• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Ricoh GR: SUNSET BLVD: Fast Urban Landscapes! Autopano Giga Stitched + Filters too!!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Women are advised to have in their wardrobe at least one small black dress! It's so amenable to different tasks and can be repurposed with just a bracelet, scarf or necklace.

For the photographer, there's a device with as much versatility and even more value!
It's found in the new breed of compact APS-C and larger serious pro-level cameras, the iconic leader is in contention with offerings by Sony, Fuji and Ricoh Pentax. But the Ricoh GR, with its fixed 28mm superb optic and the nifty 21mm accessory lens, makes a wonderful choice for anyone who must have one of the best of these little black marvels for their everyday carry-around shots.

I carry the Ricoh GR everywhere. It replaces my Ricoh GXR with the brilliant 50 mm lens. 28mm works far better for me. 50 mm is wonderful for taking tables of guests at a wedding or other event, but for street work, the newer Ricoh GR is best! I've decided to document Sunset Blvd., Los Angeles.

I have started at Home Depot, the massive super store for home construction and hardware.
It bothers me not at all that we are not wide enough even when I leave the 21mm accessory lens at home. Here I just grabbed 4 overlapping pictures as I stopped for 30 seconds in the Home Depot parking lot on Sunset Boulevard. The images were recorded in Adobe RGB 1985 as DNG files and stitched directly in Autopano Giga. (Fair Warning!!, the images appear to be tagged as sRGB, but in fact, I'm told they're in whatever space one starts with. So I ASSIGN the Adobe RGB color space and process the file in Photoshop CS5 with a little side trip for a variant with the Nik plugin Bleach Bipass.

_R073999sRGB for OPF only copy.jpg

Asher Kelman: Crane and Clouds from the Home Depot Parking Lot_a

Ricoh GR DNG Processed in ACR

_R074000sRGB for OPF only copy.jpg

Asher Kelman: Crane and Clouds from the Home Depot Parking Lot_b

_R073998sRGB for OPF only copy.jpg

Asher Kelman: Crane and Clouds from the Home Depot Parking Lot_c

_R073997sRGB for OPF only copy.jpg

Asher Kelman: Crane and Clouds from the Home Depot Parking Lot_d

[Group 7&8]-_R073997__R074000-4 images_0001 Crane opp Home Depot copy copy.jpg

Asher Kelman: Crane and Clouds from the Home Depot Parking Lot #1

Ricoh GR DNG Processed in ACR, Stitched in Autopano Giga, Adjusted in PS CS5

[Group 7&8]-_R073997__R074000-4 images_0001 Crane opp Home Depot Bleach bipass Nik.jpg

Asher Kelman: Crane and Clouds from the Home Depot Parking Lot #2

Ricoh GR DNG Processed in ACR, Stitched in Autopano Giga, Adjusted in PS CS5, NIK Bleach bipass Filter

I liked the experience of seeing the rougher cloud effects from the NIK filter, but I prefer my original, processed in PS by my usual sensibilities.

Asher Kelman

The take home lesson is that with a few extra shots or else a short walk one doesn't suffer much at all from not carrying a zoom lens. Instead one zooms with one's feet or stitches!

Asher

Paul Abbott

You have used a great little metaphor in describing this camera, Asher. It is a number that I have had on for many a month now and don't see any reason whatsoever to garner anything else...simply put, I just don't need anything else. The GR is a camera that becomes a part of you too, literally...

It's good to hear about your use and impressions with this camera, they're similar to mine too. As for 'shoe leather' zooming, it's the only and best option for the street...

I really do hate to say this but is that a dust spot on your sensor?

Asher Kelman

You have used a great little metaphor in describing this camera, Asher. It is a number that I have had on for many a month now and don't see any reason whatsoever to garner anything else...simply put, I just don't need anything else. The GR is a camera that becomes a part of you too, literally...

It's good to hear about your use and impressions with this camera, they're similar to mine too. As for 'shoe leather' zooming, it's the only and best option for the street...

I really do hate to say this but is that a dust spot on your sensor?

Paul,

Your visit is so welcome! I am thrilled to take you and others on this journey with the diminutive Ricoh GR. Sometimes pictures will be shot from my car window, perhaps stopped at a light, :) or otherwise.

Yes, you got my attention to that spot! I hate to take the camera apart! I need to check that out!

Asher