down so it was centred and parallel to the ground glass. Checking image coverage involved walking back and forth to look at the ground glass through the lens and to look at the lens past the corner of the ground glass. Even for view camera work this was a slow procees. Fortunately the subject wasn't going to die, deteriorate, or run away inside ten minutes.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Camera extension was actually a curse for the Weyba Bridge #5 exposure. What I needed was strong bellows compression to get a 121mm lens close enough to the film to get infinity focus. To do this I had to unhook the lens board from the vertical guides of the front standard, shove it backwards, then lock it down so it was centred and parallel to the ground glass. Checking image coverage involved walking back and forth to look at the ground glass through the lens and to look at the lens past the corner of the ground glass. Even for view camera work this was a slow procees. Fortunately the subject wasn't going to die, deteriorate, or run away inside ten minutes.

I feel better that you admit that this system was problematic! I was wondering and was going to set up my own 8x10 with extension and see what I could focus on!

Asher

Hi, Maris,

Just exquisite in so many ways.

Was the digital image we see here derived from one done by scanning the negative or the print that you describe?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

The image of Weyba Bridge #5 on your monitor is the result of a scan of a positive image on photographic paper. Because the positive was made via contact exposure with a 8" x 10" negative it comes out small enough to fit on my cheap ($49!) A4 flat bed scanner. I used a free version of Photoshop 7 I got years ago to massage the electronic file so that the picture on my monitor looked like the actual photograph held up next to it. Then I cast it into cyberspace.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

So many things to marvel at.

• The use of square windows as a motif to elaborate a stunning bold pattern for the end of that hallway and "lookout" to the exterior.
  • The making of a space "cloister-like" coated with stone, giving timelessness
  • Men with iPhones instead of meditating monks

What a fine picture and all for the benefit of anyone who just has to arrive!

Asher