Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Digital Darkroom > Retouching & Repairing

Old September 2nd, 2008, 01:04 PM

Default Favorite tools for skin blemishes and texture? The patch tool or what?

Learning to use crudely the PS CS3 patch tool has been a tremendous boon for me for easy touchups of eyebags, wrinkles, etc. Trouble is, I really have no idea what it's doing or how it works, much less how to use it properly/better. It seems like magic. ;-)

Any hints/explanations/pointers at tutorials etc.?

Nill
Old September 7th, 2008, 03:15 PM

I dunno, Nill. Maybe this or this helps a little bit.

Cheers,

flickr
website
Old September 7th, 2008, 08:50 PM

Thanks Cem!

Nill
Old March 21st, 2009, 02:24 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Default From fair to near perfect skin. How do you do it?

Cem,

Great links. It would be great to find out how photographers here banish blemishes and deal with skin texture in general.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old March 21st, 2009, 09:14 PM

Default Healing Brush

I use spot healing and healing brush tool for wrinkles, blemishes and the like. Then I use negative clairity in Lightroom for minor skin smoothing or I use Nik Fliters Dynamic Skin Softening. Depends on my image mostly. Thinking about getting Portrait Professional.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 01:43 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Luiz,

These must be are amongst the best references on skin retouching and uses just RGB*. Let me correct that. The first one I have studied up to the procedure of making curves in a mask. The effort here is directed against unsightly areas such as as a babies rash or unsightly shadows. This is a curves layer with a gradient of numerical values. The actual values of RGB come (at one end of a gradient), from the wanted hue and tone, and, (at the other end of the gradient), blemish areas . Sounds complex, but do it once and then it will seem obvious. This is just at the beginning of the second page of the first of 3 tutorials by Crawford Hart. For this work, investment in a Wacom pressure sensitive tablet is a must! If one masters these early ideas, one hardly needs to go further! If you actually have the motivation to become proficient and practice enough, this will be another way of sucking up your time but the results will be flattering to your subjects.

Everything in layers!

Asher

*Crawford Hart also gives a reference to LAB methods, but key images are missing at that thread.

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.