Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Digital Darkroom > Retouching & Repairing

Old October 10th, 2013, 12:32 AM

Default How was this achieved?

Seen this retouching technique done before. This photographer uses the same technique in each photo. Yes, they do typical retouch and use lighting, but there is this specific technique that they do to make the image...slightly darker, I guess? Any ideas?

(Photographer Radiant Inc)

https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/...63712665_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/...56645473_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/...63232003_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/..._3278436_n.jpg
Old October 10th, 2013, 06:14 AM

I would say:
-lit with a ring flash, so that the background is naturally underexposed
-crush the blacks (curve command, pull the bottom down)
-adjust saturation and color balance.

Most of the effect is due to the ring flash light. The ring flash is quite recognizable from the kind of shadows it produces.

If you want to do that outside, you'll probably need a camera with a central shutter to get a sync speed that is high enough.
Old October 10th, 2013, 09:54 AM

Don't feed the spammer Jerome.

flickr
website
Old October 10th, 2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cem_Usakligil View Post
Don't feed the spammer Jerome.
???

Looks like a legit question to me.
Old October 10th, 2013, 01:55 PM

During my five year mission as an OPF moderator, I've dealt with more than hundred such posters Jerome. I recognize the patterns. Yes, the inquiry seems legit. It would indeed be if it came from one of the regulars. However, this is a first time poster. It is highly unusual for people who are legit to start with such posts. The typical pattern is drawing attention to a website or a product in the form of asking questions about it. The next step is to usually coming up with a solution which answers their own question. I'm not saying that I'm right about this one, if I'm proven to be wrong I'll duly apologize.

flickr
website
Old October 14th, 2013, 04:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
During my five year mission as an OPF moderator, I've dealt with more than hundred such posters Jerome. I recognize the patterns. Yes, the inquiry seems legit. It would indeed be if it came from one of the regulars. However, this is a first time poster. It is highly unusual for people who are legit to start with such posts. The typical pattern is drawing attention to a website or a product in the form of asking questions about it. The next step is to usually coming up with a solution which answers their own question. I'm not saying that I'm right about this one, if I'm proven to be wrong I'll duly apologize.
You're such a suspicious bugger, Cem. You didn't spot me first time and look how I turned out.
Give the girl a chance? If she turns out to be a raving stalker, send her my way. I'm lonely.
Old October 14th, 2013, 06:04 AM

I'm not suspicious Tom, just alert and experienced. The fact that this person had posted this one off question five days ago and hasn't even logged back in to check the answers is proof enough that I have been right.

I did spot you right away for what you really are. That's why we have become friends.

flickr
website
Old October 14th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm not suspicious Tom, just alert and experienced. The fact that this person had posted this one off question five days ago and hasn't even logged back in to check the answers is proof enough that I have been right.

I did spot you right away for what you really are. That's why we have become friends.
How come you always know more than me? Are you a member of the MIT?
Old October 14th, 2013, 11:08 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

It's also here, as the same question, definitely here but only in passing and perhaps even here too as a related guess. So that's not much for a content spammer. A lot of folk post their images in several places on the web.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old October 15th, 2013, 12:06 AM
Banned

That's the way my Old Man would fish. He'd throw a few lines in, then go have lunch. Sometimes he'd forget where he put his lines. Sometimes he'd forget where he put his hat. He usually bought his fish on the way home. From a reliable slice no less.
Old October 19th, 2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom dinning View Post
That's the way my Old Man would fish. He'd throw a few lines in, then go have lunch. Sometimes he'd forget where he put his lines. Sometimes he'd forget where he put his hat. He usually bought his fish on the way home. From a reliable slice no less.
I am with Tom on this one... more so, at least his Dad bought the fish instead of stealing one... and even more so, I am sure it was a tasty fish (the one he bought) than "any fish".
Old November 16th, 2013, 06:23 PM

Actually, this is a legit question. I also know the photographers (yes, two of them). I have worked with them before as a model. Very awesome people. I was curious how they do their editing since I have never seen it done before. I felt bad for asking them. I am going to work with them again sometime next year.

So no. I am not a spammer, just a curious n00b.
Old November 16th, 2013, 06:24 PM

Oh, and thank you for answering my question. They did use ring flash when they shot me in studio.
Old November 16th, 2013, 06:48 PM
Banned

See, Cem. She's just shy. Prefers to ask us, perfect strangers, than to go to the source.
Lesson #1 Jena.
Anything past a direct quote is here-say. And then only believe half of it.
Lesson #2
Don't trust anyone to trust you.
Old November 17th, 2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom dinning View Post
See, Cem. She's just shy. Prefers to ask us, perfect strangers, than to go to the source...
Still not convinced Tom. For all I know, she is an Ozzie croc wrestling male with lots of body hair and bad teeth.

flickr
website
Old November 17th, 2013, 05:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Still not convinced Tom. For all I know, she is an Ozzie croc wrestling male with lots of body hair and bad teeth.
Do you know my sister, Cem?
Old February 21st, 2014, 12:25 AM

I have only worked with them once, of course I am not going to ask their editing techniques.

You trolls just want to see proof, aka see me naked. This is why I hardly ever post in these forums. Too many "trolls." It was a simple question. No need to be douche nozzles about it.
Old February 21st, 2014, 12:27 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jena Mohr View Post
I have only worked with them once, of course I am not going to ask their editing techniques.

You trolls just want to see proof, aka see me naked. This is why I hardly ever post in these forums. Too many "trolls." It was a simple question. No need to be douche nozzles about it.
Jerome gave you a good response.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old February 21st, 2014, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
Jerome gave you a good response.

Asher
Asher, Jena thanked Jerome in reply #13.

This thread epitomizes why I always feel like an outsider when I visit OPF. Y'all are talking about the OP while she's right here. Dial it down a bit Cem. Cut newbies a bit of slack, and maybe wait wait for an embedded link before calling someone out as a spammer.

Jena, I like your slur: "douche-nozzles". ;) Which model are you? #2 I hope - her face is perfect for this kind of burlesque-esque type of expressive photography (although they are all doing a great job!) I haven't used my ring-light since the 1980s, and now I feel like digging it out!

Jerome, thanks - see above.

ps - pop the corks, this is my 10th post!