Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Digital Darkroom > Retouching & Repairing

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 10th, 2013, 12:32 AM
Jena Mohr Jena Mohr is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 4
Default How was this achieved?

Seen this retouching technique done before. This photographer uses the same technique in each photo. Yes, they do typical retouch and use lighting, but there is this specific technique that they do to make the image...slightly darker, I guess? Any ideas?

(Photographer Radiant Inc)

https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/...63712665_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/...56645473_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/...63232003_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/..._3278436_n.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old October 10th, 2013, 06:14 AM
Jerome Marot Jerome Marot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Munich, Germany.
Posts: 3,495
Default

I would say:
-lit with a ring flash, so that the background is naturally underexposed
-crush the blacks (curve command, pull the bottom down)
-adjust saturation and color balance.

Most of the effect is due to the ring flash light. The ring flash is quite recognizable from the kind of shadows it produces.

If you want to do that outside, you'll probably need a camera with a central shutter to get a sync speed that is high enough.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old October 10th, 2013, 09:54 AM
Cem_Usakligil Cem_Usakligil is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,946
Default

Don't feed the spammer Jerome.
__________________
Kind Regards, Cem

flickr
website
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old October 10th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Jerome Marot Jerome Marot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Munich, Germany.
Posts: 3,495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cem_Usakligil View Post
Don't feed the spammer Jerome.
???

Looks like a legit question to me.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old October 10th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Cem_Usakligil Cem_Usakligil is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,946
Default

During my five year mission as an OPF moderator, I've dealt with more than hundred such posters Jerome. I recognize the patterns. Yes, the inquiry seems legit. It would indeed be if it came from one of the regulars. However, this is a first time poster. It is highly unusual for people who are legit to start with such posts. The typical pattern is drawing attention to a website or a product in the form of asking questions about it. The next step is to usually coming up with a solution which answers their own question. I'm not saying that I'm right about this one, if I'm proven to be wrong I'll duly apologize.
__________________
Kind Regards, Cem

flickr
website
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old October 14th, 2013, 04:12 AM
Tom dinning Tom dinning is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Darwin NT Australia
Posts: 2,088
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cem_Usakligil View Post
During my five year mission as an OPF moderator, I've dealt with more than hundred such posters Jerome. I recognize the patterns. Yes, the inquiry seems legit. It would indeed be if it came from one of the regulars. However, this is a first time poster. It is highly unusual for people who are legit to start with such posts. The typical pattern is drawing attention to a website or a product in the form of asking questions about it. The next step is to usually coming up with a solution which answers their own question. I'm not saying that I'm right about this one, if I'm proven to be wrong I'll duly apologize.
You're such a suspicious bugger, Cem. You didn't spot me first time and look how I turned out.
Give the girl a chance? If she turns out to be a raving stalker, send her my way. I'm lonely.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old October 14th, 2013, 06:04 AM
Cem_Usakligil Cem_Usakligil is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,946
Default

I'm not suspicious Tom, just alert and experienced. The fact that this person had posted this one off question five days ago and hasn't even logged back in to check the answers is proof enough that I have been right.

I did spot you right away for what you really are. That's why we have become friends.
__________________
Kind Regards, Cem

flickr
website
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old October 14th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Tom dinning Tom dinning is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Darwin NT Australia
Posts: 2,088
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cem_Usakligil View Post
I'm not suspicious Tom, just alert and experienced. The fact that this person had posted this one off question five days ago and hasn't even logged back in to check the answers is proof enough that I have been right.

I did spot you right away for what you really are. That's why we have become friends.
How come you always know more than me? Are you a member of the MIT?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old October 14th, 2013, 11:08 PM
Asher Kelman Asher Kelman is offline
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 32,585
Default

It's also here, as the same question, definitely here but only in passing and perhaps even here too as a related guess. So that's not much for a content spammer. A lot of folk post their images in several places on the web.

