• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Sony RX100

fahim mohammed

In KL. I love Malaysia. Almost like being home.

Lovely evening here. Sitting outside. Coffee, surrounded by beautiful people, Marlboros; flight in the afternoon tomorrow. I might stop over in Doha for a couple of days. Meet up with some friends.

fahim mohammed

Wait. For something to come along.

p1424749658.jpg

I hear there are cams on the market that can sing and dance. Megapixels galore.

Reports say the image quality is out of this world.

I, somehow wonder, is it the image quality or the quality of the image that I should be worried about?

I am confused.

fahim mohammed

Well, here I am in KLIA. Waiting to board.

I have been around some countries. My view remains unchanged.

Malaysia is the friendliest country, the friendliest people and the most helpful.

If one wants to just associate with certain groups of people, the small island down south is bearable.

However, if one wants to experience the warmth, friendliness of various cultures and ethnic people from across the world..experience Malaysia.

And did I mention go thru KL international airport, and see what makes it the best. And how an airport staff and facilities should be. Wonderful hardly describes it. Just my opinion.

Regards.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Wait. For something to come along.

p1424749658.jpg

I hear there are cams on the market that can sing and dance. Megapixels galore.

Reports say the image quality is out of this world.

I, somehow wonder, is it the image quality or the quality of the image that I should be worried about?

I am confused.

You confused?

res ipsa loqutur

This picture as lone made your journey worthwhile!

Asher

fahim mohammed

Life has remained unchanged for thousands of years. Progress has come and it is accelerating at a very fast pace.

I found most villages have electricity, mobile and Internet. The road infrastructure needs a lot.

Food is available for everyone and is cheap. Water is plenty...I was drinking bottled water. There are two types. one for the tourists and one for the locals. the local one is cheaper and I stuck to it. about 10-20 cents. Schools are compulsory. There are no trains..just road and now air transport.

The rivers are crucial. For life and transport. The biggest is the Mekong that snakes it way across 6 countries.

Side rivers are wonderful. The provide the fish, irrigation, scenery to meditate, transport and tourism.

Not far from here runs the Ho Chi Min trail into Vietnam. Yes that one.

p1427944278-4.jpg

fahim mohammed

While driving between destinations, I would stop at random in small settlements or the larger villages.
We were passing through one such village, where there were no tourist coaches parked.

I stopped for lunch here, against the advice of my travel guide..the village was too small. We would find a better place to eat further on, as most tourists stopped there.

This then was the place to be!

Went in, sat away from the lady. All looked at me; more in curiosity than anything else.
A smile, a few gestures from the cam and this beautiful lady smiled shy.

I took a couple of shots, had my lunch, smiled at the people around. They smiled back.

We continued our journey.

p1431007590-5.jpg

fahim mohammed

During one's travels one usually meets many people from different lands. Some you bond with immediately and a friendship develops. I met three couples from three different countries.

A mature couple from the States traveling with their daughter. Lovely people. They wanted to find a place where they could watch their local team in a match early next morning at 0600 hrs.
We searched the town for a tv relay..to no account. But we got to know each other, however briefly.
What a family! We are in touch by email.

A Belgian couple. A retired spinal surgeon and his utterly charming wife. The two days we spent together were a joy. What an experience for the both of us. This is why I travel. To meet people. To learn from them. I am in touch with them as they travel through Cambodia.

And then the utterly unbelievable British couple from Nottingham. Young Huns. Been on the road for the past four of the planned seven months. What a time we had! Wonderful, wonderful people. No wonder then that I am biased towards the British. I expect to see them when they return home to England.

And finally..let me copy you an email I received from a wonderful Laotian girl.

' Thanks! so much for your e-mail sent a photo to me

Thank you very much
Hopfully I would like to see you in Laos again, you are very nice. '

The Lao people and their country. Simple, humble, hardworking, warm, generous and friendly.
It was a delightful privilege and pleasure for me to be a guest in their country. The visit has left a lasting impression on me.
Hopefully, those of them that I encountered briefly, too shall remember a lone traveler from a distant desert. I sincerely hope so.

p1431541086.jpg

fahim mohammed

I have tested the RX 100 for my needs. It is a gem of a pocket camera; a wonderful, small, addition to my camera kit. Especially for travel.

This last image shall close this thread. But the smile shall remain etched in my memory....

p1435484414-5.jpg

My thanks to all those that viewed this thread, and Asher for his comments.

Best regards.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
During one's travels one usually meets many people from different lands. Some you bond with immediately and a friendship develops. I met three couples from three different countries.

A mature couple from the States traveling with their daughter. Lovely people. They wanted to find a place where they could watch their local team in a match early next morning at 0600 hrs.
We searched the town for a tv relay..to no account. But we got to know each other, however briefly.
What a family! We are in touch by email.

A Belgian couple. A retired spinal surgeon and his utterly charming wife. The two days we spent together were a joy. What an experience for the both of us. This is why I travel. To meet people. To learn from them. I am in touch with them as they travel through Cambodia.

And then the utterly unbelievable British couple from Nottingham. Young Huns. Been on the road for the past four of the planned seven months. What a time we had! Wonderful, wonderful people. No wonder then that I am biased towards the British. I expect to see them when they return home to England.

And finally..let me copy you an email I received from a wonderful Laotian girl.

' Thanks! so much for your e-mail sent a photo to me

Thank you very much
Hopfully I would like to see you in Laos again, you are very nice. '

The Lao people and their country. Simple, humble, hardworking, warm, generous and friendly.
It was a delightful privilege and pleasure for me to be a guest in their country. The visit has left a lasting impression on me.
Hopefully, those of them that I encountered briefly, too shall remember a lone traveler from a distant desert. I sincerely hope so.

p1431541086.jpg

To my mind, Fahim, this thread contains the lives of so many vibrant souls, they continue to populate the world of the Laotians you have brought to us. You've opened up a place that values the basic elements of life, family, work, hospitality and appreciation of what one has not jealousy for what others possess.

I do hope many others will read this thread and enjoy your photography as much as I do and be equally inspired.

Asher