• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

"Exhibition" Pictures for Discussion and Questions Coming to Los Angeles SANTA MONICA CIVIC AUDITORIUM | JANUARY 17 - 21, PHOTO LA 2013

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
In just one week, photographers, artists and dealers will be arriving from all over the USA and abroad for what's grown into a valued fine photography show, a yearly treat for everyone. This year marks the 22cd International Los Angeles Photographic art Exhibition, running from the 17th to the 21st of January 2013 at The Santa Monica Civic Auditorium.

1855 Main Street
Santa Monica, CA 90401-3209
(310) 458-8551

PUBLIC HOURS
Friday January 18, 11am - 7pm
Saturday January 19, 11am - 7pm
Sunday January 20, 11am - 7pm
Monday January 21, 11am - 6pm

bellows.png

© Steve Kahn: The Hollywood Suites, 1974-1976,
Courtesy of Joseph Bellows Gallery

mccaw.png

© Chris McCaw: Sunburned GSP #225
(Pacific Ocean/LA), 2008.

16"x20" unique gelatin silver paper negative,
Courtesy of Duncan Miler Gallery

THE_GILDED_CIRCLE.jpg

© Josephine Sacabo: Gilded Circles and Sure Trouble,
Courtesy of 21st Editions

"Acclaimed as a showcase for the best in the photographic arts, photo l.a. continues to be one of the most dynamic and energized art fairs in the world. Since 1992, over 300 galleries, private dealers and publishers have participated and exhibited at photo l.a. More than 200 lectures, panels and collecting seminars have been presented. photo l.a.'s rich and distinguished history has influenced the transforming art/photography landscape of Los Angeles. Many important artists have been introduced to the public at photo l.a. and we are honored to have played a crucial role in the cultural life of Los Angeles."

With over 10,000 visitors photo l.a. is the best platform for meeting with collectors, curators and artists in Los Angeles. Our outstanding programming series continues to address the most current topics in the converging worlds of art and photography."

Looking forward to seeing many of you at the show!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Some words on the structure of the Photo LA 2103 show. There's a lot to see just visiting the exhibits of photographs. The giant space is divided into "streets" with booths about 20-40 ft manned by some of the most prestigious art galleries from the USA and abroad. One can just browse and chat to the artist, purchase or even, at times, snap a few images for personal use, with permission, of course!

The atmosphere is conducive to meeting other artists and art lovers as well as dealers. a great deal of work is shown and a lot is sold over the few days of the show. The breadth and depth of the photography covers the treasured masters as well as contributions of modern artists from all over the planet, representing every style one could imagine. From my past experience and the glimpses I've discovered for 2013, you will not be disappointed!

MB_WoodlandScene_2006.jpg

© Magdalena Bors: Woodland Scene, 2006,
Courtesy of Queensland Centre for Photography

Detailed ticket information is here. General admission is only $25 or $35 for a weekend pass.

Asher Kelman

Emerging Focus EXPO: A concurrent packed program alongside Photo LA

Well there's much more than this to explore in the very rich programming called "Emerging Focus". Most of the sessions require a $15, $45 or a few, $80 fee. One is unique in being absolutely FREE Saturday 2:30pm! :) ... but you still need the general entrance ticket!

Beyond the Print: This Seminar is on site at photo l.a., general admit on ticket required to participate. With Bonny Diadhiou & Paul Batoon (ICON) and Rudy Hernandez and Ramond Valdez(Fine Arts Solutions). This will be an informative lecture discussing the printing and finishing of fine art photography in today's rapidly-evolving market. Hosted by leaders in their respective fields – The Icon and Finishing Solutions – this session reflects the extensive involvement both companies have with artists, collectors, curators’ museums and institutions all over the globe. Get a better understanding of what is possible and what is expected, learn about the newest techniques and materials and find answers to your questions about producing work that meets the standards of serious galleries and museum.
$0.00

Asher Kelman

If you're going to San Francisco
Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair
If you're going to San Francisco
You're gonna meet some gentle people there

collum_james_MeadowAtDawnHenryCowell_MyHometown_2010.jpg

"Jim", (James) Collum: Meadow at Dawn

From the "My hometown" Series

Date: 2010
Medium: Inkjet print
Size: 6x12", 14x28"
Edition: 15

Medium: Platinum
Size: 6x12"
Edition: 9

Well at least, one San Franciscan, OPFr Jim Collum, will be here for the Photo LA show over the next weekend! He's be here to meet us and explain his work. He's represented by The Susan Spiritus Gallery.

We've enjoyed some of his pictures here in OPF: LF, Leica, scanning back, platinum process and pigment prints. I've been fortunate to have met him and photographed with him in Northern California. What a generous man! Jim is one of those few artists who's equally at home in a wet darkroom, in digital workflow, as a master platinum printer and with modern pigment ink printing. In fact he's such a perfectionist pigment "inkiist" that he's even found a way of combining platinum process with pigment inks!

His work covers personal space, of what's near him in the neighborhood, visits to industrial mammoths now of a past age and recording the beauty of country side and the way the rocks and waves appear at the California coast. Fortunately, despite his works growth in popularity with collectors, Jim retains his down to earthiness approachability and spirit of sharing of many of the classic large format photographers, where the work is more important than the sale

Let me know if you are also going to the exhibit. We'll hook up and share a drink!

Asher

Asher Kelman

O.K., I've obtained scans of the latest of Jim Collum's images that will be at the show. Make sure you visit to appreciate directly great platinum prints and his process of Pigment Ink over Platinum.

484109_10151089782482863_2033706502_n.jpg

483953_10151094647432863_2131647504_n.jpg

564933_10151208359627863_1495526625_n.jpg

549607_10151096672417863_1210172129_n.jpg

platinum_sunflower_01.jpg

Last edited:

JimCollum

pro member
wow.. thanks for the incredibly nice writeup, Asher... i should hire you to write up my marketing material ( for some reason my 'i take purdy pics' doesn't flow the same way as your words do.. :)

i'll be in the Susan Spiritus Gallery booth Friday and Saturday.. if anyone's around and visits. (i'll be the guy with the really crappy looking Leica hanging over his shoulder...)

thanks again Asher!!!

Asher Kelman

Adding color to platinum/palladium is a lot of work but delivers a unique viewing experience that is less harsh than monochrome and more bold than straight color. Something of illustration in a book of tales of goblins and fairies in a forrest long ago.

Am also impressed that this idea of nuanced color on monochrome can be sought out by the observant photographer. Michael Nagel has captured such magic in one stroke here.

Asher