• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Nikon 1

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
What a lot of comment on the new Nikon cameras and lenses on the Internet today! Mainly negative, but read the following: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/3281713418/nikon-1-system-first-impressions.

Any camera with faster autofocus and write times than the D3s is an impressive bit of business. And the option to shoot full resolution stills while recording video might be a game changer in photography. What do other people think?

Cheers
Mike
Michael,

This camera is an upgrade from most of the shirt pocket cameras and a great camera for all family snaps and mementos. The only benefit is the small size compared to the low end Nikon and Canon DSLR's, but that later win with much larger APS-C size sensors. I think it all comes down to what you wull actually take with you.

It's a pity indeed if you only have a picture that can be printed to 8x10 with this new camera, but most folk need nothing more. I still would go for a Ricoh GXR which has APS-C size sensor and an adapter for Leica M mount lenses too.

Still, bottom line, if I was given one as a gift, no doubt it would be the camera i'd use!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Michael,
And the option to shoot full resolution stills while recording video might be a game changer in photography. What do other people think?
I think that might before long become the preferred mode for "advanced amateur/compact professional" photography.

One big advantage of essentially doing stills as a frame grab from video (if that is what is happening here - maybe not) is that it circumvents one big problem with EVF cameras - finder lag. With the "frame grab from video" paradigm, what you see is what you get (time-wise, in particular).

Best regards,

Doug

Hi Asher & Doug

Asher: Interestingly the pixel density for the N1 is about the same as for Sony's NEX-7. My little P7000 gives provides quite good image quality when printed compared to my D3s for photos taken under low ISO lighting conditions. Because the pixel density for the N1 is about twice that of the P7000, my guess is that image quality for the N1 will be fine for printed photos up to 11*17.

Doug: Like you, I'm not sure about how the N1 grabs full resolution stills multiple images. Nikon reports that in one mode the camera records 20 shots and then offers the photographer the best five. I get the concept but the 'devil in the detail' concerns how well it does that (e.g., aesthetic versus technical concerns), which nobody knows yet. Exciting possibilities that may be wonderful or mundane in terms of outcome.

All the best
Mike

Bob Rogers

I am somewhat intrigued by the high speed video -- up to 1200 fps. You could do some really interesting studies of musician's fingers with that.

On Thom Hogan's website he brings up the interesting possibility of putting a 35 or 50 f/1.8 on it.

I don't imagine I'll ever have one, but they're fun to look at.

Jerome Marot

I am somewhat intrigued by the high speed video -- up to 1200 fps.

Cameras able to shoot videos at that frame rate have been available for some time, most notably from Casio. They are able to use a faster frame rate by reducing resolution considerably. I would expect Nikon to do the same.

Doug Kerr

A colleague in Australia (a respected camera patent watcher) has called to my attention a US patent (Nikon) he believes covers the AF operation of the new Nikon 1 series. It may collaterally give insight into other aspects of the overall operation.

I have it but owing to pressure of other business (preparing for a reissue of Carla's second book, arguing politics with my former brother-in-law and my stepson, trouble-shooting the disk drive in the radio in my truck, recalibrating the thermostat in the heater in my fish tank, correcting the tire pressures in my Maxima, incorrectly established by a service shop, getting ready to attend the funeral of a long-time friend, etc.), I have not yet had a chance to look at it.

For those who might want to do just that, it is US patent 7 873 267 (Kusaka). For those who do not have a favorite US patent source, I often use pat2pdf.org . (This is a test of how carefully you read my stuff!)

Best regards,

Doug

Bob Rogers

Cameras able to shoot videos at that frame rate have been available for some time, most notably from Casio. They are able to use a faster frame rate by reducing resolution considerably. I would expect Nikon to do the same.

According to the website, the Nikon 1 uses a 120 line video frame for the 1200 fps mode, while Casio uses a 64 line frame at 1000 fps. But it can shoot 1080i/60fps and 640x480 @ 400 fps.

I know the Casio does not record audio with high speed video. I don't know if the Nikon 1 can do that or not. It would be particularly useful for my purpose if it would.

Interesting quote from today's <photographyblog.com>

"The Nikon J1 is currently the most popular compact system camera in the UK. According to figures supplied by Nikon, the J1 was the best-selling CSC model in the week before Christmas, outperforming its nearest rival (the Panasinic G3) by almost two to one.

The Nikon J1 also achieved the distinction of registering the most ever sales for a mirrorless camera in a single week since the category was first established, helping Nikon to become the number 2 brand for compact system cameras in the UK."

