• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Photoshop CS3 Beta release 15 Dec 2006

Harvey Moore

Asher Kelman said:
So what are the favorite new features you have tried?

Asher

Bridge and ACR 4.0 are excellent vs CS2 versions. I am pleased that the Lightroom Develope module features are pretty much intact. Speed is excellent, and I now am able to open jpg and tif files in ACR for non destructive editing.

One minor disapointment, CS3 still uses the old style crop tool like I mentioned a few posts above this, I found the Lightroom crop tool very intuitive, and the "Rule of Thirds" lines are very cool.

The CS3 interface seems easier to use for me, and the functions there also are much faster than CS2.

I reprocessed a few old images, and the results looked better on screen, and the time to reprocess was less than my recollection for the first time around with CS2. Probably a result of my small growth in PS skills as well as improvements in CS3 over CS2.

I played all the CS3 videos on the NAPP site, that helped me with a jump start. I will be going over the new stuff during the next few days to learn more.

I am on a PC, Athlon64 3500+ processor, 2 gb memory, 256mb video memory.

I have seen reports around the photo sites like fm etc re problems, but have not been able to duplicate any yet, and I had only one minor glitch when I had 2 copies of ACR running at the same time.

John Hollenberg

Got CS3 running smoothly. Apparently there is a bug that causes all kinds of problems when you:

1) Edit -> Preferences -> Plugins
2) Mark checkbox for "Additional Plugins Folder", when the folder it is pointing to is the CS2 plugins folder

At least this is true for myself and one other poster on the forums. Unchecking this box and just copying the plugins manually from CS2 to CS3 in the correct folders seems to have fixed the problem.

--John

Diane Fields

John Hollenberg said:
Got CS3 running smoothly. Apparently there is a bug that causes all kinds of problems when you:

1) Edit -> Preferences -> Plugins
2) Mark checkbox for "Additional Plugins Folder", when the folder it is pointing to is the CS2 plugins folder

At least this is true for myself and one other poster on the forums. Unchecking this box and just copying the plugins manually from CS2 to CS3 in the correct folders seems to have fixed the problem.

--John

John, I had that problem---I browsed to the plugin folder in CS2, also called for my 'legacy' SN, I put that in and it said it was invalid. However----next time I opened CS3there they were. Go figure LOL.

Diane

Will_Perlis

I think I'm going to love that "Group as Stack and the loupe.

No major troubles so far on my soon-to-be-history dying 1Gb laptop. I agree, Bridge and PS are faster, and my Focus Magic sharpener plug-in works fine. The install didn't like Firefox running at the same time so it told me to shut it down but then didn't resume. I did the install from the beginning again and it worked.

Torn apart

With all the latest improvements coming in for both ACR and PS, it's gonna be really hard to make a decision which tool use for what. Color correction tabs of the ACR (HSL sliders, configurable parametric curve) kick ass, but per-channel curving of PS would still give you a more precise control. Split toning for duo-tones in ACR has no direct match in PS, but PS' Black and White adjustment layer, with its 7 channels sliders and direct "on-image" control can make anybody crazy with the question "why can't we have both in the same tool?".

I guess the solution for now would be to import the RAW file as a smart object (at least for those images that you know you gonna work hard with for whatever reason), so you'd be able to use the both set of tools interchangeably...

Man isn't this the best PS version ever...:)

CS3 VP experiment

Played a little with new Vanishing point capabilities. As you know, now it's possible to rotate planes (as opposed to have them at 90 degrees only in CS2) as well as render a single image across multiple planes.

Here's a little sketch I made, called it Making the book:

117412116-L.jpg

Enjoy!

CS3 BW Experiment

Playing with smart filters (USM) and new Black and White adjustment layer.
The latter allows for rather intuitive and agressive b/w conversions.

In this case I almost got IR effect out of the plain vanilla color shot:

General Grant, Sequoia NP, CA, US:

117425080-L.jpg

CS3 rocks!

