• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In Memoriam: A Man, Artist, Teacher, Friend and Inspiration: Per Volquartz 1947-2011

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Tomorrow is the Memorial Service for Per Volquartz.

_MG_0867ACR.jpg

The Last Workshop with Per Volquartz

Asher Kelman: Per Volquartz leading a critique of photographs

Tonopah Nevadah May 2011

The service will be at 2 Pm 30th of July 2011

Cabots and Sons
300 North Fair Oaks
Pasadena CA 91105

Please email Matthew Blais here if you are going to attend.

Asher Kelman

Please visit his website Per Volquartz/"Embracing Minimalism" If you are super lucky, there might be a print you love that can be still be purchased.

cincamas.jpg

© Per Volquartz: Cincamas

I was so sickened and sad to hear of Per's tragic passing. I was waiting to hear from him about learning from him and seeing more of his recent work including our May 2011 trip to Tonopah, ghost towns, abandoned mines and desert landscapes.

What a loss to all his family and friends! I only knew him for a short while but his generosity in courtesy and sharing was exemplary. I can see him now before me with his cane, angled at the Scheimpflug position guiding my set up to make the plane of focus work for the foreground weeds, the weathered wooden steps and the worn tattered wicker chair on the porch of an abandoned shack.

His work enthralled us: platinum prints with such deep blacks almost 3 dimensional shining from the hand rubbed wax. Most of all I will treasure the kindness he showed me and having me look forward to doing work together. What a fine man who doubtless influenced so many to do their best and pass these values on. Per's passing leaves a gap in the best we have to admire and follow for character, passion, modesty and respect.

Please add your pictures/comments and flowers.

Asher

Asher Kelman

I feel fortunate and privileged to have met Per this May in Tonopah. His helpfulness and lack of airs and genuine interest in our own photography needs so impressed me. I knew him the least in the shadows of all those who have worked with him for so long. Still I'm moved by this one outstanding and extraordinary man.

I watched him examine the sky and landscape, moving rocks to the side with his cane as if he had his own personal relationship with the the surface of the planet. Interesting that Jim posted a picture of Per surveying the mountain ranges from the top of a ridge. That seemed to me to summarize his love of the world we have temporary mastery over.

_MG_1144ACR at skyline.jpg

Asher Kelman: Per Volquartz Untitled #1

_MG_1168ACR.jpg

Asher Kelman: Per Volquartz Untitled #2

_MG_1162ACR.jpg

Asher Kelman: Per Volquartz Untitled #3

_MG_1163ACR.jpg

Asher Kelman: Per Volquartz Untitled #4

We planned so many things to do together. He was going to post his work here on OPF to encourage more of us to understand the values in LF photography and ways of seeing and making a photograph in so many fine ways. He offered to take me under his wing for film and print processing and I was so looking forward to learning from him. He did all these generous things and never with a sense of lineage to the greats, name-dropping or pointing out his time with Ansel Adams and the like. In the very short time I spent with him at Tonopah, we were all moved by his quiet, modest and intellectually honest approach to everyone, his prize students, old friends and newcomers to him, folk like Edde, Al and I.

His effect on others here and no doubt over the world is obviously such that his memory will always be kept alive with appreciation, gratitude, respect and joy.

May he rest in peace!

Asher

Asher Kelman

February 24-26 2012 at Pismo Beach California: Free Workshop to celebrate the life and influence of Per volquartz, an important, brilliant and modest artist. As we expected, the two houses we rented are close to full and there are also 6 photographers camping nearby!

Per's colleagues and former students will share stories and toast to the fortune of sharing part of life's journey with this extraordinary example of a fine man. There will be displays of fine art prints from the studios of the photographers present. These will be viewed, discussed and perhaps even exchanged or sold. Some of this work represents actual prints made under Per's direct guidance in the past several years, so the exhibits will be especially significant.

Jim Fitzgerald will talk on Carbon and Platinum Printing and Kim Weston will present the outstanding legacy of the Westons, from his grandfather Edward Weston to the present. He will also be participating and sharing his skills and insights in art figure studies. Add to the still life sets and then dawn and dusk shoots in the astonishingly beautiful Pismo dunes will provide any photographer with a superb experience. This way, Per volquartz' modest attitude, emphasis on simplicity and essentials and respect for everything around us will live on.

You can bring a film camera of any kind or even digital, just be open to the insights which Per's former students will gladly share. Also, you'll have access to LF Cameras of every kind if you just say hi.

Although we are essentially full, if you ask, I'll do my best to squeeze you in somehow. It's super-convenient from San Francisco, LA and there's also, dreamy sunset, surf, parasailing, dune buggies on certain parts and even horse riding by the waves.

Asher

Last edited:
Asher, I missed your post regarding Per's passing this summer. I did not know the man, but from your description he will be sorely missed by many. I will not be in the area next week, but this certainly looks to be an excellent opportunity for anyone who can set aside some time.

Asher Kelman

Asher, I missed your post regarding Per's passing this summer. I did not know the man, but from your description he will be sorely missed by many. I will not be in the area next week, but this certainly looks to be an excellent opportunity for anyone who can set aside some time.

