• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!
loveletters.jpg

Love Letters © Maggie Terlecki 2015​

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
loveletters.jpg

Love Letters © Maggie Terlecki 2015​
Maggie,

How delightful! Cropping the upper left of the flowers so skillfully moves our attention to the stack of letters, (shouldn't they be worn and the ribbon creased from so many re-readings?). The meeting of the intense light reflection on the table, (below the blooms), helps lead our eyes to the so-neatly decorated letters. Once again, a superbly crafted nuance that helps build an impressive image. No advertising agency could direct attention any more effectively, LOL and your technique is only noticeable to an obsessional critic who wants to understand how great images are built!

You're a master at the soft visual effect and tranquil mood that appears to come from a subtle veil of green over the background. So how does all this happen?

It doesn't appear to be merely an out of focus blurring effect!

Asher

Maggie,

How delightful! Cropping the upper left of the flowers so skillfully moves our attention to the stack of letters, (shouldn't they be worn and the ribbon creased from so many re-readings?). The meeting of the intense light reflection on the table, (below the blooms), helps lead our eyes to the so-neatly decorated letters. Once again, a superbly crafted nuance that helps build an impressive image. No advertising agency could direct attention any more effectively, LOL and your technique is only noticeable to an obsessional critic who wants to understand how great images are built!

You're a master at the soft visual effect and tranquil mood that appears to come from a subtle veil of green over the background. So how does all this happen?

It doesn't appear to be merely an out of focus blurring effect!

Asher

Thanks Asher. It comes partly from bokeh, partly some added noise and a bit of color and some masking. Nothing extreme but I wanted it to look soft and romantic. The image is not cropped but as framed in camera, but that is not unusual for me. If I wanted the blossoms at the back in focus, it would feel completely different and it would be important to include them in the frame... and yes, the envelopes should be creased; I agree. These are simply Xmas cards - I would love for them to be love letters; so much better :-D
Thanks for taking the time to comment. I know many don't like my stuff because it is pretty and post-card-ish, which are bad words in the art world but that's seems to be the only thing I'm good at and what I enjoy. :p

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks Asher. It comes partly from bokeh, partly some added noise and a bit of color and some masking. Nothing extreme but I wanted it to look soft and romantic. The image is not cropped but as framed in camera, but that is not unusual for me. If I wanted the blossoms at the back in focus, it would feel completely different and it would be important to include them in the frame... and yes, the envelopes should be creased; I agree. These are simply Xmas cards - I would love for them to be love letters; so much better :-D
Thanks for taking the time to comment. I know many don't like my stuff because it is pretty and post-card-ish, which are bad words in the art world but that's seems to be the only thing I'm good at and what I enjoy. :p

Maggie,

That admission of adding the "slight color" is an important clue to the mood you create! I see this in more than a few of your pictures and it's effective!

I feel privileged that I am allowed to be honest and disclose my critical opinion that the image is worthy but the letters need to show repeated use. Don't worry about the views of anyone who looks at your work as too pretty and "postcardish". First you have to satisfy yourself and keep your work honest!

Your work is only valuable to others if it is an expression that you have to make and bears your own unique "fingerprints". So if my comments don't fly against your intent, then please give it a try.

My job here is to entice folk to deliver their creations in the very best form of expression of their honest and strongly felt intent!

Asher

Antonio Correia

"Postcardish" or not, your work is beautiful Maggie !

Go on Maggie. Go on with your careful compositions ! :)

Have a nice week end ! :)