• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Fake Sports Magazine Cover

Hello everyone,

Here's a fake Sports Illustrated Magazine cover I did for a HS. Shot with Canon 70-200mm F2.8 IS with one AB800

The headlines are Factual
IHS_SIweb.jpg

It was my first time shooting softball so I didn't have a lot of keepers but this one I think is a keeper
Fake Magazine for Animo HS - Shot with Canon 70-200mm F2.8 IS
animoSIweb.jpg

Comments/ critiques welcome.

--William

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
William,

I saw these yesterday, but held off. I'm enthisiastic about this kind of creative work for iindividual students. Children need affirmation. They get enough putting in their place with grades and reality that they are not often able to actually be the one with the A's and medals.

Here they are special.

Further, this is a source of extra sales. Now how does one keep it special. I don't know?

Still, this framed could be really treasured by the family for years!

Technically, I find both images impressive and the layering very well executed! Kudos!

How long does it take you and how much do you charge for this?

Asher

William,

I saw these yesterday, but held off. I'm enthisiastic about this kind of creative work for iindividual students. Children need affirmation. They get enough putting in their place with grades and reality that they are not often able to actually be the one with the A's and medals.
I agree with you 100%, kids/parents and coaches love these because it showcases the students physical efforts on their favorite sport. No to mention it is such a pleasure to see the kids faces when they get them it is simply a priceless reaction and their faces shine with pride. Truly priceless.

Here they are special.

Further, this is a source of extra sales. Now how does one keep it special. I don't know?
Yes, it's a great resource for extra income and as far as to keeping it special well, every kid has special talents, the magazine covers just showcases them with their stats, action shot etc. BTW all the headlines on the Fake SI cover are factual.

Still, this framed could be really treasured by the family for years!
You know, her dad is the coach of the team and he wanted to give her something really special so I showed him a few magazine cover templates that I did and he liked the SI cover. All he had to do was to give me the information for the headlines, I suggested what pic to use and voila!

When her dad received the cover he was speechless, again it was priceless. He told me then that he was going to give this to her on their banquet. She got one of the parents he works with to hide it for him, said that if he were to take it home he would be tempted to give it to her daughter before the banquet so the parent purchase a frame for it and kept it away from dad until the day of the banquet.

Technically, I find both images impressive and the layering very well executed! Kudos!
Thank you, really appreciate your comments and of course the kudos. ;)

How long does it take you and how much do you charge for this?

Asher
Well, since I already have the templates created all I have to do is swap the picture and add the headlines so maybe 5-7 minutes, sometimes less because the pic may not need processing.

One special thing that I do at no extra charge is to print the magazine cover on a 11x14 size paper with the magazine cover printed on the center at 8.5x11. By doing this, a border or mat is created and this provides enough space for people to sign their name/comments/wishes/congratulations/etc for the player. This turns into something they'll want to treasure for the rest of their lives as they go to college and eventually show to their kids. This works impressively well with seniors.

Again, thanks for taking the time and commenting, really appreciated.

--William

Brad Sorensen

wicked urgent, nice job ;-)

Please please please...
Could I get a copy of your templates to use for my daughter.
the Los Alamos High School Girls Tennis team won the 2007 AAAA state championship a couple of weeks ago. It was sweet they were ranked 3rd in the state going into the tournamnet and totally upset #1 Acadmey in ABQ.

my email address is:
sorensenbrad@gmail.com

Asher Kelman

Warning! Are you sure what you are doing is withing your rights?

Guys,

I ask you to seriously check whether or not you have a right to use designs that someone might clain you have no right to use. While I have no expertese in this matter and we do not control the content of professional posts, you have a responsibility to assure yourselves that you are not selling material that someone would claim is not yours to use.

I'm not suggesting that you cannot or should not make your design your own way, just find out whether or not your designs are your own and don't get yourselves into trouble.

I personally think the fake covers are obviously satire. This I'd hope comes unders freedom of speech, but I'm no lawyer and certainly no expert on interlectual property. All I know is that if we have information to the contrary, we would be bound by the TOS to edit your posts accordingly.

So at this time, the posts stay as they are wirtten but please find out and let me know if you receive an contrary legal opinion that prevents you from selling your pictures decorated this way to yourc school clients. We howver, do not condone nor criticise your work and happen to admire it as something kids and families would treasure. To me, FWIW, the obviously fake covers are a spoof and are no seriosu attempt to do anything untoward. But, hey that's me and what do I know!!

Asher

P.S. Anyone who has experience here might let us now about it!

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Asher
This IMHO not a satire but a copy, and even if it were a satire, as it is used commercially, the author could get legal pursuit, even in the United States, some things are forbidden... and I guess this is.

Am I wrong?

Paul Bestwick

pro member
I love the concept & I love the execution more so..........very well done. Just one problem though.......copyright issue. They could take you to the cleaners & you would not have a leg to stand on.
Of course I may be wrong ..........

