• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Beach in winter

Cem_Usakligil

Cem,

why did you not just wait till night - its dark then - with a high powered light on a boat you could have done it without the lens squinting!

you dutchies - you kill old people, cant wait for night fall and use x10 filters from the usa. must be all the drugs in the water over there.

cheers
Lol. But seriously, tsk, tsk! Lee filters are made right there in Hampsire, UK!

Tracy Lebenzon

Lol. But seriously, tsk, tsk! Lee filters are made right there in Hampsire, UK!

Perhaps they are supposed to be, but it appears that Lee doesn’t produce many filters ….. at least currently.

I got a ring back from them yesterday and they are saying that there is at least a 6 month wait for one of their 10 stop ND filters. WFT?! If I want one of their lesser ‘squinto’ filters it will only be a couple of months of waiting. Oh boy!

The person I spoke with said that there was a flaw in their production and that most of what they sold has come back. It appears that they haven’t quite figured out how to solve the issue.

Are these really worth a 6 month+ wait? Does anyone else make comparable filters?

They mentioned a couple of estores where I can at least get in line….

It explains why there were a couple listed on ebay for $225 and still bidding.

tsk tsk about sums it up.............................

Cem_Usakligil

Perhaps they are supposed to be, but it appears that Lee doesn’t produce many filters ….. at least currently.

I got a ring back from them yesterday and they are saying that there is at least a 6 month wait for one of their 10 stop ND filters. WFT?! If I want one of their lesser ‘squinto’ filters it will only be a couple of months of waiting. Oh boy!

The person I spoke with said that there was a flaw in their production and that most of what they sold has come back. It appears that they haven’t quite figured out how to solve the issue.

Are these really worth a 6 month+ wait? Does anyone else make comparable filters?

They mentioned a couple of estores where I can at least get in line….

It explains why there were a couple listed on ebay for $225 and still bidding.

tsk tsk about sums it up.............................

Sad to hear that, I know that Bart had to wait for several months for some of the Lee stuff to be delivered but I'm not sure whether the big stopper was one of those or not. Maybe he can tell it himself.

Helene Anderson

Some great images, one or two there that are really (to me) relaxing, dreamy to look at, quite soothing.

The one with the uprights going into the distance I really like.

Sad to hear that, I know that Bart had to wait for several months for some of the Lee stuff to be delivered but I'm not sure whether the big stopper was one of those or not. Maybe he can tell its himself.

It was agonizing, the big stopper was delivered from stock by one of my dealers, but the filter system in which to mount it came months later (one component took almost one year).

Cheers,
Bart

Last edited:

Jerome Marot

There are special filters available to astronymy amateurs for observing the sun. I wonder whether they would give good results. They are supposed to filter out the IR as well (or the observer would become blind...). They are not too expensive and readily available.

Tracy Lebenzon

Thanks for the clever suggestion. I looked briefly but didn’t find anything that fit the needed form factors. You’re right about the cost. Many of the filters used in telescopes appear < costly than filters used for cameras. A few were much more

I’ll get in line for one of the Lee BS filters in the near future. I don’t see using something like this a lot but they help produce a series of particular qualities that come in handy from time to time when capturing water and sky.

BTW, how are these when used to capture city lights?

Tracy Lebenzon

> You can't really capture city lights with the filters we are talking about, can you?

Never worked with one so I don’t have a direct answer. AFAIK ND filters capture visible light but at a reduced rate.

But the detail I'm after is if this filter tends to promote lights to echo or reflect more or if it tends to suppress this phenomena.

Typically when shooting city lights I don’t use a filter because the ones I have tend to create added light reflections. I dunno if the BS would tend to suppress or exaggerate this effect.

Jerome Marot

I understand better. The "filters" I had in mind come in the form of a foil. The foil is micron thin, so there would be no reflection between the two sides of the filter, which is the main problem with glass filters. There may be reflections between the lens and the back side of the foil but, first, the coating of the lens should take care of that and, second, one could build a device to hold the foil at an angle to suppress these.

I found some foil which I had, but it is an old model. It dates back to the 1999 eclipse. I will try it, but I am not sure that present foils are the same.

Edit: the transmission curve of a popular astro foil is given here and there is a problem: due to interference between the two very close layers, the spectrum exhibits a series of absorption rays. I don't think this will work...

Edit 2: about size of astro filters. They are usually available in 2 inches size and there are step-up rings from that size to common lens diameters.

Keep it! I don't believe in cliche exposures. You had your vision, then created it. Although others could be similar, they are never the same. Each holds a value of it's own.