• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

How Good Are Sigma Lenses?

Robby Long

Sigma Lens, well worth the money

I have both a 70-200mm HSM Macro 2.8 and it does just as well as my Nikon 80-200mm ED 2.8, and I laso have the 18-50mm HSM 2.8 Lens as well and it does as well or better than any I've had..

Axel Becker

I own two SIGMAs. One is my favourite lens. It's the MACRO 105mm / f=2.8. It has a verry good built quality and resolution is extremely good. There's no distorsion, CAs or other remarkable failors. AF is a little bit slow, since it's not HSM, but still good. AF range can be limited for non macro usage.

The other SIGMA I own just arived today. It's the 10-20mm /f=4-5.6.
Same good built quality but ultra fast HSM AF. Can't say much about optical qualities at the moment since I did not have time to test. But according to
http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/46-...-20mm-f4-56-dc-ex-hsm-lab-test-report--review
it seems to be the best wide angle available at the moment. Distorsion is verry low for a extreme wide angle.

And not to forget; both lenses are Made in Japan! All original Nikon equipment I have is made somewhere else (China, Malaysia, Thailand).

So far to say, the EX series is verry good. Taking the price tag into account they are extremely good. Might be different for the low end (non EX) series.

I recently bought the Sigma 12-24 DG EX for my Pentax K10D : it is really excellent, very sharp and superb contrast, no distorsion at wide angle, a real pleasure to use.

It's true that EX series are very good, however non EX series can be poor.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
One thing to consider is the manufacturers like Canon have excellent service. One can get a lens repaired to specifications time and time again and the workmanship is reliable. Sigma has brilliant lenses too at good prices, but their service doesn't have the same reputation. I personally don't see the need for new sigma lenses, where I can get used Cano. Lenses and have them rebuilt or rent fabulous lenses for a shoot and return them.

But to I like the Sigma fisheyes!

Asher

Jerome Marot

Sigma also makes some unique lenses and some high performance primes. Actually, in the past years they appear to have shifted their priorities towards premium lenses.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Sigma also makes some unique lenses and some high performance primes. Actually, in the past years they appear to have shifted their priorities towards premium lenses.

That's true. The art lenses are well regarded. Have you heard anything recently about their service. Will Thompson won't touch them anymore because of bad repair experience. But he bears grudges! I would love to hear that they have updated their repair just as they have improved their lenses!

Asher