• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A big lesson

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
I could have post this in the music and photography forum, but I think it's more appropriate here as it belongs more to the man/woman related to his tool (wrong word, but can't find another…).

Well I wish to introduce you to a Master Music Player François Rabbath.
I found the following on Youtube… a pure lesson of modesty, humbleness, humor, intelligence, cleverness, and so much kindness in the sight!

Here the 1st "speech at HfM Berlin", they are 7 of them… take your time, relax, shut-off the phone and just listen!
It's all about how to learn and play music… it could nearly be the same with photography, I mean the simple, clever and realistic approach…

Enjoy!

nicolas claris

Strange!

Absoooooooooooooooolutely nobody was curious enough to check this link?

Or is this guy not moving you and make you wonder and think about how you came to photography and your learning curve/process?

Maybe will you need some relax time during the week-end… Beleive me, this old guy François Rabbath should refresh your mind (as it did for me ;-)

Have all a cool and peacefull week-end with some good (the one you like) music to listen…

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Nicolas,

How did you came across this video? Yes, the story of how Francois was tricked by his father in Aleppo, Syria, to love the double base and how he took it to bed with him lest his 6 brothers grabbed it, is touching and amusing. his learning his own method really reminds me of the solo inventive work of the pioneering giants of B&W photography like Ansel Adams.

This is a must read for anyone who thinks they should be able to do photography just be picking up the camera and aiming it, although that's what one actually does! That's the paradox. It's how one learns to do it and the connection with imagination and selection among many choices that is in common with Francois' leanring of the Double Base, and a good photographer's learnring of his own style of photography.

Asher

nicolas claris

How did you came across this video?

François Rabbath did write and play the music of a movie made by a very close friend of mine.
That was 30 years ago and the movie was all about the life on board boats -off season- in Cannes harbour (which is not a Marina but a real port with real small fish boats (called "pointus" because they are sharp angled at each end) and yachts, sail, no power boats in these already old times…).
The film (B&W;-!) and the music are still in my heart…
Unfortunately the original copy has been lost…

So, just for the the sake of souvenirs, I googled François Rabbath and voilà!

nicolas claris

Hi Nicolas,

How did you came across this video? Yes, the story of how Francois was tricked by his father in Aleppo, Syria, to love the double base and how he took it to bed with him lest his 6 brothers grabbed it, is touching and amusing. his learning his own method really reminds me of the solo inventive work of the pioneering giants of B&W photography like Ansel Adams.

I also particularly like when he explains how he behaves with his base, explaining how to move the hand or what pressure/weight of the fingers does add to the quality of the note… and so many other things…

He also explains that when you want to teach someone to play music, you must provide him the best possible instrument. Otherwise, How could one be able to progress with a bad tool!!!

Still more to listen from him. For me at least.

nicolas claris

Hi Nicolas,

Yes I've watched the first video, but have not had time yet to see the others. Fascinating man, and such a gentle person.

Have a nice weekend,
Bart
Yes Bart
many would be well inspired to follow this sagesse and kindness, we would leave in a much better world!

When you have time, the other videos are worth listening.

Thanks for taking replying.