• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Problem With CS4

doug anderson

I just tried to open some photos in CS4 and it said it couldn't open them because it was "the wrong kind of document." I have uploaded pictures from the camera several times and brought them into CS4 with no problem.

Anybody have this experience?

Thanks in advance,

Doug Anderson

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Doug,
That's a strange one, for sure.
Did you change file formats between the prior uploads and this one (i.e. jpegs the last time, but this time raw)?
What file format are you trying to open? What camera are you shooting with?
Any additional info can't hurt!

doug anderson

I'm shooting with a Nikon D90 set to RAW. I've never had this problem before with this camera. Earlier, when I was shooting, I was futzing around with the controls, trying to see what did what, and I may have changed something in the camera that affect the kind of file. Do you have any idea what that might be?

doug anderson

Hi Doug,
That's a strange one, for sure.
Did you change file formats between the prior uploads and this one (i.e. jpegs the last time, but this time raw)?
What file format are you trying to open? What camera are you shooting with?
Any additional info can't hurt!

I just noticed that I was shooting RAW + Jpeg fine and changed it to just plain RAW. Why should that make a difference?

John Angulat

pro member
That shouldn't make any difference at all. I've got my own issues with CS4, but I've never had a problem opening a Nikon raw file directly into Photoshop.

Now, just so I have it straight in my head (it's been a really long day) - when you shot raw+jpg the files loaded ok, but afer you change the camera settings to just raw, those raw files wouldn't open in Photoshop?

Also, if that's the case, when the files opened "correctly" were you opening the raw files or jpg's?

doug anderson

That shouldn't make any difference at all. I've got my own issues with CS4, but I've never had a problem opening a Nikon raw file directly into Photoshop.

Now, just so I have it straight in my head (it's been a really long day) - when you shot raw+jpg the files loaded ok, but afer you change the camera settings to just raw, those raw files wouldn't open in Photoshop?

Also, if that's the case, when the files opened "correctly" were you opening the raw files or jpg's?

That's correct.

In the other case, I opened one of each.

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Doug,

A while ago, I had run the update process for CS4 on my machine which has accidentally replaced the version 5.2 of ACR with older version 5.0 (camera raw.8bi file in the \Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS4\File Formats directory). So check there whether the file is still present, and if so, which version it is. The date of this file for version 5.2 should be November 2008 or more recent. Version 5.1 or older do not support D90.

HTH.

Last edited: