• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Deciding to venture into B&W Photography: an Open Letter to David Butcher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Dave,

Thank you Doug and that is very sound advise. For me the passion of the "great" picture of the Memorial is one that I am striving to share with my fellow firefighters and fire buffs and also to hang on the wall of my toy room/den/sanctuary. The place where pictures from my firefighting days hang and where some of my favorite fire pictures hang.

But this picture is one that to me holds special meaning and that is why I have a passion for it. I lost a friend of mine a couple of years ago in a fire in which four firefighters were killed. This man fueled my passion for taking pictures of fire equipment and was like you, Robert, Asher, and all of you that have taken me under your wings and are willing to teach me. For me the Perfect picture of the memorial will prepare me for the day that I travel to the National Fallen Firefighter's Memorial and document that, with one special picture being the brick that has my friends name on it.

Thanks so much for that nice note.

I know that you will continue to advance in your vision, skill, and the quality of your results. Will you ever be completely satisfied with your own work? Hopefully not. But by the same token, always recognize that, wherever you are on your path of evolution, whatever you do is very worthwhile, both as art itself and also as a reflection of your respect for the very special brotherhood of which you have been, and are, a part.

And yes, I know the "box number" where I live.

And I know how a McCulloh loop works!

Best regards,

Doug
Just an old telephone guy

Dave Butcher

So I hunted around my files and found an example of a similar type of structure. This is the only time I've photographed such a sculpture because they really aren't interesting subjects to me.

http://www.traveljournals.net/pictu...an-santamarina-statue-alajuela-costa-rica.jpg

https://puravidaycostarica.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/dscn4561.jpg

Here is the Record shot taken at midday, an overview of the memorial:

20080308-DSC_1489.jpg

..........This time I wanted to focus on just the solider at the top being that anything else would take away from what it means. In this case I would not find an interesting angle by shooting up from the base.

...........To get to a higher vantage point, it was necessary for me to move a distance away across the street and capture the image with a long focal length.

This Soldier Profile was my result:

20080324-DSC_2824-Edit.jpg

Both images are fine for telling the historical story. Neither are of that much interest to me as a creative work though.

I thought I would post these images and observations to give you my approach to a similar content.
You may find some value from it.

---------

Rob

Thank you very much for sharing this with me and the rest of the board. As Doug has said

Just exquisite!

Thanks so much.

You sell yourself short, especially with regard to the "Soldier Profile".

I very much agree with this statement. To me the Southern Nevada Fallen Firefighters Memorial is more than a symbol. It speaks of the dedication that firefighters have just like the dedication and sacrifice that soldiers make for their countries.

20080324-DSC_2824-Edit.jpg

Dave Butcher

Hi, Dave,

Thanks so much for that nice note.

I know that you will continue to advance in your vision, skill, and the quality of your results. Will you ever be completely satisfied with your own work? Hopefully not. But by the same token, always recognize that, wherever you are on your path of evolution, whatever you do is very worthwhile, both as art itself and also as a reflection of your respect for the very special brotherhood of which you have been, and are, a part.

And yes, I know the "box number" where I live.

And I know how a McCulloh loop works!

Best regards,

Doug
Just an old telephone guy

Hmmm me thinks that you are a fellow Fire Buff. And I too know the running card and "First Alarm" Assignment for where I live.

And Doug thank you very much.