• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A Picture Worth a 1000mm Lens

a_picture_worth_a_1000mm_lens_by_rufusthered-db3o3n7.jpg

Handheld with a 50-year-old Nikon 500mm reflex combined with a 2X teleconverter.

Cheers
Mike

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
a_picture_worth_a_1000mm_lens_by_rufusthered-db3o3n7.jpg

Handheld with a 50-year-old Nikon 500mm reflex combined with a 2X teleconverter.

Cheers
Mike

Enjoyable, Mike. The leafy branches on the left make the picture sociable and mood elevating. We have good feelings!

Is it incomplete by a sliver in the bottom left of the moon?

Asher

Enjoyable, Mike. The leafy branches on the left make the picture sociable and mood elevating. We have good feelings!

Is it incomplete by a sliver in the bottom left of the moon?

Asher

The sliver is because the moon was two days from full, Asher. When full, too many clouds prevented a good photo.

Cheers
Mike

quite unsharp and so not really attractiv, isn't it?

What's attractive or not is in the eye of the beholder, Wolfgang. I played with sharpening of the entire photo or just the moon in different versions but in the end preferred a softer image with a wispy tree. It better reflected the mood of early evening and provided a closer approximation to my memory of the scene.

Cheers
Mike

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
What's attractive or not is in the eye of the beholder, Wolfgang. I played with sharpening of the entire photo or just the moon in different versions but in the end preferred a softer image with a wispy tree. It better reflected the mood of early evening and provided a closer approximation to my memory of the scene.

Mike,

My wife and I both found the picture "unharsh" .......and thus quite charming and worth printing and saving.

It all depends, I guess to what's in one's library of references. As you remind us, taste varies and past experience of what we have been exposed to in the past. Most of the famous B&W photographs of a full moon boast precision and sharp detail. That, it seems, has become part of the "currency" of good form and craft. But like "soft milky waters" in waterfalls, it is also just a fashion.

Asher

Wolfgang Plattner

Cheers
Mike

so you used the lens to do it unsharp not the postprocessing?
I guess the final picture could be more "pleasing" if you that "unsharpening" with e.g. blurring filters ...

so you used the lens to do it unsharp not the postprocessing?
I guess the final picture could be more "pleasing" if you that "unsharpening" with e.g. blurring filters ...

No, I didn't use the lens to 'do it unsharp". The twighlight scene was gentle and unsharp, as captured by the lens/extender/camera combination. Why would anyone try to make it something it's not through post-processing?

Factors affecting the sharpness included diffraction (f16), low ISO (in the several thousands) and motion (associated with a shutter speed faster than 1000th sec.). The image is pleasing to me and others who matter because it portrays a nearly-full moon as often seen at sundown in this part of the world.

Cheers
Mike