• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Reading the reading

Tracy Lebenzon

Jerome may well be saying that surfaces are scalable. nope that was me!

these two works above are beautiful in there own ways - Jerome has light and rhythm that is in Tracy's but the scale is different..

each directs the viewer along different paths ... from where I am people seem to find things that confirm what they belive to be.

bill in relation to the moon - its true so some extent ... we don't have to ask and we don't mostly ... but when we do it can be fun...

01rework.jpg

Grope For Luna​

thanks for the additions and thoughts

Thanks for the explanation and the kind comments.

I'm lost as to what you mean by scalability. Would you kindly elaborate?

Tracy Lebenzon

I guess I can only answer for myself,

I use focus to push the mind that views the image where I want it to go im my work - what i may feel is important or what I may feel is not - but the act of forcing the reader may even have some meaning - for me that is.. front / back / side is only relevent to me within the work and only gets used as an expression of what ideas I am working with.

viewing (in real terms) work is as much a physical experance as mental. when I make my work I stand / sit / move and change - my ideal work station is standing..
my ideal image size would be immersive.

opps less sense on this post ... stop it !

ok

Thanks for explaining that. My comment was guilty of the “one idea fits all circumstances” kind of dumb question that is asked when trying to get a finger hold on new techniques.

If you don’t mind, in your “Half.Dome.4” image, how was this made? Is this a single image or a collection that is overlaid?

Thanks Mark,

Regarding "Beneath the Surface 1" I like your comment about "absent things on the right." They are like an unknown intruders footprints. As for the war cry. . .I knew there was some Scott in me.

Bill

Mark Hampton

If you don’t mind, in your “Half.Dome.4” image, how was this made? Is this a single image or a collection that is overlaid?

Tracy - its a single exposure - under by around 6 stops in camera - then worked through ACR and PS. This combined with a high ISO / selective focus made the image.

thanks for stopping by and commenting.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I’ve been building a new series called “Snowbrook, Beneath the Surface,” and it involves the natural layering of winter.

webSnowbrookBeneathTheSurface1.jpg

“Snowbrook, Beneath the Surface 1”

webSnowbrookBeneathTheSurface2.jpg

“Snowbrook, Beneath the Surface 4”​

Bill,

I'm impressed. Is that concrete or just the ice we are seeing?

Asher

Bill,

I'm impressed. Is that concrete or just the ice we are seeing?

Asher

Asher,
There is no concrete in the area. I was out walking with my three dogs (who were on long leashes) and they decided to take the woods trail rather than stay out in the fields. When we got to this stream, I tied them to a tree and spent about an hour with my camera.

Since we are quite late this year in getting snow here, the stream freezes and thaws and also gets covered with water each time it rains, with the result being a multi-layered surface. I went back a couple of days ago, but the stream had a light coating of snow so nothing was visible. The weather is supposed to turn warmer later in the week, and they are predicting rain again, so I may get another opportunity.
Here is another from that same day.

webSnowbrookBeneathTheSurface3new.jpg

Thanks for looking and commenting, and hope that you like this one.
Bill

Mark Hampton

What a great idea for a series, it could be endless. I particularly like the elegance of Grace Kelly, the beautiful layers and the visual barriers. Am I reading into the image because of your title? I also like the fact that your concept of "none existence" has a product. lately, for whatever reason, I find myself harping back to that old philosophical question "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?" It is apparent through your concept, it does as long as people keep looking at your work (or not as the argument seemed to always revert). Very nice capture. As an aside, she and Sophia Lauren were always my favorites.

Made me remember a time when I was in Las Vegas and I got on an elevator that the comedian Bill Cosby was alone in. I reached out and shook his hand and said "I'm Bill, you probably don't remember me. . . we never met in Boston." It took him about 10 seconds before he realized we really never met. He had a good laugh and got off at the next floor.

Bill

Bill,

coming back to this post - I would say yes. Grace Kelly - its your idea .. what you find is your image .. what I made it you can only read as Grace Kelly, when you think grace kelly - she is there.. but who is grace !

cheers !

Mark Hampton

Asher,
There is no concrete in the area. I was out walking with my three dogs (who were on long leashes and they decided to take the woods trail rather than stay out in the fields. When we got to this stream, I tied them to a tree and spent about an hour with my camera.

