• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

"Magic Tricks Revealed!" or "Secret Industry Techniques"

I am constantly running across images that I know have been perfected in photoshop and I have clue zero where to start in coming close to achieving similar effects!

Well, strobist just ran an interview with an amazing 17 yr. old photographer, Joey Lawrence, and Joey is offering to disclose the techniques that I can't find anywhere else! Its almost like our age is filled with Photoshop Magicians and they have a code not to disclose the secrets of the magic.

I do have a question though. Does anyone know where some of the techniques promised in the tutorials are described elsewhere on the internet? I'm especially interested in the two "multiply" techniques.

Before I plunk down the $230 for the tutorials, I thought I'd ask.

Eric Hiss

retouchpro

Hi Ed,
You can find a lot of great stuff out there for free - a lot on retouchpro and other sites. I've seen his work and it is good but also think $290 is too much to pay for the tutorials. I might be willing to pay 1/3 or 1/2 of that.

Tim Armes

Hi Edward,

I'd love to take a look at these DVDs. I suspect that the techniques themselves are quite straightforwards, however it's Joey's application of these techniques that I would like to see.

Unfortunately I can't justify that sort of money when there are so many other things to save for... (lenses, pocket wizards, etc.)

Tim

Tim,

I actually found a forum thread over on dpchallenge where Joey actually provides insight on some of his processing.

I've never been to that site before yesterday. It looks to me like there is quite a lot of good info there.

Last edited:

Tim Armes

Tim,

I actually found a forum thread over on RetouchPRO where Joey actually provides insight on some of his processing.

I've never been to that site before yesterday. It looks to me like there is quite a lot of good info there.

Hi,

Can you point us to the thread in question?

Tim

I am constantly running across images that I know have been perfected in photoshop and I have clue zero where to start in coming close to achieving similar effects!

Hi Ed,

I'm wondering a bit what it is that you are after. I assume it's not just some artsy effects for the sake of effect, or is it? Effects can be applied by some of the Photoshop Filters, or by a number of free or paid actions you can find on the internet, so that's easy enough.

Personally I prefer subtle changes to a carefully composed and exposed image, changes that help to enhance the mood that I want to (re)create and convey to the viewer. That will require a very good understanding of the relevant tools that e.g Photoshop offers. Only, and I repeat only, when I have some pre-visualized abstraction of the image in my mind will I go in the direction of artsy effects, because they can also enhance the mood I want to create.

That being said, I also understand that one can learn from, and improve one's general skills by, studying the tricks/methods that others have constructed after lots of trial and error. However, don't think that by copying a few of his 'tricks' you will be able to match his talent, and talented he is (and ballsy). In fact, as one reviewer commented: "I downloaded his tutorial and watched most of it. It's really really straight forward stuff. I feel dumb for not being able to figure it out on my own. The secret: layers".

I do have a question though. Does anyone know where some of the techniques promised in the tutorials are described elsewhere on the internet? I'm especially interested in the two "multiply" techniques.

Apart from reading the help file on multiply and experimenting with it, http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/ has a lot of free actions that may do what you are looking for, or give pointers how to make your own. There are good Photoshop books, e.g. by Katrin Eismann, to lean the tricks from.

Bart

Thanks Bart.

To answer your question, I think the process goes something like this for me...

When I'm out creating with my camera, I see something that evokes the itch. The itch being my visual intuition that I might want to pause and look further for a photograph.

This intuition is fed by my own photos and experience as well as the studying I do of other's work. These days, much of the really good stuff has been significantly enhanced in photoshop, including Joey's work.

Now, do I want to "be like Joey"? Not really. I like some of the directions he takes his work and would like to TAKE MY WORK in a different direction with similar technique.

I see similar techniques (I think) being used by several people and would to apply similar effect to SOME of my work, albiet not for the same reason.

Tim Gray

A couple of thoughts, given that I was/am considering paying for the tutorial (if for no other reason than supporting a local talent (Ontario).

I don't think the point is copying anyone's technique, but rather having sufficient expertise in using the tools of the trade to be able to execute a specific intent. A simple example - if you want to convert to B&W and the only tool you're familiar with is desaturate, you're not going to get the quality you could if you had mastered all (most) of the ways to get to B&W.

I've played a fair bit with the Draganizer action(s) at atncentral.com, and it's actually kind of fun to apply them to landscapes - if you're interested, the curves layer in Sharon's draganizer action is a bit extreme for landscapes - you can tone it down a bit, but a good tip is to set the "blend if" for the top layer black slider to split to something like 0, 30.

Here's a cityscape in that style:

070518-3948-Downtown.jpg

Thanks for the tip Tim! That is the type of effect I am pondering on a case by case basis for some of my photos.

Its that vivid color and neutral neutrals look with even tonality that is appealing to me...

Aida BGAgraphix

pro member
I didn't have the chance to see Joey's DVD, but I will always underline one thing: the final photo depends on lighting.

I would suggest to buy Katrin Eismann's books. You will find everything you need for modifying a photo. It's important to know PS with your eyes closed ;) Getting photos looking like in the adds takes a lot of time and a tutorial won't make the magic.

Leonardo Boher

pro member
I already saw those tutorials, not big deal, just curves. The trick is always in the set up before shooting :)

About multiply, the only thing I can say is that sub expose the image 1 EV as far as I know. I use it a lot in order to do lighing modifications :)

Bill Graham

Before you lay out that kind of $ for one two-hour lesson, I'd suggest you go over to John Paul Caponigro's site and check out his DVD's. His Drawing With Light: 21st Century Dodging and Burning is excellent, Six Simple Steps to Good Color Management and The Art of Proofing are essential if you want the best from your prints, and I'm working my way through Photoshop Color Tools now. At $59.95(plus a fairly onerous S/H charge) each I wouldn't call them a bargain but they're well worth the cost.

Or you could join NAPP for $99/yr. and get access to all the PS tricks you could ever ask for(if you can find them).

There are a ton of free and/or low-cost, excellent tutorials on the web, just spend some time with Google.

Just thought I'd offer my US$.02 worth,
Bill

Leonardo Boher

pro member

Well, strobist just ran an interview with an amazing 17 yr. old photographer, Joey Lawrence, and Joey is offering to disclose the techniques that I can't find anywhere else! Its almost like our age is filled with Photoshop Magicians and they have a code not to disclose the secrets of the magic.

It's simple, the guy uses curves. Local contrast, you know. The other stuff is on the shot, contasty sets and not artistic illumination. The effect is in PS with thousand of curve layers :)