Cory Silken

pro member
Yes, the new B&W coversion options are great! They're going to dramatically change how I work.

A couple bugs I found are the histogram palette disappears when I try to drag it to my second monitor. Also ACR locks up sometimes when working on DNGs and I have it set to update the embedded .jpg.

some more tutorials here

Jan Luursema

I already used ACR for quite some BW work, but it has gotten a lot better! Want to darken the sky? Just drag the blues down. Hardly any posterization, which would be very different if working on an 8 bit file in photoshop. I just wish they had those BW adjustment layer presets in ACR.

The new interface is just fabulous. You wonder why they didn't think of this before!

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Nill Toulme said:
Nicolas, mon cher ami, that would be "workarounds." A turn around would be to decide to give up on the Mac and go back to the PC. ;-)

HO! NO!

Thanks Nill, we have to learn everyday a little more, even if my next Mac will be Intel biased (pun intended ;-)

Bev Sampson

If the BETA is available only fsor CS2, I don't understand why I received the announcement from Adobe. I am running CS (PS 8). Anyone running the original CS being able to download CS3? I purchase every other PS release and was planning to purchase CS3, mainly for the latest revsion of ACR.

Bev

Bev,

Bev Sampson said:
If the BETA is available only fsor CS2, I don't understand why I received the announcement from Adobe. I am running CS (PS 8). Anyone running the original CS being able to download CS3? I purchase every other PS release and was planning to purchase CS3, mainly for the latest revsion of ACR.

Bev

Donwload is available for everybody.
However, only registered users (those who register their CS2 with Adobe) would be (in most cases - there are quirks) able to get the new activation number and use this beta for 30 days.
The rest may can enjoy the new functionality for 2 days only. That is, unless they find a "workaround" ...:)

John,

John_Nevill said:
I felt compelled to put a review together on CS3 here and have slipped in some zoomify examples. Enjoy!
Very nice review!
Matches my personal feelings almost 100%.
I've spent about same time with CS3, but since I am lazy I didn't write up much.
Great job!

Diane Fields

John_Nevill said:
I felt compelled to put a review together on CS3 here and have slipped in some zoomify examples. Enjoy!

John, very good review and just about how I feel. I may never need LR (I've been using the develop module since the beginning, but now ACR in CS3).

A question---did you unclick the scripts in preferences or do it elsewhere?

Diane

Bev Sampson

Nikolai Sklobovsky said:
Donwload is available for everybody.
However, only registered users (those who register their CS2 with Adobe) would be (in most cases - there are quirks) able to get the new activation number and use this beta for 30 days.
The rest may can enjoy the new functionality for 2 days only. That is, unless they find a "workaround" ...:)

Thanks Nikolai. Guess I will wait for the release and purchase then as I was planning to do anyway.

Bev

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Can't find the "web Gallery"in the automate menu, anybody where it is now?
I'had customized the web photo gallery in CS2 and would love to be able to use it again in CS3...

John_Nevill

Diane, yes I unchecked the all the scripts in the preference panel.

BTW, my review link is now dead, as i've just heard that the datacenter that my host provider uses has gone into receivership! I cant even pull my databases, all of hostcolor europe have had their servers disconnected....Don't you just love the datacenter outsourcing!

John_Nevill

Nicolas,

Try this:

Workaround:
1) Copy the CS2 Presets from Adobe Photoshop CS2 > Presets > Web Photo Gallery to Adobe Photoshop CS3 > Presets
2) Copyt the WebContactSheetII.plugin from Adobe Photoshop CS2 > Plug- Ins > Adobe Photoshop Only > Automate to Adobe Photoshop CS3 > Plug- Ins > Automate
3) (Intel-based Macs) Select the Photoshop CS3 app and do Get Info on it and select "Open using Rosetta"
4) Launch Photoshop and choose Web Photo Gallery from the File > Automate menu

Jörgen Nyberg

John, just had to ask, what happens to EOSpix now?
Do you have any idea when, if at all, the servers go online?

Cheer's Jörgen (aka nybygge)