Cheers
Mike

Jeanne McCallie

I just got the J1, and so far I am happy with it- however, I am a beginner to the max. My last camera was just your basic point-and-shoot. I chose the j1 because of its portability. I wanted a decent camera that would fit in my pockets- that way I can always have it. The little local shop I bought the camera from says they expect 4 new lenses from nikon by Christmas, and other manufacturers are already producing compatible lenses. Not that I am entirely sure how this affects me- as a complete noob, I am still in the phase of randomly changing settings to see what happens. :) But for an affordable choice for someone who is always on the go- in a treestand, on the slopes- this seems to be an excellent choice.

If anyone has any pointers for using this set up, I would love to learn!

What I got for roughly $900:

Nikon J1 body (in pink, so if I drop it in the snow or woods it stands out)
10-30mm lens
30-110mm lens
3 year full replacement
Two UV filters (Promaster 40.5mm ??)
1 battery and charger

And a goofy color coordinated accessory pack:)

But if you are on a major budget, adorama has a similar set up- minus 3 year plan and high end filters, plus $6 filter and memory card, for $660ish.

I just got the J1, and so far I am happy with it- however, I am a beginner to the max. My last camera was just your basic point-and-shoot. I chose the j1 because of its portability. I wanted a decent camera that would fit in my pockets- that way I can always have it. The little local shop I bought the camera from says they expect 4 new lenses from nikon by Christmas, and other manufacturers are already producing compatible lenses. Not that I am entirely sure how this affects me- as a complete noob, I am still in the phase of randomly changing settings to see what happens. :) But for an affordable choice for someone who is always on the go- in a treestand, on the slopes- this seems to be an excellent choice.

If anyone has any pointers for using this set up, I would love to learn!

What I got for roughly $900:

Nikon J1 body (in pink, so if I drop it in the snow or woods it stands out)
10-30mm lens
30-110mm lens
3 year full replacement
Two UV filters (Promaster 40.5mm ??)
1 battery and charger

And a goofy color coordinated accessory pack:)

But if you are on a major budget, adorama has a similar set up- minus 3 year plan and high end filters, plus $6 filter and memory card, for $660ish.

My next investment, if I were you, would be the adapter to mount Nikons F mount lens on this little gem!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
My next investment, if I were you, would be the adapter to mount Nikons F mount lens on this little gem!

Jake, Michael and Jeannie,

I'm so impressed with your choices to buy this tiny but powerful camera. The X 2.7 adapter is simply amazing as one can use an el cheap 85mm f 1.8 and end up with a 229mm equivalent telephoto lens for very little extra outlay. Using a 50mm 1.8 will delver a 135mm lens perfect for portraits. The extra light, means you will not have to push to higher noisy ISO levels and at the same time benefit from the soft background blur. This system does not need wishes for this and that and the other. It's there right now and AF works!

With the NEX system from Sony, mostly it's promises and waiting. There are few lenses although they do have an adapter. The Zeiss lenses are prohibitive. Now I wish there was an equally adaptable APS-C size sensor mirror less camera. I suppose the GXR Leica M mount is a good candidate, but such lenses are not AF and don't come so reasonably priced.

Perhaps the 4/3 mount has such an adapter. Likely it has, just that I'm not a 4/3 shooter. To me, the revelation that one gets 600 mm worth of reach with a 4/3 camera using a relatively bargain price lens, is a major breakthrough I'm price and value. See Robert's work here

Jake, Michael and Jeannie,

I'm so impressed with your choices to buy this tiny but powerful camera. The X 2.7 adapter is simply amazing as one can use an el cheap 85mm f 1.8 and end up with a 229mm equivalent telephoto lens for very little extra outlay. Using a 50mm 1.8 will delver a 135mm lens perfect for portraits. The extra light, means you will not have to push to higher noisy ISO levels and at the same time benefit from the soft background blur. This system does not need wishes for this and that and the other. It's there right now and AF works!

With the NEX system from Sony, mostly it's promises and waiting. There are few lenses although they do have an adapter. The Zeiss lenses are prohibitive. Now I wish there was an equally adaptable APS-C size sensor mirror less camera. I suppose the GXR Leica M mount is a good candidate, but such lenses are not AF and don't come so reasonably priced.

Perhaps the 4/3 mount has such an adapter. Likely it has, just that I'm not a 4/3 shooter. To me, the revelation that one gets 600 mm worth of reach with a 4/3 camera using a relatively bargain price lens, is a major breakthrough I'm price and value. See Robert's work here

I wish I could purchase on of these but no funds at the moment. I don't think I would anyway, not untill they increase the sensor size past the micro 4/3 size.

The J1/N1 body with a near d90 sensor perhaps? One can dream, but If I were dreaming I would hope for a 35mm sensor in a small body like this!

Jerome Marot

Don't let the boys here convince you to buy new toys.... Since you have not yet presented what pictures interest you, they have no way to know what you need. ;)