• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Editing Question...

ErikJonas

Banned
When i go to save a file i get 3 options and this is in Elements 1) Base Line Standard 2) Baseline Optimized and 3)Progressive.... It defaults to 1) Base Line Standard and thats how i save it,is that the best setting to save it at?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Erik,

It depends what you mean by "it"? What are you saving and why? What's it's value to you today or next year?

ErikJonas

Banned
Theres got to be a one or another regaurdless....I mean you always want to save something in the best quality right?

Cem_Usakligil

Erik,

It depends what you mean by "it"? What are you saving and why? What's it's value to you today or next year?
Hi Asher,

Erik is saving jpg files from Elements. These options result in exactly the same image quality, there is no difference in quality at all. A baseline or simple jpg file is a top-to-bottom rendering of the image and it displays in that sequence on the browsers or on viewers. Progressive ones are divided into a range of scans across the whole of the image (i.e. interlaced) and they display the whole image at the beginning (albeit blurred) and keep on loading the remaning portions by means of which the image gets successively sharper until it is fully loaded. The progresive jpg method is not supported by all browsers or viewers out there, so it is safer to use the baseline method, which is universally displayable. The progressive method makes sense for very large images and when one is surfing on a narrowband internet connection.

When i go to save a file i get 3 options and this is in Elements 1) Base Line Standard 2) Baseline Optimized and 3)Progressive.... It defaults to 1) Base Line Standard and thats how i save it,is that the best setting to save it at?
Erik,

It is quite fine to use the option 1. The image quality is not going to change by this setting. The IQ is set when you indicate the quality level (usually indicated as x%; 100% being the least possible compression). But beware; jpg is a lossy compression method so the IQ will deteriorate each time you open an image and save it , even if you use the 100% option. That is the reason that if you shoot jpg only, you should:
1) Save the original as your master and never ever touch it. Copy it to a working version.
2) Open the copy version and save it as tif (which is lossless)
3) Do all editing and saving on the tif version
4) For the final output (web, print, etc), you can save the tif version as a jpg file, while keeping the tif version as your master file.
5) Once the output file has been generated as jpg, do not edit and save it anymore.

HTH

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Cem,

You gave a marvelous answer! I, of course, am on my mantra of avoiding jpg for anything serious! It's just a marvelous way to share finished images for viewing on the web!

Asher

Wayne Stratton

Hi Asher,

Erik is saving jpg files from Elements. These options result in exactly the same image quality, there is no difference in quality at all. A baseline or simple jpg file is a top-to-bottom rendering of the image and it displays in that sequence on the browsers or on viewers. Progressive ones are divided into a range of scans across the whole of the image (i.e. interlaced) and they display the whole image at the beginning (albeit blurred) and keep on loading the remaning portions by means of which the image gets successively sharper until it is fully loaded. The progresive jpg method is not supported by all browsers or viewers out there, so it is safer to use the baseline method, which is universally displayable. The progressive method makes sense for very large images and when one is surfing on a narrowband internet connection.

Erik,

It is quite fine to use the option 1. The image quality is not going to change by this setting. The IQ is set when you indicate the quality level (usually indicated as x%; 100% being the least possible compression). But beware; jpg is a lossy compression method so the IQ will deteriorate each time you open an image and save it , even if you use the 100% option. That is the reason that if you shoot jpg only, you should:
1) Save the original as your master and never ever touch it. Copy it to a working version.
2) Open the copy version and save it as tif (which is lossless)
3) Do all editing and saving on the tif version
4) For the final output (web, print, etc), you can save the tif version as a jpg file, while keeping the tif version as your master file.
5) Once the output file has been generated as jpg, do not edit and save it anymore.

HTH

Erik, I was wondering the same thing!

Cem, thanks for the great explanation. If I understand correctly and if I am shooting in RAW, do I still save in TIF when I am finished or go right to jpeg if I am not going to edit any further?

Cem_Usakligil

Erik, I was wondering the same thing!

Cem, thanks for the great explanation. If I understand correctly and if I am shooting in RAW, do I still save in TIF when I am finished or go right to jpeg if I am not going to edit any further?
Hi Wayne,

Personally, I always save a tif version as the master file and then save another one as jpg to be posted on the Internet. If the whole editing is taking place in a parametric editing program (such as Lightroom), then there is no need to save a tif version, one can then export a jpg version directly.

Cheers,