• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

cheap for now or?

Kalin Bucholz

FIRST POST!!!

Ok so im a photo student and despite my wishes for no one to buy me any photo equipment my dad got me a Manfrotto tripod(around 150$). So this has forced me into this situation.

Should I get a ball head for under 150$ just for now and later on when I have more money get the one I really want, the Arcatech GP. 399$ not including QR plate.

OR, save the 150$ until I get another 150$ to put towards the GP. I could get by without the head for now but I was wondering what everyone thinks.

Because he got me this tripod now my problem is should I get the low end ball head to match up with the quality of the tripod, because whats the point of getting a G2 and having sit on those legs?

So in summary I would say im stuck. I can get a Photo Clam for around 150$ My networking skills are strong and I get offers to do a lot of freelance work so im thinking should I get the good Arcatech legs and head for 1200$ or see if I can work with the Manfrotto legs and photo clam head for now.

Any insight would really help.

Kalin

p.s. I have looked at a lot of other ball heads and the range of motion is just well, lacking. When I saw the design of the GP I fell in love with the design principles.

Kalin Bucholz

A d7000 with nothing more than a 200mm. I just keep hearing reviews for heads costing 150$ that have creep in the head. And im a perfectionist when it comes to my photography and I just cant justify 150$ for a head that creeps. So it may not even have to be a ball head.

I do studio work, on location work like shooting pictures for a business. Eventually I will be putting portfolio pictures for snowboarding. I have no interest in landscape.