• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Glimpses of Autumn

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I took a few grab shots of the signs of autumn that my wife has decorated our home with. She never actually said anything about it, just each day a few more glimpses of the changing colors have entered our house.

IMG_5288 copy_800.jpg

Asher Kelman: Pomegranates and fall leaves

Iphone 6+ Processed in Topaz Impression

Enjoy and add your own!

Let's celebrate the rich colors of the fall!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

I took a few grab shots of the signs of autumn that my wife has decorated our home with. She never actually said anything about it, just each day a few more glimpses of the changing colors have entered our house.

IMG_5288 copy_800.jpg

Lovely, and nice job of making it not look like a photograph.

Best regards,

Doug

Paul Abbott

It's a real nice image, Asher. I like how the bowl of apples have been framed within the scene by those shadows. The effect is quite complementary too...

Asher Kelman

It's a real nice image, Asher. I like how the bowl of apples have been framed within the scene by those shadows. The effect is quite complementary too...

Guys,

Thanks for visiting! I appreciate the attention!

Paul, yes, the shadows help a lot to allow attention to go to the fruit. They look like apples, and they would be delicious, but these are pomegranites, part of a fad to get antioxidants!

Asher

Andy brown

Asher, why the iphone??

I'm not quite buying it.

I can see where you were going but I think the potential in the richness of the pomegranates and leaves should be pursued a little harder (use one of your beautiful camera/lens combinations).

It's a lovely shot but not to your usual lofty standards.

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Asher, why the iphone??

Impulse!

I can see where you were going but I think the potential in the richness of the pomegranates and leaves should be pursued a little harder (use one of your beautiful camera/lens combinations).

I'm happy that we speak our mind here. That's both refreshing and important. (This is not for sale so no client will be turned away. Still, what elements are lacking to you?)

I just wanted to entice others to show glimpses of autumn too!

I'll make more, for sure!

Asher

Wolfgang Plattner

No fear, Andy, the iPhone won't hurt you ...! :)))
Asher, it is even useful in "serious" photography, as long as one knows it's technical borders ...

Asher Kelman

No fear, Andy, the iPhone won't hurt you ...! :)))
Asher, it is even useful in "serious" photography, as long as one knows it's technical borders ...

Each camera has its own character, that I admit. However the true limitations, (except for specific tilt-shift and special macro, soft focus or telephoto or high resolution needs), are solely in one's skill set, imagination and dedication, not the gear! Of course an 85mm f1.8 lens is going to make a fabulous portrait easilly surpassing a snap with an "all in focus" iPhone picture. But my picture does not have such soft Bokeh needs.

Rather, it could be that the style is too "home-decor-associated" for some tastes and it does not represent a natural open scene one would look forward to this time of year!

Asher

Asher Kelman

... and here is one of my autumn glimpses:
(made with the Fuji X-10, C1, a little coloring help by TopazLabs' Impression)

This, Wolfgang, is what we want to see this time of year. Here in Southern California, it is still running summer temperatures although in the next few weeks it will get cold, at least to about 23 degrees Celcius!

Still, I am sure there are some areas with colors like this if I look a little more!

Asher

Antonio Correia

IMG_5288 copy_800.jpg

Enjoy and add your own!

Asher

Beautiful Asher !
It looks a bit like a painting... :)

Asher Kelman

Beautiful Asher !
It looks a bit like a painting... :)

Thanks for the visit and good words, Antonio my dear friend! I wanted to obtain the effect of a painting by simplifying the over-abundance of fine detail that the camera cannot help delivering.

To me, this is an homage to still life paintings of bowls of fruit!

I do hope each of us can add signs of autumn, each through their own viewing window. Some one leaf, another an array of sienna and gold across a landscape while another of a man walking his dog through piles of leaves in a grand park!

Asher

Last edited:

IMG_5288 copy_800.jpg

Enjoy and add your own!

Asher
I think it is gorgeous, and don't care what you took it with... don't we always say that the photographer is behind the device? I even like the topaz effect of creating a texture and if someone wanted to buy it.. you wouldn't want to? Why? Would you be ashamed of something that you made and liked? Anyways... I like it. As for pomegranates.. have eaten them since being a child... they were a treasure to be eaten, one little jewel treasure at a time.. now we find they are also good for us... who knew.. Still love them!

