• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: A Trip from Warm Southern California to Frozen New York City

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This time of year, I'm in New York. I do guerrilla shoots with subjects chewing 3- 5 locations for snapping and building a picture representing their ideas and voices made by them or for them to date.

Well, now it's colder than ever experienced by me before in NY and with a chill factor making it to about 1 degree F, and having developed a 'flu like illness in the 6 hours of travel, I am mostly confined to my hotel room. There I shiver as turning up the heat gives out more cold air! Brave engineers are at this moment trying to figure out what's going on with the machinery! So I'm in the bar, editing picture on iPhoto, (Capture One Pro 7 crashes with the black screen of death, (hadn't seen this since times of the Power PC and a G4, LOL). I'm on Mac 10.7.6, so why the slow black curtain rolling down my screen whenever I try to process images!! As luck would have it, CS 5 is not working so I'm being humbled!

Still I'll try to show you the high points of my travels. First, some grabshots of LAX, Los Angleles, International Airport. We see the parking structures, cloned at intervals around a circular road to cover each terminal, then the famous and recently rebuilt classic LAX Sky Airport restaurant, then control towers from outside and from inside the terminal for New york!

_MG_9338.jpg

_MG_9339.jpg

_MG_9345.jpg

_MG_9346.jpg

Asher Kelman: LAX Early Morning, January 2013, 70 degrees F!

Asher Kelman

One is struck immediately on leaving the plane by the extreme cold as the canvas walled walkways that tend the airplanes are not heated and by the time one is in the terminal, one has no doubt that this is a different part of the planet, essentially in the single digits counting the wind chill.

Next the first joyous appearance is the patriotic offerings of T-shirts emblazoned with I love New york and all sorts memorabilia of the Statue of Liberty and the NY Skyline.

_MG_9364.jpg

_MG_9365.jpg

_MG_9368.jpg

_MG_9370.jpg

Asher Kelman: Love New York: Pride and Resilience​

Although all the wares for sale are bright and have no political statements, they carry a lot of meaning. There's an undeclared but universally understood undercurrent of tragedy, rebirth and pride at the events of 9/11 when New York became vulnerable. Now they had burnt into the common memory that they are, like all like other living things, subject to predation and destruction by forces of hatred, revenge, retribution and righteousness.

Asher

Asher Kelman

The airport was very busy and we passed folk waiting to get out on the next plane. Others are preparing to exit JFK for the city.

_MG_9380.jpg

Asher Kelman: Texting to the last!

_MG_9385.jpg

Asher Kelman: Where are you?

_MG_9387.jpg

Asher Kelman: Another World?

Asher Kelman

Waiting to come and go, talking of Michelangelo

_MG_9388.jpg

Asher Kelman: Waiting for Godo 1

_MG_9389.jpg

Asher Kelman: Waiting for Godo 2

_MG_9392.jpg

Asher Kelman: Waiting to Fly Out!

_MG_9402.jpg

Asher Kelman: Waiting on Standby?!

_MG_9383.jpg

Asher Kelman: Limo Driver!

_MG_9384.jpg

Asher Kelman:and Room to Roam again!

Asher Kelman

Operation Zero Cold Zero! Grab daughter then add extra layer!

_MG_9393.jpg

Asher Kelman: Remove Windjammer

_MG_9396.jpg

Asher Kelman: Add thermal layer to confused daughter

_MG_9400.jpg

Asher Kelman: Daughter Understands!

_MG_9401.jpg

Asher Kelman: Windjammer on top! and Ready For New York!

Asher Kelman

Finding!

_MG_9403.jpg

Asher Kelman: Warm Gloves?

_MG_9390.jpg

Asher Kelman: Sustenance!

_MG_9404.jpg

Asher Kelman: The way?

_MG_9408.jpg

Asher Kelman: The Ubiquitous NY Cab!

Asher Kelman

Why is just this one in black and white? It seems at odds with the rest and I can't see any reason why it was this way.

I guess I like that one in particular, and would like to see it colour in the context of the rest.

Sam,

I liked that one a lot too and had trouble getting color balance to my satisfaction without local adjustment and iPhoto just isn't up to it!

9404_011.jpg

Asher Kelman: The Way?

_MG_9404.jpg

Asher Kelman: The way?

Original JPG unprocessed

I prefer B&W anyway for such gesture-rich images anyway. I plan to reprocess all the images when I return to Los Angeles. They all might end up in B&W depending on the how they relate to one another and themic content.

Asher

Asher Kelman

As we exit the terminal, were hit by ice cold air. It's almost deserted! In the distance, there's the billowing clouds of white condensing steam against the sky.

_MG_9420.jpg

We crossed the road to our waiting car and I caught sight of this one smart NY young woman bundled well against the cold. No time to get her contact info!

_MG_9422.jpg

The first shot was candid. The next I'd caught her eye! She was really warm!

_MG_9423.jpg

Still, I really enjoyed that smile!

Asher

Asher Kelman

I love steaming power plants, and always through a cab window, it seems.

_MG_9427.jpg

_MG_9428.jpg

All just partial glimpses of the power for the massive JFK Airport complex. I'm not sure what it supplies, heat or backup electricity in case Edison cuts of his supply? These would make a great b.g. for a science fiction movie! I must return to tackle this with sufficient respect for the great architecture it is. For now I'll settle for stitching shots of the steam above, that's when I'm back in L.A. with Photoshop, LOL!

And then the last terminals fly past and we're on to the city!

_MG_9431.jpg

_MG_9433.jpg

The windows are getting steamed up, but we're on our way!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Everything flashes past. No one we'll meet tonight or perhaps ever! These are nameless buildings on a perpetual cycle of repurposing from storehouses to workplaces to homes and back to commercial use. No one seems to stop there and we whizz by too.

_MG_9443.jpg

This is a common feeling one gets as driving from airport to hotel. We get into the heart of the city when things change dramatically! It's as if the city realizes we're arriving. Signs and billboards and lit taxicabs reach out to us and get personal, giving us advice and directions!

_MG_9444.jpg

_MG_9447.jpg

Everything is on a big scale. To the right an intimidating neighbor shared the icy road.

_MG_9448.jpg

_MG_9449.jpg

Now in Manhattan, we're close to each other. So this is where everything happens, we're seduced, it's all business and it's all personal and everyone has to survive to thrive!

Asher Kelman

At a light, I realize that the poor fellow in the tin hut is selling hot dogs, but has no customers!

_MG_9452.jpg

_MG_9457.jpg

For all the rush in NY, one is up close to see the people as people!

Asher