• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My wife's car

Antonio Correia

Asher, you may be wrong...
The you refer to was the Citroen ID and DS. I female God on the roads ! Déesse ! ;)
Back then I was subscriber of L'Auto-Journal...

i-ptPkj48-XL.png

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Asher, you may be wrong...
The you refer to was the Citroen ID and DS. I female God on the roads ! Déesse ! ;)
Back then I was subscriber of L'Auto-Journal...

i-ptPkj48-XL.png

Exactly, Antonio!

This is THE car of the 20th Century. The most comfortable car ever to drive according to Jay Leno’s incredible video here!

I think I am going to find the latest version and so a test drive!

BTW, after over 100 bullets and 4 blown tires, President De Gaulle’s driver gunned the car and drove the President away safely at high speed and this saved the President of France!

What other car could handle like that!

Asher

Antonio Correia

However, this kind of suspension was abandoned and new ones are on the road.

BMW has the "Adaptive suspension" A great one I was told...

Jerome Marot

Hydropneumatic suspension was indeed discontinued, in 2017. But it was used in many Citroën cars and not only the DS/ID series: GS (my father had one of these), CX, SM, XM, C5...

Interestingly, "DS" is a brand of cars today. Citroën try to use the myth associated to one of their most popular designs to sell a whole series of upmarket cars derived from standard Citroën models. So the C3 becomes the DS3, the C5, DS5 etc... Amusingly, I just heard an advertisement for the DS7 today which has a new computerised suspension (but probably not as revolutionary as the hydropneumatic was, I am afraid: just standard with electronics added).

The Renault/Dacia Duster, OTOH, is a standard car that looks a bit like an off-read vehicle, as so-called "SUV". It lacks real off road abilities and therefore is not suited to the French army, even in that army-like colour...

Asher Kelman

Hydropneumatic suspension was indeed discontinued, in 2017. But it was used in many Citroën cars and not only the DS/ID series: GS (my father had one of these), CX, SM, XM, C5...

This is sad, Jerome, as the French engineer, although quirky and subject to leaks, beat anything else for decades. Now there are various magnetic linear motor based systems, the most advanced may be by Bose, recently acquired by ClearMotion. I think this is due to appear in some brands of cars in 2019. I think that this system will be the gold standard against which all other systems will be measured.

Anyone know if it’s in any 2018 cards yet?

Interestingly, "DS" is a brand of cars today. Citroën try to use the myth associated to one of their most popular designs to sell a whole series of upmarket cars derived from standard Citroën models. So the C3 becomes the DS3, the C5, DS5 etc... Amusingly, I just heard an advertisement for the DS7 today which has a new computerised suspension (but probably not as revolutionary as the hydropneumatic was, I am afraid: just standard with electronics added).

The Renault/Dacia Duster, OTOH, is a standard car that looks a bit like an off-read vehicle, as so-called "SUV". It lacks real off road abilities and therefore is not suited to the French army, even in that army-like colour...

It does appear that they are providing beautiful styling but matching the comfort of the original, but now abandoned designs, is a huge question. Of course Americans wouldn’t have a clue but Europeans will quickly out the car if it disappoints and falls short of the unique Citroen ride.

Asher

Asher Kelman

I am afraid you are mistaken. You realise that Peugeot bought Citroën in 1976, don't you?

I didn’t know that! Well I am a dreamer, and somewhat ill-informed! So how did that change the role of the Citroen in the lineup of the best engineered and admired French cars?

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
I didn’t know that! Well I am a dreamer, and somewhat ill-informed! So how did that change the role of the Citroen in the lineup of the best engineered and admired French cars?

Asher

More:
Peugeot while buying Citroën became Groupe PSA and then also acquired Vauxhall and Opel from General Motors

Peter Dexter

My cousin had a Citroen SM that she drove back and forth between Toronto and her farm fifty miles to the north. She would toodle along at 100 until one day when she suddenly realized the speedometer was in mph.

The Renault/Dacia Duster is not a hard core off road vehicle primarily because it doesn't have a two speed transfer case. However unlike Honda and Mazda etc. the Nissan supplied 4wd system offers a "lock" position in which front and rear axels are locked together like a Jeep or other off road vehicle and can't be discapacitated by overheating from excessive spinning. And while it has no "low range" it does have what we used to call a "granny" first gear in it's six speed transmission that is used for steep hills or hard going but not in normal driving where you start off in second.

Asher Kelman

However, my buying a new Mac computer always was followed a month later, (after the return period), by newer more capable model.

I never wash my car ever and it still rains in California!

Asher

Antonio Correia

Jerome, do you have any kind of protection on your car paint ?
It looks like you have applied sobre nano thing or wax.
That's what I do. It makes the car shine and I like to have it clean and sparkling.

Jerome Marot

Nope, I did not apply any of these products. I have no idea why the paint does not let the drops wet the surface, it does not happen all the time.