Asher Kelman

I think it is gorgeous, and don't care what you took it with... don't we always say that the photographer is behind the device? I even like the topaz effect of creating a texture and if someone wanted to buy it.. you wouldn't want to? Why? Would you be ashamed of something that you made and liked? Anyways... I like it. As for pomegranates.. have eaten them since being a child... they were a treasure to be eaten, one little jewel treasure at a time.. now we find they are also good for us... who knew.. Still love them!

Hi Maggie, .........(the person who knows how to add the mood of transparent silk to pictures)!

I appreciate especially your warm support. Reality is harsh, and it is not necessary to have all the biophysical details of the truth of a texture to present the feelings of a warm home that autumn displays can evoke.

This bowl of pomegranates is not made for just eating, but to celebrate family, nature and abundance that we are blessed with when we can put food on our table and enjoy each other's company, faults and mistakes and all.

My photograph shows these ideas and feelings.

However, if one only expects some preconceived idea of an array of autumn colors and the "truth" then my work can leave the viewer wanting.

So, Maggie, I am happy to have one more person who loves my sense of the season!

Asher

Andy brown

Asher, why the iphone??

I'm not quite buying it.

OK, I've had time to reconsider.

It's a beautiful shot.
my first viewing (on my iphone) didn't do it justice, it looked a little thin.

I'd love to add some Autumn glimpses (I'm so glad you said Autumn, 'Farl' just sounds silly to the rest of us) but we're in late Spring here.

Wolfgang Plattner

Hi Asher

just invented it ... this shot was taken in the outdoor bathing aera of a Wellness-Hotel in northern Italy, where the fallen colored leafs corresponded so well to the blue water of an outdoor jaccuzzi ...

Asher Kelman

Hi Asher

just invented it ... this shot was taken in the outdoor bathing aera of a Wellness-Hotel in northern Italy, where the fallen colored leafs corresponded so well to the blue water of an outdoor jaccuzzi ...

A worthy concept! It carries the message well!

Asher

Asher Kelman

_mg_9770Darker.jpg

Asher Kelman: Holmby Park Morning #1

Canon 6D Adobe Camera RAW, Nik Viveza 2

_mg_9759.jpg

Asher Kelman: Holmby Park Morning #2

Canon 6D Adobe Camera RAW, Nik Viveza 2 & Topaz Clarity

_mg_9767.jpg

Asher Kelman: Holmby Park Morning #3

Canon 6D Adobe Camera RAW only

But the City of Beverly Hills Parks Department, (being loyal to golfers in this park), is somewhat over-conscientious in collecting up all dead leaves so it is sometimes hard to believe that there was ever a carpet of leaves over the green lawns!

_mg_9769.jpg

Asher Kelman: Holmby Park Morning #4

Canon 6D Adobe Camera RAW only

We just get glimpses of Autumn here, but we're grateful for that privilege!

Asher

Last edited:

Dr Klaus Schmitt

IMG_5288 copy_800.jpg

Enjoy and add your own!

Asher

Wonderful work Asher! Love the colors and structures!

Holmby park is nice too, just abit too cold color tones for me, as I'm in "golden autumn mood" currently ;-)

IMG_5288 copy_800.jpg

Enjoy and add your own!

Asher

How lovely to see this again! Still very beautiful! :) Maggie

My current autumn mood...

23922711038_67302ae78d_o.jpg

Anemone! Such a beautiful flower. We also call them windflowers as their long wiry stems bend so beautifully with the wind. I have a photograph I took of some years ago, that I dearly love.

There is an old song by Seals and Crofts called Windflowers that I am reminded of every time I see them.

Windflowers, my father told me not to go near them,
he said he feared them always and he told me that they carried him away

Windflowers, beautiful windflowers, I couldn't wait to touch them,
to smell them, I held them closely and now I cannot break away

their sweet bouquet disappears like a vapor in the desert
so...take a warning. son.....

Windflowers....ancient windflowers their beauty captures every
young dreamer who lingers near them
but ancient windflowers I love you

Beautiful song as is your photo! :) Maggie