Anyhow, have fun......nice job.

Cheers,

Paul

Man, I forgot about this forum.... I have not been here since around April 15 I think... lack of time actually etc... I mean there were times this forum was down then up again and then down and I guess this time is up or good? I hope so, I like this forum and would like to keep coming to contribute and receive input as well.

Anyway, to answer the question.... I've made templates for all my magazine covers and I would be happy to make them available commercially. I can also custom made any magazine cover of yoru choice, all I need is a title. Just email me for details. I don't want to use this forum to sell private stuff etc.

PLEASE NOTE
The only template that I will not sell is the Sports Illustrated one because I'm still working the details with SI (Time Inc) in New York. They own the copyright to SI, Time and about 150 other magazines. Even when I do get the permission, I will not be able to sell the template, I will only be allow to use it for my pics and sell to my clients. In addition, I will not create a template with real magazine titles.

I hope this helps and thanks for the compliments everyone! I'll try to post more templates of the magazine covers I've created.

--William

Asher Kelman

Hi William,

We did have some glitches way back and we dealt with it! Such happens on the WWW. We are up 99.99% of the time. I get all the notices of any issues and that is very rare!

You talent is very obvious and your work obviously brings such a lot of happiness. It's impressive that you are working with Time inc and your are obviously a stand-up guy!

Asher

Asher Kelman,

hmm I think I need to clarify what I said...

First of all I DO NOT work for TimeInc

What I am saying is that I' contacted TimeInc, requested and have received information from TimeInc on how to offer license SI covers to my clients. I've talked to two people from TimeInc on the phone, received emails from them etc.

I hope this is clear now. Again, I DO NOT work for TimeInc, I wish I did but I don't.

Asher,

I think everyone know (including me) how hard you work to keep this forum running smoothly.
It is a tough job, and you really have to have a passion for it and you have shown that many times in your post and in maintaining this forum running. Keep up the good work. ;)

Thanks

--William

Asher Kelman

Hi William,

Terms like "mess around with", "hook up with", "deal with", "carry-on with" and so forth, carry a wide variety of serious to titillating, friendly to damn murderous activity!

"Work with", LOL, is mean to connotate preparing or negotiating a mutually agreeable protocol for dealing one with the other in respect to overlapping interests.

"Work with" can also mean that as a consultant you work with Time Inc as in some sort of collegial corporate matter that joins your efforts for one project. However, for employment, where the giant company subsumes one’s identity, you would work at Time Inc. Not for one "Hollywood Moment" did I imagine you worked at Time Inc., although, I'm sure they’d get a talented graphic designer as a bonus!

I hope you will continue to post sport related images. This is a very important part of our society when it draws in young people and teaches teamwork and gives kids a chance to feel of value to each other.

Thanks for being here!

Asher

P.S. Also we'd like to know how you manage shoots and the tips for dealing with coaches and parents and of course feeding your family during the off seasons!

Last edited:

Ray West

Hi William,

Time Inc have a magazine named 'Sports Illustrated', afaik. Your magazine could be called 'Snorts Illustrated'. No idea if that makes a difference. Move the girl a tad, then 'Snorts Illuminated'

Best wishes,

Ray

Asher Kelman

Hi William,

Time Inc have a magazine named 'Sports Illustrated', afaik. Your magazine could be called 'Snorts Illustrated'. No idea if that makes a difference. Move the girl a tad, then 'Snorts Illuminated'

Best wishes,

Ray,

I had noticed the cut "P" but didn't say anything, LOL!

"Snorts" would bring in the Bureau of Tobacco and Firearms, the F.B.I. and the D.E.A. smashing down William's door for the "baggies" of white stuff!

Not be a great idea!

Asher

Asher Kelman

I should have added one thing, your work on glamorous models distracted me from this earlier photography. I'm glad to be brought back. What a lot of enjoyment in these covers!

I love school sports pictures since it's so much part of the optimism and potential for kids at the start of their lives. Photography is one little but important thread in the fabric that makes up their self-image. Like the actual trophies, a captured "peak-action" can be remembered and enjoyed for many years. That "sliding into base in a cloud of dust" or "saved goal" will in time become itself an icon for self-assurance and a model for future achievements.

Glamor pictures are delightful, for sure. :)

School sports pictures give children a chance to appear as super heros and to be seen surrounded by team mates. As much as I love the best glamor and fashion shot and am taken back by architecture and nature, kids are the present the past and the future. So when guys like Nill and you and others do a great job, I'm impressed.

Just thought I'd mention this personal point of view!

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Labs can print your image that way

There are some labs that have created sports templates - just upload the photo and they will print with a sports template which looks like a magazine cover. I haven't used them, but they are all over the professional photographer's magazines. No copyright issue with those designs and a lots of variations.