• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Badwater

Alain Briot

pro member
Badwater-600.jpg

This photograph was taken in the Spring of 2010 after a series of rainstorm that left a temporary lake at Badwater, in Death Valley National Park.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Badwater-600.jpg

This photograph was taken in the Spring of 2010 after a series of rainstorm that left a temporary lake at Badwater, in Death Valley National Park.

Alain,

I was happy to see the image. The dynamic of the foreground, rolling out like the tire track of some giant Mars rover, is striking. The view into a water-filled gorge does has a positive esthetic. Still, I wondered, "but is it a thing of beauty?" I held back from that and from replying. I asked instead, could it be that the picture one would frame is handsome but the scene itself has no beauty?

Ken's comment may provide the answer:

Like many, maybe most, of your landscapes this is, at its surface, a surreal scene. Otherworldly.

Ken,

I think, once again, you are one step ahead of me! What we see is indeed other-worldly. It appears real enough for another universe. If that is surreal, then we might agree.

Asher

Alien and Temporal. I'm jealous.

I'm always more attached to my images that have a fleeting quality. Personally, I place a higher value on an image that I know doesn't have much of a chance of being repeated.

The sharp angles on the ridges in the distance are surprisingly angular. Images that surprise my eyes are always exciting too.