• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

CS4 web gallery???

Marcel Walker

pro member
I'm very curious to know if anyone can explain to me how to set up a web gallery from CS4. I get how to do the gallery, I just don't understand what I need to do to get it up on the web. I recently went to Tonga to do some photography and would like to be able to post some images for people over there. I have a flash based web site and it is very difficult to load over there because the internet conncection in so poor. I'm hoping to put a link on my home page and maybe set up a site through godaddy to host some slideshows (way too many for my blog) or something like that. I'm not computer savvy, so any help or direction would be fabulous!

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Marcel,
You don't need to bounce from your existing site to an alternate server/provider. If I understand you correctly, you don't want to incorporate the new images into your existing site because it's "flash heavy" and slow to load over a marginal connection. An alternative would be this:
1. Create a new folder on your existing site's location site to hold the new gallery.
2. Upload everything Bridge created (you said you knew how to create a galley/slideshow) into the new folder.
3. Place a link on your home page to the Index file in the new folder.

This assumes you have direct access to your site's location and files, and also asumes you're familiar with uploading via ftp.
That as easy as I can describe it. If you're not sure let me know and we'll tackle it from there.

Hope this helps,

Marcel Walker

pro member
John,

Thank you for your time. I would love to hook my new images into my website, but since I am using a template I don't have access to my site's location and files (I will ask for it though, thank you for that idea). The customer service for my site has given me many fond reminders of my experieinces with customer service in third world countries. That I would even want to do such a thing is somewhat baffling to them and I haven't been able to get anyone to give me a straight answer so I'm assuming I'm not going to get one and if I do, it probably won't be for some time. However, they have found I am very persistent. I had one Peace Core Voluteer worker who spealizes in IT, tell me the internet connection was as if Tonga had bought a fifty dollar modem...for the whole county...just one. Even getting to the internet can be tricky and getting power can sometimes be tricky

I have one gallery for the Peace Core Volunteers created and ready to go and would love for them to be able to hook up to it. Any other suggestions?

Again thank you so much for time!!!!!

Marcel

John Angulat

pro member
You're pretty much right on target with your 50 dollar modem description. A Tonga website describes their internet capabilities as follows:

"Less than 1% of the population is connected, while the remainder have only heard of the Web, never having seen it before. The probabilities are that a phone call or letter will find someone faster than trying to get one of the e-mail connected to make contact.
Full Internet access is (practically) only available in Tongatapu. If you are visiting our outer islands there is no practical Internet access and other telephony services (facsimile, voice) may be limited.
The schools wish they were on the 'Net, but with difficulties supplying basic needs such as text books, there is increasing difficulty in supplying computers, telephone connections, networks, let alone the Internet connection fee.
For a listing of those people with e-mail addresses' in Tonga, one place to look is the Tonga Communications Corporation e-mail subscribers. Although some people may have HOTMAIL or other mail accounts, the majority of e-mail customers are most likely to be on the above service."

However, we still need to find a way to solve your problem. The next suggestion I'd offer would be to go as you originally suggested - via Godaddy or other free service. Yahoo also offers Geocites as their free service. Either way, sign up but do not use their "build your own website" services or templates. Just register and get the domain name. Then upload the Bridge created slideshow(s) to your new home.

With all this said and done there's only one question left to ask:
After going through all this, creating a site and uploading images who's going to view the site if virtually no one on the island has an internet connection? (just kidding :) )

Marcel Walker

pro member
Good point. Not virtaully, but pretty freakin' darn close. I do always manage to do things the hard way but I'm not hoping for heavy traffic here, just muy muy basico for a few dear amigos. It'll kind of be like a slot machine for them, maybe one day they'll get access to the internet and maybe one day they won't. Stimulating, I'm sure. A lot of work for just a few people, but I can't even tell you how generous and loving people were to me.

Photographers over in Tonga are pretty much nonexistent. When I was in the Prime Minister's office, it had a good number of photos (all except one) which were really awful. I did see one portrait studio and it looked like Walmart gone bad. So for these few folks, these pictures are like gold. My computer knowledge is about par with the country's, so another question if you have time. If I do a geocitites page, would it possible to a main page with and then list and link the various galleries?

John, you rock, thanks so much again! You can peak at my blog to see some of pics if you are curious. Nothing too special, but an incredible experience for sure.

Best,
Marcel

www.marcelwalker.blogspot.com

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Marcel,

You certainly can do a main page with links to galleries.

Let's assume you have 5 galleries you want to display. I don't know your computer skills so if I seem to state the obvious, bear with me. Also, many others read the OPF posts so maybe we can help others at the same time, eh?

1. Create the Geocities account. Now you've got a new home on the web!
2. Back on your PC, create each of the 5 galleries with Bridge and save each gallery to a separate folder. Each folder also needs to have a unique name (i.e. Gallery1, Gallery2, etc.). You need to name each gallery different because you will eventually upload every gallery folder to your Geocities account/filespace.
3. Log on to Geocities and use their process (I believe its called PageBuilder) to create a home page. On this page, using the text tool, list the 5 galleries (do not create any hyperlinks at this time).
4. Upload each of the gallery folders you created in Bridge to your Geocities account. Each gallery folder will contain all the necessary code, files and subfolders to play each slideshow. Each folder will contain an HTML document named "index". The "Index" file is the target for all the hyperlinks you'll create on your home page.
5. Go back to editing your homepage. Highlight the words "Gallery One" (or whatever you named the first gallery) and create a hyperlink to it's associated Index file (that would be "Index" in the first gallery folder). Repeat for each gallery.

I think I've got it all covered. If anyone else on the forum is reading this and can help out with further instructions, feel free to jump in.

Also, this is pretty much the same instructions you'd use for any web account. If you'd rather use GoDaddy or whatever, go for it.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Marcel

do you want to be able to built web galleries directly from CS4 as it was possible with previous versions of PS?

Here's the answer! yes it's possible! read that!

I'm very curious to know if anyone can explain to me how to set up a web gallery from CS4. I get how to do the gallery, I just don't understand what I need to do to get it up on the web. I recently went to Tonga to do some photography and would like to be able to post some images for people over there. I have a flash based web site and it is very difficult to load over there because the internet conncection in so poor. I'm hoping to put a link on my home page and maybe set up a site through godaddy to host some slideshows (way too many for my blog) or something like that. I'm not computer savvy, so any help or direction would be fabulous!

I used PS to generate web galleries for a while, using both their flash-based and straight HTML templates.

I too was working from a web template that I couldn't (easily) customize, so I just didn't link the galleries to my home page.

I just created a new directory on my web server (using my ISPs web interface) and uploaded (using SmartFTP) all the PS-generated files into that gallery.

Then when I wanted to send out a link to my pictures, I sent a URL that looks like this:
http://<my domain name>.com/<gallery directory name>/index.html

Clicking on that URL sends the viewer directly to the top of your new gallery.

Hope this helps