Since we are quite late this year in getting snow here, the stream freezes and thaws and also gets covered with water each time it rains, with the result being a multi-layered surface. I went back a couple of days ago, but the stream had a light coating of snow so nothing was visible. The weather is supposed to turn warmer later in the week, and they are predicting rain again, so I may get another opportunity.
Here is another from that same day.

webSnowbrookBeneathTheSurface3new.jpg

Thanks for looking and commenting, and hope that you like this one.
Bill

and this kills..

mental work

Cem_Usakligil

The Emperor's New Clothes

20120101_6358-HDR37.jpg

Grace Kelly - M Hampton

Mark this reminds me of the famous story by Hans Christian Andersen. I am certain that there must be other lookers out there who haven't got the the slightest idea what this is all about; just like me. It isn't easy for one to admit that one doesn't get it. There I've said it. Now I'll go and hide somewhere.

Mark Hampton

Mark this reminds me of the famous story by Hans Christian Andersen. I am certain that there must be other lookers out there who haven't got the the slightest idea what this is all about; just like me. It isn't easy for one to admit that one doesn't get it. There I've said it. Now I'll go and hide somewhere.

Cem - you are of course correct - the work has aspects in it that do relate to a Hans Christian Andersen story The Snow Queen. I turn the idea of the mirror in thart stoy around.

no need to hide Cem :)

Mark Hampton

sorry Jerome ! I will go and read some more stories and find one that may apply :)

Jerome,

So - I have spent time today reading these stories - some good ideas can be had reading..

I am still no closer to what Cem was referring to... its funny how when things are not directly in ones frame of reference they seem like some kind of foreign language.

funny thing about language I have noticed when you dont ken it, it seems like some kind of conspiracy - people taking fast - they all seem to understand whats being said - but I don't - Ha ! i think they are making it up to annoy me.

next time I am abroad I will take this up with these people !

aw well back to Hans I guess !

Mark Hampton

ma sisters twa heids

opps - here is some more work - different ideas - working over time. hope you enjoy it as much as I did making it.

20120108_6586both.jpg

ma sisters twa heids - M Hampton​

I have taken the opportunity to post two slightly larger versions below.

20120108_6580c.jpg

ma sisters twa heids - M Hampton

20120108_6586.jpg

ma sisters twa heids - M Hampton​

hope it finds people well!

Cem_Usakligil

Completely lost me there Cem. In what way is the work you talk about related to the story?

I hadn't though of the connection.

Thanks for stopping my reading of all those stories :)
IMO, the connection is very strong. You have showed a picture of 'Grace Kelly' which has no visible or symbolic relationship to the said actress. We can take your title at face value and say that it is a good picture of Grace Kelly or we can say that it does not make any sense. I have confessed to not being an art expert by choosing the latter option.

Mark Hampton

I like the juxtaposition of the two pictures. I don't think that one of them could work individually, but they work very well next to another.

Jerome

thanks for the comment - there are two others in the small work - Ma brothers twa heids.

none of the pictures figure a brother or sister or heids for that matter. But hey that's a metaphor for you !

cheers

Mark Hampton

IMO, the connection is very strong. You have showed a picture of 'Grace Kelly' which has no visible or symbolic relationship to the said actress. We can take your title at face value and say that it is a good picture of Grace Kelly or we can say that it does not make any sense. I have confessed to not being an art expert by choosing the latter option.

Cem interesting idea you're expressing - because you find no connection to grace kelly in the work - there is none... that reading as you point out is a choice and perfectly acceptable.

The title spins the image and changes the way it is read. In this case the full title of the work was -

Woman i have never met but photographed - Grace Kelly - M Hampton

its part of a number of works based on the same idea.

thanks for the input in the thread, things - ideas need to be questioned and tested.

cheers

Mark Hampton

stack2a.jpg

in this work it's not just the images on screen - but the grey squares in your mind that work on my subject ..

bill mentioned the tree in the forest falling and does it make a sound - well when do the grey squares exist....

Tracy Lebenzon

^^ Sweet! A great example of art from the ordinary and a fine use of B&W. A color rendition would not be nearly as compelling.

I'm reminded of the Beetles’ song, Fixing a hole.

What size will the print be?

^^ Sweet! A great example of art from the ordinary and a fine use of B&W. A color rendition would not be nearly as compelling.

I agree, like it B&W. If the grid were a color other than white, the grey in our mind's eye would change and become the color compliment.