Thanks Tom for adding your voice.

Let me add what I discovered this morning:

• The sand dunes are pristine and perfect for photography!

• There are seals one can approach within 3 ft on rocks a few miles away

• Cloth covered bi-planes doing loops and roll-overs fly over the houses we're renting

• MadMax guys in gyro copters fly by looking weird in their open machines peered by lawn mower engines, LOL!

• Rows of brightly colored 1950 homes can be photographed from a winding road that goes through Oaks

• A wooden pier leading to a stunning view of the winding coastline with rocks dunes and a harbor in the distances.

The standard of the photographs shown will be awesome. The cameras will be especially interesting. The folk great to meet and learn from.

Tom, I wish you could join us, but anyone else here I'd welcome too!

Imagine a workshop that's free. This one would be worth some $400 to $1200 depending on the guru, LOL!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Free Workshop in honor of Per Volquartz landscape, still life and portrait workshop!

Let me update.

The whole program is dedicated to the finest photography of a standard that honors the man we wish to celebrate. So we'll not only have a reunion of photographers who worked with him and were influenced or moved by his oeuvre d'art, but also there's a creative side he'd like. We'll have pristine sand dunes shadowed at sunset and dawn as well as simple still life setups of the kind he loved.

In addition, Jim Fitzgerald, one of the most accomplished analog image printers in the USA, is presenting a two part treat. First he'll talk on his process of making carbon transfer / platinum prints and then, at the end of the workshop, we'll visit his studio as he completes a series in front of us.

A surprise treat is the availability of a wonderful and 2 especially beautiful figure models, clothed/nude as you wish. if you have ground glass good enough for the task. Kim Weston will be there, of course as he's well known for artistic nudes and his workshops are always highly valued.

But most appreciated will be the pictures folk have of Per and also prints made in his workshops or the favorites of each photographer who has personal work to share.

It's all free except the cost of food, accommodation and models, which are at almost free rates that everyone can afford.

Asher

"f8 and be there!"

Asher Kelman

I just received these picture from Brian Vuillemenot.

oceano1A.jpg

Brian Vuillemenot: Oceano Dunes 1

oceano2A.jpg

Brian Vuillemenot: Oceano Dunes 2

This gives us a small sampling of the beauty possible at the Pismo beach and dunes. Per like minimalism so I guess he's have preferred the second picture.

Asher

Asher Kelman

The get together was fun. Some folks stayed in two houses near the beach and dunes while others made for the RV park and even slept in the trucks! Mostly folk used LF 8x10, 4x5 or even 16x20 film.

The first evening we went to the dunes at sunset and the experience was every bit as wonderful as we'd hoped for.

The next dawn, the light was magnificent but I stayed back in order to shoot the two models which was a good idea as they only stayed for 1 day and I got the best natural light outside with a friend holding a reflector and I stood on a table to get my shots. The pictures are being posted here and have mild nudity, NSFW.

That evening, Kim Weston gave a presentation of the famous prints of his grandfather Edward Weston and his uncle Brett.

_MG_2283 Hugo Kim Weston and Pepper.jpg

Asher Kelman: Kim Weston Showing "The Weston's Legacy"

It was so valuable to see at such close distances these meticulous prints. The impression is far better than seeing them behind museum glass or reprinted in a book. I know all the pictures, but Kim's presentation was a treat.

Jim Fitzgerald is a devoted LF ilm photographer and works his craft in Carbon Transfer printing. He gave us a print out and shared his pictures. Once again a delight. Then I met Brian Vuillemenot, (see his pictures previous post) who shoot LF but prints inkjet and his work was also impressive. I also had the chance to me,et a sailor returned from Spain, David Miller who makes really good B&W prints. So this was an atmosphere where one could learn from everyone.

Asher

Asher Kelman

I ended up trying still life on the dunes instead of nudes. They are much easier to pose and cost nothing!

_MG_2448garlic_Pepper on dunes 700 copy.jpg

Asher Kelman: Garlic and Pepper at Pismo Dunes

Peppers and garlic were cooked into an amazing omelette by Matt Stage! I couldn't believe my eyes that he didi it, but it tasted heavenly.

I chose the garlic and peppers after looking at the very simple compositions Per Volquartz, himself used. I didn't alter the marks on the sand from placing the garlic, as one can't do that with film. However, I learned to blow on the sand to smooth things over a tad. One needs a set of tongs to place items! Of course, I can correct the uneven sand and might do that or just leave it, as it was the truth.

_MG_2314Dawn on Dunes Jim Oliver Jim Fitzgerald Matt.jpg

Asher Kelman: Dawn preparing for first light

Jim Fitzgerald, Carbon Printer, Matt Stage, (who turns out to be e a magnificent
gourmet cook) and Jim Oliver, (fabulous guide and teacher of all things photographic).

Asher

fahim mohammed

Asher, you all seem to have had a very productive get together. The shots of the sand dunes by Brian are

are ' delicious '. I see you were up early!!

Thank you for sharing with us the coming together of these good folk and artists.