• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

News: Passing of Irving Penn

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Yes, Rich, it's sad. However, an almost essential matter with art is that it often outlives the artist! So I really don't think the era ends, rather we have to invest time making the experience last past his death. As a start, here's several pictures from the reference you gave for comment:

07penn2_650.jpg

Irving Penn Studio and Condé Nast Publications:"Marcel Duchamp, New York 1948 and "Truman Capote, New York."1948

So how much have you been a follower of his work and now will you go back and enjoy them some more? What do you find remarkable about his work and his influences on photography, film and art in general.

Asher

Rich Beaubien

The first time I saw an Irving Penn photo (~1970) it was actually taken by an assistant. Taken in New Guinea the photo was of the whole contraption that he used as a portable studio. There was a huge portable reflector, a box of TLRs, a number of mud-masked individuals posing (you must have seen these photos) in front of the backdrop, a huge crowd watching and Mr. Irving was getting ready to take a photo.

Sometime later I realized that the Picasso photo I admired some years before was taken by the same guy. Many years later I met him at MOMA in New York. I stood in line with the rest of the fans waiting to get an autograph, but really wanting to just speak with him. Once I was within earshot I was totally captivated by the way he spoke and how he showed interest in each individual he spoke with. When my turn came we talked about “the work” and how one balances commerce and art. I will always remember his elegance and considerateness when talking with this brash young man. Tonight I’ll open a nice bottle of red wine and toast the gentleman.

--Rich

ErikJonas

Banned

There are so many names to learn.....I did not know of him....But again being fairly new i have so many names and works to learn....

Lot 84 at an upcoming Sotheby's sale:

http://catalogue.sothebys.com/events/PF9027

Genius.

Yes, very good.

However, we should be careful not to go by name too much...

For example, on that same page, lot 20:

EugeneAtget.jpg

looks quite similar to:
passageoftime1.jpg

The first one is valued at 30,000 - 40,000 Euro, the latter one (in color!) is from our own OPF member Cem. Cem also has another one that (from memory) looks even more like Atget's print (or does Atget's print look like Cem's), but I can't find the link.

I do understand that one image from a body of work with historical significance has a different value for some, but come on let's keep some perspective. A good photograph is a good photograph, names are secondary (unless you want to sell stuff).

Cheers,
Bart

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hmm, I'll have to think about that ;-)

Some help: (it's my Pink Floyd day ;-)

Money, get away
Get a good job with more pay
And your O.K.

Money, it's a gas
Grab that cash with both hands
And make a stash

New car, caviar, four star daydream
Think I'll buy me a football team

Money get back
I'm all right Jack
Keep your hands off my stack

Money, it's a hit
Don't give me that
Do goody good bullshit

I'm in the hi-fidelity
First class traveling set
And I think I need a Lear jet

Money, it's a crime
Share it fairly
But don't take a slice of my pie

Money, so they say
Is the root of all evil
Today

But if you ask for a rise
It's no surprise that they're
Giving none away
Away
Away
Away
Away...

"Hu Huh! I was in the right!"
"Yes, absolutely in the right!"
"I certainly was in the right!"
"You was definitely in the right. That geezer was cruising for a bruising!"
"Yeah!"
"Why does anyone do anything?"
"I don't know, I was really drunk at the time!"
"I was just telling him, he couldn't get into number 2. He was asking
Why he wasn't coming up on freely, after I was yelling and
Screaming and telling him why he wasn't coming up on freely.
It came as a heavy blow, but we sorted the matter out"​

Cem_Usakligil

Yes, very good.

However, we should be careful not to go by name too much...

For example, on that same page, lot 20:

EugeneAtget.jpg

looks quite similar to:
passageoftime1.jpg

The first one is valued at 30,000 - 40,000 Euro, the latter one (in color!) is from our own OPF member Cem. Cem also has another one that (from memory) looks even more like Atget's print (or does Atget's print look like Cem's), but I can't find the link.

I do understand that one image from a body of work with historical significance has a different value for some, but come on let's keep some perspective. A good photograph is a good photograph, names are secondary (unless you want to sell stuff).

Cheers,
Bart
Hi Bart,

I am honored and humbled at the same time. Eugene Atget is one of my personal heroes and I am overwhelmed for being compared to him, way too much credit for me if you ask me :).

Thanks!

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Bart,

I am honored and humbled at the same time. Eugene Atget is one of my personal heroes and I am overwhelmed for being compared to him, way too much credit for me if you ask me :).

Thanks!

Cheers,
and I'm sure, he'd haver swopped his scene for your with the fan of light coming in from the upper left and that floor.

The fact that he used that composition is a bummer or you would need a shredder for all your money you couldn't spend, LOL!

Who knows, maybe your pictures will make your grandchildren very wealthy one day!

Asher