• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

What new camera or lens is on you wish list and why?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Two months ago I was thinking of switching to Nikon as they have arguably the best super wide angle zoom and clean images at ISO 3200 as well as fast 50mm and 85mm primes for my available light work. Nikon color is preferred by many portraitists and fashion photographers. so I was really pondering the big step! The Nikon 700 sounded like an impressive bargain to get into the latest technology for a song compared to the price of the flagship D3 with the identical technology.

Then came the 50D with the x1.6 multiplier and allegedly the fastest focus in town. Seems perfect for getting the humming bird shots I want! Now the 5DII is around the corner at a little more money yes but 21 MP and HD movies! Perfect for detail rich landscapes. We also have the superb Zeiss lenses to consider for Eos, Nikon, Pentax and Leica! Then each MFR is adding to their offerings of higher quality primes and zooms. I can see arguments about the relative values of the 24mm f1.4 from Canon versus the expected new offerings from Zeiss. Canon has the edge now in timing as the first lens in the ZE mount will be the 50 1.4 and the 851.4.

This is indeed a wonderful time for guys like me who never owned a train set!

So, what's on your lust list?

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Lust list...

The 85 1.2
The 70-200 4.0 is (I have the 2.8 =- I want the lighter one for the studio)
That new 200 prime
300 2.8
The yet unannounced 24-105 2.8is
The Mark 3 DS or it's successor or a couple of new 5DmkII
A Profoto Acute and four heads
A rail system for the studio
A ceiling mounted backdrop track
A 50' Pioneer LCD Television to use for viewing slideshows in the studio
And a time machine to have the clock go back to the 115 lb body I had when I was 21.
A private plane to take me anywhere in the world I want to go at the time.
A Chateaux in St. Emilion, a Villa in Tuscany, a house in the Hamptons...
Oh, to heck with all of it. The money of Bill Gates or Steve Jobs to pay for it all.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Kathy,

If you don't need IS, I could let go of my 70-200 f4.0 in pristine condition! OTOH, it's so well behaved and perfect. See it's hard to let go of things. Truth is I'll have to sell some lenses to pay for the new things I "need".

Asher

Mike Shimwell

Wish list:

ZE distagon 21
ZE distagon 35
Canon 24 1.4L2
85 1.2
ZE 100 macro planar
135 f2 L
200 f2 L
ZE 50 1.4
1Ds4
Zeiss Sonnar 85 2 in M mount
biogon 28 2.8 in M mount
heliar 15 in M mount

To fund that I've got

5D
70-300DO, which doesn't really get used since I got the 70-200 f4 IS

it doesn't really add up, but there again I don't need it all! In theory I could sell the 24-105 and 70-200 if I had the primes, but they are useful and I found the 24-105 works surprisingly well on the 1Ds3 recently.

I'll probably save for the ZE21 or the 24L

Mike