Asher
__________________
Follow us on Twitter at @opfweb

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old October 15th, 2013, 12:06 AM
Tom dinning Tom dinning is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Darwin NT Australia
Posts: 2,088
Default

That's the way my Old Man would fish. He'd throw a few lines in, then go have lunch. Sometimes he'd forget where he put his lines. Sometimes he'd forget where he put his hat. He usually bought his fish on the way home. From a reliable slice no less.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old October 19th, 2013, 08:21 AM
Theodoros Fotometria Theodoros Fotometria is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Corinth, Greece
Posts: 438
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom dinning View Post
That's the way my Old Man would fish. He'd throw a few lines in, then go have lunch. Sometimes he'd forget where he put his lines. Sometimes he'd forget where he put his hat. He usually bought his fish on the way home. From a reliable slice no less.
I am with Tom on this one... more so, at least his Dad bought the fish instead of stealing one... and even more so, I am sure it was a tasty fish (the one he bought) than "any fish".
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old November 16th, 2013, 06:23 PM
Jena Mohr Jena Mohr is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 4
Default

Actually, this is a legit question. I also know the photographers (yes, two of them). I have worked with them before as a model. Very awesome people. I was curious how they do their editing since I have never seen it done before. I felt bad for asking them. I am going to work with them again sometime next year.

So no. I am not a spammer, just a curious n00b.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old November 16th, 2013, 06:24 PM
Jena Mohr Jena Mohr is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 4
Default

Oh, and thank you for answering my question. They did use ring flash when they shot me in studio.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old November 16th, 2013, 06:48 PM
Tom dinning Tom dinning is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Darwin NT Australia
Posts: 2,088
Default

See, Cem. She's just shy. Prefers to ask us, perfect strangers, than to go to the source.
Lesson #1 Jena.
Anything past a direct quote is here-say. And then only believe half of it.
Lesson #2
Don't trust anyone to trust you.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old November 17th, 2013, 03:23 PM
Cem_Usakligil Cem_Usakligil is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,946
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom dinning View Post
See, Cem. She's just shy. Prefers to ask us, perfect strangers, than to go to the source...
Still not convinced Tom. For all I know, she is an Ozzie croc wrestling male with lots of body hair and bad teeth.
__________________
Kind Regards, Cem

flickr
website
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old November 17th, 2013, 05:48 PM
Tom dinning Tom dinning is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Darwin NT Australia
Posts: 2,088
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cem_Usakligil View Post
Still not convinced Tom. For all I know, she is an Ozzie croc wrestling male with lots of body hair and bad teeth.
Do you know my sister, Cem?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old February 21st, 2014, 12:25 AM
Jena Mohr Jena Mohr is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 4
Default

I have only worked with them once, of course I am not going to ask their editing techniques.

You trolls just want to see proof, aka see me naked. This is why I hardly ever post in these forums. Too many "trolls." It was a simple question. No need to be douche nozzles about it.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old February 21st, 2014, 12:27 AM
Asher Kelman Asher Kelman is offline
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 32,585
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jena Mohr View Post
I have only worked with them once, of course I am not going to ask their editing techniques.

You trolls just want to see proof, aka see me naked. This is why I hardly ever post in these forums. Too many "trolls." It was a simple question. No need to be douche nozzles about it.
Jerome gave you a good response.

Asher
__________________
Follow us on Twitter at @opfweb

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old February 21st, 2014, 11:56 PM
Chris Heilman Chris Heilman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Arizona
Posts: 60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
Jerome gave you a good response.

Asher
Asher, Jena thanked Jerome in reply #13.

This thread epitomizes why I always feel like an outsider when I visit OPF. Y'all are talking about the OP while she's right here. Dial it down a bit Cem. Cut newbies a bit of slack, and maybe wait wait for an embedded link before calling someone out as a spammer.

Jena, I like your slur: "douche-nozzles". ;) Which model are you? #2 I hope - her face is perfect for this kind of burlesque-esque type of expressive photography (although they are all doing a great job!) I haven't used my ring-light since the 1980s, and now I feel like digging it out!

Jerome, thanks - see above.

ps - pop the corks, this is my 10th post!
__________________
You may know me as Chris101.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Canon EOS focusing strategy Doug Kerr Canon Eos Mount DSLRs 3 July 2nd, 2010 10:02 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:21 PM.


Posting images or text grants license to OPF, yet of such remain with its creator. Still, all assembled discussion 2006-2017 Asher Kelman (all rights reserved) Posts with new theme or unusual image might be moved/copied to a new thread!