Bill

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

stack2a.jpg

in this work it's not just the images on screen - but the grey squares in your mind that work on my subject ..

bill mentioned the tree in the forest falling and does it make a sound - well when do the grey squares exist....

Let me offer this setting:

As I lay on my love-soaked bed
An angel came to kiss my head
I caught one gown
And wrestled her down
to be my love in death-town.

Leonard Cohen

Canadian Poet and songwriter

Asher

Mark Hampton

Tracy - thanks. its diffcult to stop your mind from wondering... size wise at the moment i think about the size it is.. I like the way it works... it seems to have an ernrgy at this size that suits...

i like the idea of pearing into it rather than been able to fully expolre..

I agree, like it B&W. If the grid were a color other than white, the grey in our mind's eye would change and become the color compliment.

Bill

Bill - i will sit all night changin colours ... lol

Let me offer this setting:

As I lay on my love-soaked bed
An angel came to kiss my head
I caught one gown
And wrestled her down
to be my love in death-town.

Leonard Cohen

Canadian Poet and songwriter

Asher

Asher - this sent me on a cohen search on youtube (thats not going to end till late) then i found it was a peom - ithink ?

thanks

Tracy Lebenzon

Tracy - thanks. its diffcult to stop your mind from wondering...

You’re welcome, but the word was “wandering” and not “wondering.” As in given the nature of some photos, one doesn't find them self wondering very long why it would take more than a couple of seconds before an intelligent mind starts wandering…..

size wise at the moment i think about the size it is.. I like the way it works... it seems to have an ernrgy at this size that suits...

If you say so, but remember that it’s not very smart make a print too small and thereby make your viewers work. People are put off when they have to strain and there little or no reward for their effort.

i like the idea of pearing into it rather than been able to fully expolre..

Pearing? Do you mean “peering” or are you perhaps attempting to make a metaphor by writing “paring.” “Peering” means to look keenly or with difficulty at someone or something. This makes sense given the context.

For the other possibility, “paring” means to peel or cut the outer section away. In the context it could be used as a metaphor that’s intended to inspire a 2nd or 3rd look so the viewer “gets it” providing, of course, there is anything to get. This would be the case alluded to in your text to describe the work.

Maybe your mind was wondering between the two concepts? <smile>

But on the topic related to paring, I'm reminded - have you tried to do one of these redundant themed works where there is a larger single subject subtly displayed among all panels? Perhaps one of your ‘women I've never met but photographed’ could be alluded to amongst the rain drops and windowpanes………………something like Marilyn Monroe (or whomever) in tears. Just a thought………………

Anywho, again, nice work. It has an appeal to those who lean towards OCD about finding patterns.

Mark Hampton

You’re welcome, but the word was “wandering” and not “wondering.” As in given the nature of some photos, one doesn't find them self wondering very long why it would take more than a couple of seconds before an intelligent mind starts wandering…..

Tracy,

thanks for feedback.

I guess using spell checkers is a mixed blessing !

If you say so, but remember that it’s not very smart make a print too small and thereby make your viewers work. People are put off when they have to strain and there little or no reward for their effort.

as I am not smart I will make the work at the size that suits it and not the viewer. this is not a product like a can of juice. i expect and demand the viewer to work. if they dont want to work then they can (in scots) git to france.

Pearing? Do you mean “peering” or are you perhaps attempting to make a metaphor by writing “paring.” “Peering” means to look keenly or with difficulty at someone or something. This makes sense given the context.

For the other possibility, “paring” means to peel or cut the outer section away. In the context it could be used as a metaphor that’s intended to inspire a 2nd or 3rd look so the viewer “gets it” providing, of course, there is anything to get. This would be the case alluded to in your text to describe the work.

ahh bloody spelling again - but the point is made well . from the context peering seems the correct guess - but paring or even peeing could be assumed

Maybe your mind was wondering between the two concepts? <smile>

But on the topic related to paring, I'm reminded - have you tried to do one of these redundant themed works where there is a larger single subject subtly displayed among all panels?

can you please make this simple - I cant remember doing a "redundant themed" work.

Perhaps one of your ‘women I've never met but photographed’ could be alluded to amongst the rain drops and windowpanes………………something like Marilyn Monroe (or whomever) in tears. Just a thought………………

no that would be trite.

Anywho, again, nice work. It has an appeal to those who lean towards OCD about finding patterns.

thanks !