• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

another monolith going down

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This is beyond sad! Kodak not only invented digital photography but also did the same with the technology for Xray imaging electronically. They didn't exploit it well themselves but licensed it to Fuji who became the king of that field.

Sad!

I'll store up on Kodak film while it's available.

Asher

fahim mohammed

Sad, yes.

But inevitable. We can discuss the causes till the cows come home.

Persons, Companies, Empires. Causes for the historians to argue over.

Always the same. Just a matter of time. Nothing is indispensable in the grand scheme of things.

In this particular instance, I am an Ilford user. Tri-x was not my fav.

p.s I have stocked up on Portra though!

Michael Seltzer

End of an era. It was Kodak (Eastman) who essentially defined what "photography" is, what it is we do when we do photography. At least, for anyone who uses an slr or rollfilm.

Tracy Lebenzon

While it’s no surprise that the digital age has mostly killed off old technology film and paper, bankruptcy doesn't necessarily imply the end of the company. It’s an “instrument” to lets them evade some debt related responsibilities.

I read one report that said Kodak’s been working on a line of inkjet printers since about '05 and are about to become profitable with those.

I guess the major risk is to those who have pensions and investments with Kodak. Chapter 11 often means the end of those kind of contracts.

They also have a number of divisions in different fields and by some comments, several billion dollars worth of patented technologies.

Like so many others, in the end they are victims of in part their own legacy, plus the downturn; combined with whatever management problems added.