• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Headshots and catchlights

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi I'm James Keates a headshot photographer based in Epsom Surrey, UK. I have been experimenting with reflectors and using them as catchlights in headshots. I would love to have any feedback on how they are working out. Please check out my site http://jk-photography.net

I look forward to hearing from you.
Many thanks
James
https://jk-photography.net

James,

First a hearty “Welcome”! glad you found us.

A name like “Keates” is damn distinguished for a start. But your photography makes you worthy on its own merit. Kudos for that!

The photography overall is varied, interesting and competent. I would be happy to send any friend or colleague to you for headshots or creative editorial. The fellow with the bowler is fabulous! Does hecalso dance on roofs.

Glad you found us!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Now to the catch lights.

What follows is highly esoteric and far beyond the scope of all but a few photographers doing headshotscand wanting to add that extra subtle but effective sparkle.

Now tobyour headshots: In many cases they are subtle and do not draw attention except that they “work”. The lady in purple, if I was asked, I might tone down. But then if she plays a certain “character” in the theater, it could be perfect.

In general, (as a rule of thumb), not from any greater authority than my own judgement, I have found the following is best practice for most artistic alterations for exhibition:-

Of course make each change on a new layer........ the S-curve, degree of sharpening, brightness of the teeth, “just right”. Then put this picture aside for anything else like dinner, your workout, or another day.

When you pickup again, aim to decrease the percent of that effect by 30% to 90%, seeing how far you can remove it and still achieve the emotion and significance you want. It’s alwayscamazing to me, how much one can revert and still maintain the genuine feelings that you had workedcso hard to create the first time.

With catch lights, much less is more, unless it is a part of the “character”. Only clowns actually need red noses!

I prefer catchlights that one can read and discover more secrets, like reflections of bright windows, or even the photographer by his/her 8 ft octadome!

Still, solid catchlights certainly work. I have seen them used successfully as one of the uniting common marks of someone’s photographic “Style” in a major exhibition, all with the same recognizable lighting and “look”.

I would look to decreasing the intensity of catchlights as one increased actad the brightness of whites of the eyes and teeth. That way the catchlights seem appropriate to thecentire creation.

Asher Kelman

One more idea; consider if you might, adding to your OPF signature line, something like “Headshots, Corporate and Editorial Photography, Epsom, U.K.”

Asher