• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Through the Windshield; By the Roadside

Zooming through the windscreen must have been done a million times before - but not by me. So here's a selection, interspersed by wildlife by the roadside, taken on a recent trip to Winnipeg.

through_the_windscreen_1_by_rufusthered-dcbqbvz.jpg

through_the_windshield_2_by_rufusthered-dcbqci6.jpg

The first notable sighting of wildlife was Momma Bear and her cubs.

momma_bear_by_rufusthered-dcbqd1x.jpg

bear_cubs_by_rufusthered-dcbqdjx.jpg

Then there was a shower on the roadway.

road_4_by_rufusthered-dcbqdtp.jpg

More photos to follow soon

Last edited by a moderator:
Some white pelicans awaited us at Rapid River

white_pelican_flying_by_rufusthered-dcbqed2.jpg

One shouted, "Hurrah for Canadians"

shouting_white_pelican_by_rufusthered-dcbqemn.jpg

A fisherman helped others get their dinner

white_pelican_and_fisherman_by_rufusthered-dcbqi8r.jpg

The next stop was Dick Heads Shop & Diner, where you can buy Dick Heads tobacco (we didn't ...)

dick_heads_shop_and_diner_by_rufusthered-dcbqj8z.jpg

But we did see some deer

oh_deer__by_rufusthered-dcbqjpa.jpg

Oh deer! I'm out of space again.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks for this fabulous travalog. I too shoot throught the window. I hope you were in the passenger side?

You are forunate to have wildlife.

How close are the bears to humans. Not too safe for them!

Asher

Thanks for this fabulous travalog. I too shoot throught the window. I hope you were in the passenger side?

You are forunate to have wildlife.

How close are the bears to humans. Not too safe for them!

Asher

I was definitely on the passenger side when photographing. The bears were quite far away from the car, with lens at the 200mm zoom. The main danger to bears - apart from ‘sport’ hunters - comes from stupid people that try to get too close. A few years ago, a tourist got close enough to feed a bear jellybeans. When the jellybeans ran out, the bear pawed the tourist trying to get more. The tourist suffered a slashed arm that he reported it to the government’s Natural Resources Ministry. They were obliged to track down the bear and shoot it. A sad and stupid episode. Cheers, Mike

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I was definitely on the passenger side when photographing. The bears were quite far away from the car, with lens at the 200mm zoom. The main danger to bears - apart from ‘sport’ hunters - comes from stupid people that try to get too close. A few years ago, a tourist got close enough to feed a bear jellybeans. When the jellybeans ran out, the bear pawed the tourist trying to get more. The tourist suffered a slashed arm that he reported it to the government’s Natural Resources Ministry. They were obliged to track down the bear and shoot it. A sad and stupid episode. Cheers, Mike

In fact, that story is far too common. Even those photographers who show off their brilliant pictures with a mother and cubs from 100 meters with a 600 mm lens, who think of htemselves and wildlife experts, are endangering the wild bears by making them accustomed to humans.

Then some follow up tourists will assume its safe, get mauled and now the bear is once again tracjed and shot!

I think it think, at least in the USA, be illegal to approach wild bears closer than a certain distance. The exif of the photographs could then be used as evidence against the photographer.

The toursits do not realize that "expert photographer's" are protected by angels they pray to, but angels forget to save for tourists that follow!

One cannot rely on hidden love!

Asher