• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Printing & Framing

James Lemon

The final stages of a photograph from the hard drive to mounting on the wall.

I have a number of original images in my archive that are finalized and ready to be printed. I decided a long time ago that I would not be a printer or framer. Instead, I will concentrate my efforts on the picture making process.

I am currently working with one photograph from my archive and have had some test prints made to finalize monitor calibration.

The prints are outsourced; made with a Lightjet 430 photographic laser printer that exposes Ilford silver gelatin
papers and processed in traditional Ilford black and white photo chemistry.

I use a Ilford Gallerie (Fiber Base), a true silver gelatin Baryta based paper. The blacks really pop on this type of paper compared to resin coated paper.

I am currently working with two neutral toned prints of the same photograph. I still want to explore some sepia and selenium toned options. I think I might prefer a light selenium tone but I will make that decision later.

In the meantime I have taken the two prints to different framers to discover which supplies the best service, does the best work and is the most trustworthy.

At the first frame-shop, I went with: a silver metal frame, a 3" white mat and non-glare glass
At frame-shop number two I decided on a black wooden frame, 2-1/2" mat, and ultra-view glass

I liked the wooden frame, ultra-view glass and size of mat from frame-shop number two but I preferred the colour of the mat from the first frame-shop. So, I took the picture from frame-shop number two to frame-shop number one and they will now replace the mat using the original (white) colour and shade but in the smaller two-and-a-half inch size.

I am also going to be receiving a small sample package of prints with various tones and will then decide on whether to go with a neutral tone or a selenium, sepia tone...

Best, regards
James

Doug Kerr

Hi, James,

I have a number of original images in my archive that are finalized and ready to be printed. I decided a long time ago that I would not be a printer or framer. Instead, I will concentrate my efforts on the picture making process.

I am currently working with one photograph from my archive and have had some test prints made to finalize monitor calibration.

The prints are outsourced; made with a Lightjet 430 photographic laser printer that exposes Ilford silver gelatin papers and processed in traditional Ilford black and white photo chemistry.

<snip>

I liked the wooden frame, ultra-view glass and size of mat from frame-shop number two but I preferred the colour of the mat from the first frame-shop. So, I took the picture from frame-shop number two to frame-shop number one and they will now replace the mat using the original (white) colour and shade but in the smaller two-and-a-half inch size.

I am also going to be receiving a small sample package of prints with various tones and will then decide on whether to go with a neutral tone or a selenium, sepia tone...

Thanks for letting us learn of the serious attention you are giving to these pivotal stages on the way to your final artwork.

Best regards,

Doug

James Lemon

Hi, James,

Thanks for letting us learn of the serious attention you are giving to these pivotal stages on the way to your final artwork.

Best regards,

Doug

Hi Doug

Do you do much printing , shareing ,or do your photographs sleep on a disc somewhere? I know Antonio does work in this regard but I wonder what others are doing with their images ?

James

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

The prints are outsourced; made with a Lightjet 430 photographic laser printer that exposes Ilford silver gelatin
papers and processed in traditional Ilford black and white photo chemistry.

I use a Ilford Gallerie (Fiber Base), a true silver gelatin Baryta based paper. The blacks really pop on this type of paper compared to resin coated paper.

I am currently working with two neutral toned prints of the same photograph. I still want to explore some sepia and selenium toned options. I think I might prefer a light selenium tone but I will make that decision later.

In the meantime I have taken the two prints to different framers to discover which supplies the best service, does the best work and is the most trustworthy.

At the first frame-shop, I went with: a silver metal frame, a 3" white mat and non-glare glass
At frame-shop number two I decided on a black wooden frame, 2-1/2" mat, and ultra-view glass

Best, regards
James

Jim,

Few of the most impressive photographs taken go further than a small compressed version posted on the web! There's a huge barrier to exporting that wonderful work to a real print one can put on show.

Why is that? One needs a workflow so that what one sees on the monitor can get to the printer. But there's a myriad of choices and no end of hidden costs involved. The choices of just paper composition and coating and the type of frame, and matte if any, allows or prevents the full experience of the picture to the viewer!

So, I personally appreciate learning how others have explored and made this journey to make prints as captivating as the screen shows!

Thanks for sharing.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, James,

Hi Doug

Do you do much printing , shareing ,or do your photographs sleep on a disc somewhere?

Well, sadly many just sleep on a couple of hard disks!

I rarely print or have printed my images.

Today, the bulk of my images that are actually used are put up on Carla's blog, which some call "Alamogordo's second newspaper". Others go by e-mail to friends and relatives, onto various "social media" (which I personally don't use at all), or onto this forum

I hand them off to Carla (or use them here) at a pixel size of 800 px in the largest dimension.

I usually process them with that delivery mode in mind, with a bit more contrast and saturation than might be best for a serious print.

You can see her blog here:

http://cccrittenden.blogspot.com/

Many of the shots are by Carla herself. She is mostly using a Canon G16 these days.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

James Lemon

Hi, James,

Well, sadly many just sleep on a couple of hard disks!

I rarely print or have printed my images.

Today, the bulk of my images that are actually used are put up on Carla's blog, which some call "Alamogordo's second newspaper". Others go by e-mail to friends and relatives, onto various "social media" (which I personally don't use at all), or onto this forum

I hand them off to Carla (or use them here) at a pixel size of 800 px in the largest dimension.

I usually process them with that delivery mode in mind, with a bit more contrast and saturation than might be best for a serious print.

You can see her blog here:

http://cccrittenden.blogspot.com/

Many of the shots are by Carla herself. She is mostly using a Canon G16 these days.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug

It sounds like you do enjoy them but in a different form and they have a purpose.

James