• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

New series

Alain Briot

pro member
I just completed a new series of images created by moving the camera during the exposure. I titled it "Blurred trees" for the time being.

Here is one example:

CF005836-2.jpg

The complete series is at this link (12 images I think):

http://beautiful-landscape.com/Portfolio-Blurs.html

Alain

Alain Briot

pro member
Thank you for your enthusiastic response. I am humbled. I also very much like this new series. You are correct that the color detail is superb. This is due in part to using the P45 that has 12bit of color depth which helps, as well as using the Zeiss lenses that have excellent contrast. Of course the light and the subject as well as the movement of the camera all play a role as well.

here is a detail from one of the images:

blur-detail.jpg

Here's the crop area in the whole image:

Blurred-Trees-crop-indic.jpg

Alain

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Alain,

I'm glad you have shown your new work. I like the indefinite nature. It is more delicate and refreshing.

Yes, Jim,

This work is well to notice. Doing it well and with one's own fingerprints is the challenge. You have a headstart with you own recognizable style and aesthetics.

Asher

JimCollum

pro member
Yes.. it's the fingerprint that's important. I think that's the challenge that faces most of us as artists

Alain,

I'm glad you have shown your new work. I like the indefinite nature. It is more delicate and refreshing.

Yes, Jim,

This work is well to notice. Doing it well and with one's own fingerprints is the challenge. You have a headstart with you own recognizable style and aesthetics.

Asher

Andy brown

Brilliant stuff Alain.
I 've tried many variations of capturing movement myself and apart from standard stuff like moving water with stationary rocks to 'ground' the image I always feel disappointed and the resulting images mostly just look blurred or mushy.
You've created a wonderful painterly quality and a lovely ethereal feel.

/impressed.

Thanks for showing these Alain. A completely beautiful series that would look wonderful on my walls. Perhaps someday. Until then, will you share a little more of the technique? I have seen someone else's try at this kind of shot, not nearly as perfected as yours I might add, and I have even tried it a few times myself. That was a total disaster. The movement part is what foiled my plans. Coule you shed any light on that part of the technique?
James

Asher Kelman

Please keep the subject to pictures shown here.

This must not shift to promotion. I don't want us to debate this. The first image itself itself is worthy of discussion and when shown here is very welcome.

Asher :)

Last edited:

Alain Briot

pro member
Thanks for showing these Alain. A completely beautiful series that would look wonderful on my walls. Perhaps someday. Until then, will you share a little more of the technique? I have seen someone else's try at this kind of shot, not nearly as perfected as yours I might add, and I have even tried it a few times myself. That was a total disaster. The movement part is what foiled my plans. Coule you shed any light on that part of the technique?
James

Basically Hasselblad V with a Phase One P45 and moving the camera during long exposures. A large part of being successful with this process is developing the necessary experience. It literally takes hundreds if not thousands of shots to get a single good one. It is also important to spend time learning and finding out which subjects work and which subjects do not work.

It's truly a process that needed digital to be done well. My teacher in Paris in the early 80's, Scott McLeay, taught us this process first, also using a Hasselblad V. He was using this approach himself for his color work. However, with film he was limited to 24 exposures per roll maximum (if using 220 film) and even with multiple holders loaded and ready to go, you had to keep yourself to 100 exposures, provided you had 4 holders each with 220 film. Then you had to reload everything. This was not exactly practical. With digital I use 16gb cards right now and that makes the process way easier. I can shoot over 200 or 300 exposures per card, and changing to a new card takes no time at all. This means I can focus on the process totally.

Also, developing film took time and was expensive. With digital I can see the results immediately on the LCD screen, then confirm just minutes or hours later by converting the images on my computer.

Finally, printing. Scott used the Fresson process to print his images, a process which is both slow, complicated and expensive. Fresson is a small printer in France who selects the clients he wants to work with. He is the only one who uses a charcoal printing process to print both color and black and white images. The look of his prints is not unlike that of pigmented prints (read: inkjet) on matte papers. But the cost is much higher and the time you have to wait is like, forever. Now we can create this look in minutes in our studios.

All in all, a much much easier approach to a process that had been practiced before but was complicated by the limitations of film.

Thank you Alain for the time to answer. I suppose it is just another example of "practice makes perfect". I would have never imagined the large number of photos needed to get just the right one. That could explain my own failures in trying something similar. I will try again.
James

Alain Briot

pro member
Thank you Alain for the time to answer. I suppose it is just another example of "practice makes perfect". I would have never imagined the large number of photos needed to get just the right one. That could explain my own failures in trying something similar. I will try again.
James

Daniel Levitin says that it takes 10,000 hours to master something. He refers primarily to musicians but I think it applies to the other arts as well. At 8 hrs a day and 365 days a year, that's about three and a half years of daily practice. That would be the intense version of practice. Day in day out all year long. Doing nothing else literally. Few do this.

With a more practical approach, say if you only work 5 days a week, still at 8hrs a day, that's about 5 years.

With a much more common approach, say if you only 2hrs a day, 5 days a week, that's about 20 years...

My maths could be off. You can redo it (10,000 hrs divided by the number of hours you practice each day, then divided by the number of days you practice each year -, etc.)

Practice makes perfect... More practice makes perfect sooner.

Will Thompson

Well Known Member
Daniel Levitin says that it takes 10,000 hours to master something. He refers primarily to musicians

This mainly pertains to muscle and reflex training and not photography. If it did pertain to photography then there would be a 1000 times more good photographs then there are!

Asher Kelman

I just completed a new series of images created by moving the camera during the exposure. I titled it "Blurred trees" for the time being.

Here is one example:

CF005836-2.jpg

Hi Alain,

To me it's not so important what technique you use, although that's interesting. To me it's very simple; do I like this? The answer is yes! I enjoy the ephemeral nature, the abstraction of the trees. I wish there was more width to it but that's a minor quibble. I like the colors of green and browns which are found scattered through the images. Very earthy.

Asher