• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

D3X Buzkashi

martin best

Managed to get along to another match despite the lack of vehicles available, was great, weather was brill, hot even, (very unlike Afghanistan in january), however I was suffering from kabul flu, and not really 100%, and I made a big mistake in lowering iso to 160, should have probably upped it from the 200iso used the week before to compensate for my poor performance. still, got some reasonable shots, just not as many keepers as I would have liked. The action was still awesome, I put up the prize for one goal, without realizing my name would then be called out for the next 10 mins (apparently, martin is a 'heavy' name in Dari :), the action really was intense, these guys are literally galloping towards me, with the blue guy lying on his horse sideways pulling on the calf, the crop is better. Buzkashi is like Afghanistan in general, total chaos, few rules, violent, fast and furious, and although teams are present, sometimes its every man for himself. Not such a great game if you are a calf, but, this is Afghanistan, and its fantastic to watch, and the girls with me thought an incredibly romantic spectacle.

feb04buz.php

www.wildpix.net/docs/equip/feb04buz1.php

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Splendid action and photography. Could you embed the url for each image between
so these pages will be instantly full of the screams of the people betting and the thunder ofv the hooves and the curses!

Thanks, Just be safe!

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Splendid action and photography. Could you embed the url for each image between
so these pages will be instantly full of the screams of the people betting and the thunder of the hooves and the curses!

Thanks, Just be safe!

Asher

martin best

Re images

hi asher
have included but doesnt seem to work with my site?
Im civilian working on a Local governance project here, its great, work is hard, long hours, bit dodgy at times, we have our fair share of excitement, but all in all relatively safe. Get to ride at Buzkashi now and again, and get out for shots in town (very infrequently), but security is a problem. travelling to Kandahar and with luck right down to the border soon in Talban controlled area, so should be a chance to get some shots (i mean hopefully me shooting, not being shot at). For info, Afghanistan is an incredibly beautiful country, harsh sometimes, but wonderful all the same. People are invariably extremely friendly, and very hospitable. I like it. (got 10 months to go so probably a good job!!)

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Martin,

Excellent photo and a great story! Thanks for sharing :).

Here is the link I have done on your behalf:
feb04buz1.jpg

Cheers,

I get the point and realize fully the great pictures that can be had with the D3X. The detail is shown here in your photos. Could we see a smaller version too so that we can see the entire frame on the screen rather than having to scroll every which way looking at it in small pieces? It looks like a pretty intense game. Their football perhaps.
James