• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Boats with Character that you discover in your travels! Tell what caught your eye!

When sailing, we meet a lot of interesting characters. Here's one.

SealOfApproval.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Howard,

I love this, but could replace the one you posted with an image just 20% smaller!

Also do you have other pictures of this site. Both the old ship and the seal are great. Each has a life cycle. One being inorganic or dead is destroyed by oxygen and water as the paint decays and the hull rusts. The seal by contrast is able to repair itself and regenerate new copies to replace itself as it runs out of repair capability.

Both are under the domain of man who can build and destroy anything except an organism with differentiated cells. Maybe in 100 years will do that too if we did not incinerate ourselves long before that!

Asher

Sorry about that. I think the first time I looked at a post, it was 1200 x 800 or so and I assumed that was the "standard". I've reposted a bit smaller.

I'll see what I can dig up from the site (the sunken boat, Catalina, soon to be destroyed in the harbor of Ensenada, Mexico). There were some great colors and textures.

Cem_Usakligil

Great idea for a thread Howards, thanks for starting this one. I like your character there, looks rather amused with you taking a picture of him/her.

Cem and actually Nicolas Claris may have seen these boats before...in person

Well, this is an understatement, if there is one ;-)
I must have made a million photographs of the various boats in Istanbul in the past 35 years. It used to be one of my main photography subjects. But unfortunately, all of them are on film and not readily available for scanning purposes. I'll see if I can post some later this weekend when I've got the time. But I don't want to hijack any thread since I can end up showing many of those (LOL).

Cheers,

Kathy - You're not hogging the thread; I'm enjoying the images and discussion. I spend a lot of time on my boat and never seem to tire of images of the sea, boat and the like. In fact, here we are at anchor off of Santa Cruz Island.

TempestInPelicanBay.jpg

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Some great images in this thread. Howard - your shot has such fantastic atmosphere, and Nicolas - you spend a lot of time with very nice boats!

The shot below was taken on Windermere in the Lake District. It was the light that caught my eye - on a greyish day a break in the clouds suddenly caught the white sails of this boat and the trees behind.

boat_astannard.jpg

Cheers,

Some great images in this thread. Howard - your shot has such fantastic atmosphere, and Nicolas - you spend a lot of time with very nice boats!

The shot below was taken on Windermere in the Lake District. It was the light that caught my eye - on a greyish day a break in the clouds suddenly caught the white sails of this boat and the trees behind.

boat_astannard.jpg

Cheers,
Andy - A beautiful moment. Nice catch!

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Beautiful shots!

Loving this series. Beautiful - Mazatlan Harbor and Santa Cruz Island.

Nicolas, I see some motion blur...boat engine vibration? I only remember the bridge in Blue...I expect to be under sail shortly and will hopefully get to add to this thread.

Ron Morse

We were just pulling out of our slip last summer when we met this guy coming in still under sail.

Of course our baby.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
When we're in port, mornings are the peaceful time.

HarborMorn.jpg

Howard,

This picture is memorable for me and I searched until I found it. Today, I now realize that you actually sail into port. First time I was thinking that you visit, same way I do, by car!

Asher

I so enjoyed looking at the photos in this thread earlier and I have a couple to add that I have taken and like. I hope others will contribute too!

The first one is of a tug boat called the Pembroke. Hope it is alright that it is not in the water. I was off looking for farms and horses to shoot near the Ontario border and saw this while crossing the bridge in Notre-Dame-du-Nord. I turned into the small road and met the owner, a man in his mid-40s, who now owned the boat. He told me it was built in the early 50s and was used for logging. He acquired the boat about 10 years earlier and was using it as a pleasure boat, to go out with family and friends in the summer and have a good time. Now, nobody wants to go anymore and it's too difficult to put the boat to water without help, so he's considering donating it to the town of Owen Sound in Ontario, where it was built. I just love how rustic it looks, how it seems it was hand-made and the hand-painted name on the side and all the history that accompanies it.

pembroke.jpg

The Pembroke - ©Maggie Terlecki

This boat caught my eye as it was held by a chain to a rock in the Svartån river along the side of the brick wall and path. You cannot see it in this small photo, but it is written - liv båt (Life Boat). I guess if someone falls in, you can just run down the steps, jump in.. and save them! Obviously not as impressive as any of the other boats in this thread, but as common as it is, could save a life.

lifeboat.jpg

Liv Båt - © Maggie Terlecki

Doug Kerr

Hi, Maggie,
I so enjoyed looking at the photos in this thread earlier and I have a couple to add that I have taken and like. I hope others will contribute too!
<snip>
This boat caught my eye as it was held by a chain to a rock in the Svartån river along the side of the brick wall and path. You cannot see it in this small photo, but it is written - liv båt (Life Boat). I guess if someone falls in, you can just run down the steps, jump in.. and save them! Obviously not as impressive as any of the other boats in this thread, but as common as it is, could save a life.

lifeboat.jpg

Liv Båt - © Maggie Terlecki

Perhaps the boat is not as impressive of some others, but this shot is just exquisite!

Could we have some technical details? (I know, "That dish was just delicious. Could you tell us what kind of pan the chef cooked it in?")

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug