Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Digital Darkroom > Retouching & Repairing

Old July 31st, 2008, 12:56 PM

The clone stamp is evil. Try to layer via copy a section near the boat. Move that section over the boat. Throw a curves adjustment layer on the copy you made. Then, lighten the copy til it almost blends in. Use a layer mask to blend it in the rest of the way.

Good luck, -W

Old July 31st, 2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William D. Wood View Post
The clone stamp is evil. Try to layer via copy a section near the boat. Move that section over the boat. Throw a curves adjustment layer on the copy you made. Then, lighten the copy til it almost blends in. Use a layer mask to blend it in the rest of the way.

Good luck, -W

Nothing is evil unless used in a wrong way. The method you have described can be achieved using the Patch tool (J), which is easier and faster.

flickr
website
Old August 1st, 2008, 01:35 PM

Wow. I'll be looking at these very carefully in a few weeks (we have a houseguest from Europe and must get ready for the new term).
Old August 1st, 2008, 02:35 PM

Default Also look at

Rachel,

You might also look at Corel's PaintShop Pro X. It does many of the scripted things that PS does with a click or two really well.
Old August 1st, 2008, 03:42 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Hi Rachel,

These are the simplest routes for you to patch up a large fault, like your boat:

1. A quick sufficient fix in Photoshop: Using a patch with the right color, texture and pattern. Only the simplest tools are needed, use the lasso since it will be irregular, the more the better.

Once you see the little ants dancing around this area, soften the edges by using Select, Feather to some number based on the size of the image. (For a full res image this might be 20 pixels for a 600 pixels wide version for the web just 2-6 pixels). Now switch to the "Move" tool, (top right of the tools set, looks like a "plus sign, +) and slide the selected area to cover the unwanted fault.

Soften the edges by using the Erasor tool to the patch just enough so the seams don't show.

2. Learn painlessly from Russel Brown: start with using the healing brush as suggested by Dierk:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierk Haasis View Post
Healing Brush instead of Clone/Stamp Tool.

Rachel, PS is only to hate if you follow the complicated routes many photographers try to sell you. Take a look at Russel Brown's videos and be astounded how easy some things are - much easier than all the recipes in digital imaging books.

Be aware that Doc Brown is very entertaining, probably the only guy around realing knowing Photoshop, and very bad on the xTrain/Adobe TV videos. But the tutorials on his own site are marvellous.
3. Keep to Photoshop for now! Unless you have a tutor, given your frustration, hold off on Lightzone. Basic photoshop, even PS 7, will do all you need.

Just work with Russel Brown's videos. He presents photoshop with no pain at all.

4. Using a Retoucher: For very little money at all, retouch artists can do what you want for almost nothing! send the file by http://www.yousendit.com or similar free service. They will return you your file often within hours or usually within 24 hours. I have not seen the charges but maybe we should have a bunch of test images to send to various retouchers. The ones overseas might be less costly.

Yes, it appears somehow that you are giving away control. But, I promise you, some of the most famous photographers routinely use such help. This is no different than having a wet darkroom technician who gets to know your style.

Some photographers have the ability to take fine photographs but may not have the time, patience or dexterity to fiddle with minutiae that can make the good picture excel.

I'd like to know from a retoucher what the charge would be for removing that boat?

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old August 1st, 2008, 04:42 PM

Rachel-

I use the PS tools that emulate what I could do in a wet dark room ... I just keep it simple and found that incremental activities/levels work better than trying to get it done in a hurry.

Gary
Old August 2nd, 2008, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Ayala View Post
Rachel-

I use the PS tools that emulate what I could do in a wet dark room ... I just keep it simple and found that incremental activities/levels work better than trying to get it done in a hurry.

Gary
That's what I do. I get most of this done with elements 6.

D
Old August 2nd, 2008, 03:04 PM

I'm looking forward to getting a chance to try these out. Thanks!
Old August 2nd, 2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Ayala View Post
Rachel-

Gary
Gary,
baby steps would only get you so far. You can't clear 9 ft crevasse in 3 steps.
It can work for a simple project, but unfortunately it ain't so for any advanced stuff.
Essentially, if you at at point A and want to arrive not to B or C? but to Q or X, chances are that none of the intermediate steps will look good. Essentially you need to know exactly what you're doing.

FWIW, PS is not a wet process, and the sooner everybody forget about the latter, the better, IMHO. The fact it can "dodge" and "burn" (i.e. make local exposure adjustments) don't justify the last-millenium approach to the post-processing.
Old February 15th, 2009, 03:59 PM

I think the photo looks nice!