• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Bragging on Carla

Doug Kerr

The Red Hat Society is an international social order for women at least age 50 (although there is a class of membership for those under that age). The objective of the organization is just for the members to have fun. It is a wonderful vehicle for fellowship for the members, many of whom are widowed and who in any case might not otherwise "get out much".

Carla had been active in the movement for a number of years, and had founded, and then headed a chapter in East Dallas when we lived there. In Weatherford, Texas (about 35 miles west of Fort Worth, where we lived next, she became very active in the existing chapter there.

When we moved to Alamogordo, New Mexico, she discovered that the movement had become moribund, with no actual chartered chapter still in existence. She founded one, which is today extremely active.

Some Red Hat chapters just got to lunch together once of twice a month, but not the New Mexico Roadrunner chapter. The members go to plays and museums, to flower farms and prehistoric hieroglyph sites, and even visited the nearby Brackish Wastewater Research Facility, a testbed where university research establishments and commercial enterprises can test out new systems for the desalinization of salt-bearing groundwater. ("Brackish" means "salty, but not so much as the ocean") The director said he had rarely hosted a group that asked so many insightful questions (much more so, he said, than his last visit from a group of US military researchers).

Along with her other extensive civic and charitable work, Carla has written one of the short plays to be represented by the local community theater in a "montage" of six plays to be presented at the end of this month, and is in fact assistant director for it (she is in effect in an apprenticeship for theatrical directing). She also has a major role in another of the plays. And she is president of the Theater Guild, which supports and guides the community theater (which is actually an operation of the Theater Department of the local community college, a satellite of New Mexico State University).

But back to the Red Hat Society. Last fall Carla unexpectedly found herself on the cover of the Society's slick magazine. And just this month, she learned that she had been honored as Queen of the Month (the chapter leaders are all designated Queens).

Tomorrow, 2015.08.10, is Carla's 77th birthday. In honor of this, the machine at the IHOP restaurant chain * sent her a coupon good for a free breakfast, which she enjoyed this morning.

* The company spent over 20 years pondering just exactly how the chain's "stores" (restaurants) should represent themselves. Some had signs just saying "IHOP", some with the chain's original full name, "International House of Pancakes", and some with the rather uncertain "International House of pancakes". Some stores had various of these in view. They finally decided that the store signage should all say just what, by that time, everyone called them anyway, "IHOP" (pronounced as an acronym). They seemed very proud that they had spent 20 years on this important matter.​

So here we see Carla at table:

Carla_BD_G03491-02-S800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Carla and the free strawberry crêpes

This was shot at ISO 400 with our Canon PowerShot G16. I took the liberty of using Portrait Professional 12 to do a little work on Carla's face, which, while still very young looking, does bear a few lines reflecting her immense experience. The edited image (4000 px × 3000 px) was downsized to 800 px wide by Image Magick, directed by Bart's marvelous script.

Now, off to our favorite Mexican restaurant, Casa de Sueños in Tularosa, about 15 miles north, for the second round of gastronomic celebration.

Best regards,

Doug

Tom dinning

Registrant*
That's one hell of a woman you are married to, Doug. I hope she didn't eat it all. At least you would have had the cardiac unit close by.
I think I could handle waking up to Carla every morning, although Christine is a pleasure to wake to.
She is beautiful and you are deserving.
Cheers

Doug Kerr

Hi, Tom,

That's one hell of a woman you are married to, Doug. I hope she didn't eat it all.
Actually, she did!

I think I could handle waking up to Carla every morning . . .

Its a helluva great way to start the day.

. . .although Christine is a pleasure to wake to.

Well, I can imagine, from what you've said. We need to see some pictures of Christine (with you would be OK).

She is beautiful and you are deserving.

Thank you so much.

Best regards,

Doug

fahim mohammed

A talented and beautiful lady Doug.

May you two enjoy each other for many years to come in happiness and health.

Kindest regards.

Doug Kerr

To continue the report on Sunday's gastronomic festival, here we see Carla and myself having our mid-afternoon meal at Casa de Sueños ("House of dreams" in Spanish) in nearby Tularosa, arguably the best Mexican restaurant in the region.

Carla_BD_G03495-01-S800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Dining at Casa de Sueños

On the photographic front, in this available light shot we see some intrusion of noise, one of the disadvantages of shooting with a camera I can keep in my pocket (here again the Canon PowerShot G16).

Of course even if my Panasonic FZ1000 had arrived, I wouldn't have had it with me at the time! Maybe.

I dearly love the G16. But, as they say in the auto engine business, "inches count".

Some may wonder why Carla was not wearing a red hat. Well, of course, she wasn't really in Red Hat Society regalia, as this was not a Red Hat event. But in fact, during the month of a member's birthday, the colors of the regalia are reversed, calling for a red outfit and a purple hat. So Carla's lavender hat seen here is a nod to that convention.

There's a bit of a story to my hat as well. It is a Panama, the "riverboat gambler" model. Carla bought it for me in part to wear for a theatrical role I had, but also to be my summer hat. When it arrived, it was the right size for my head but not the right shape, and of course it was so stiff that it could not be adjusted "in the field".

But in Tularosa, in fact (not far from the restaurant) is a real hat shop, with traditional machinery for making felt hats and for adjusting the shapes of hats. A few puffs of steam and skillful work with an (ancient) expanding wood block by the proprietor made the hat fit just perfectly.

Best regards,

Doug

Please say Happy Birthday to Carla, for me. We can easily see how very proud of her you are, as well you should be. That smile on your face confirms it! :)