• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Garden view!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hedge Da Vinci.jpg

Asher Kelman: Morning light on Garden Wall

Canon 6D 24-105mm f4.0

Topaz Impression: Da vinci filter

Comments welcome and then add your own favs!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Hedge Da Vinci.jpg

Asher Kelman: Morning light on Garden Wall

Canon 6D 24-105mm f4.0

Topaz Impression: Da vinci filter

Lovely work.

Fascinating treatment, it seeming that the whole piece had been forced to "monochrome" except for the yellowish corners.

Perhaps the morning light is just working its way in!

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Thanks for stopping by, Doug.

That da Vinci filter tries to make a sketch with a yellow paper b.g. Where there is little detail.

I pulled the strength back to just give a hint of the effect.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Neat, Asher! Is the central plant a yucca of some sort?

Tom,

Thanks for visiting my garden! I first thought this is a variety of aloe barberosa, but the leaves seem too long and thin. A closer fit here, seems to be alo bainseii. But I will try to get the correct species. Need to find the invoice or call the fellow who put it in!

I like them as they do not demand either attention or water, but they are far larger than I had imagined! Got them as 3 ft high and thought they were fully grown, LOL! If it is the genuine South African alo bainseii, it grows to 17 meters high! That s a frightening prospect!

BTW, ignore all the wonderful medicinal claims about aloe Vera. There is little scientific evidence to support anything but bad liver, gut and kidney toxicity to oral intake.

However, for mild radiation treatment skin reactions and dryness, it appears to be very soothing.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Very tasteful, rustic elegance and low maintenance, Ash, as i would expect of someone from your location and age.

The photo is pleasant enough as well.

Thanks for joining me in my garden, Tom. From the outside street view, there's just a 15ft high hedge of beautifully trimmed green hedge. The city trees outside got infected with oak root fungus and as the roots play with each other's toes under the side walk, my trees got that infection too. In addition we had from Castro's Cuba, a thrip which spend its life cycle between the two layers of the leaves giving rise to bubbles from which the pointed tiny stinging thrips emerge.

As to the thrips I put systemic insecticide in the soil to bigger them pretty well for good. To deal with oak root fungus I decided to study their lifestyle and learnt that the oak root fungus is widespread, like carbon dioxide and nitrogen, things we just find throughout many Forrest's and woodlands around the planet. So I decided that it's all a matter of balance and removed every 4th tree in the hedge to allow each tree to have a wider span to grow leaves and then let the entire hedge increase in height be 3 feet. This addition of living space, and cutting watering, shifted the balance in favor of the remaining trees and now they are all healthy.

Also, I no longer pay for massive hedge cutting twice a year, but divided that payment to monthly amounts so the hedge is trimmed perfectly on an ongoing basis. Simple but beautiful b.g. For family and for privacy when photographing actors.

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
I'm confused, Ash.
Are not all pools clear?
Should they be any other way?
Darwin has an average rainfall of some 2500mm. There is definitely no shortage of water. If Noah were alive today and living next door he would be busy building an ark for the next wet season, although I'd like to know how he would handle a pair of crocs and a couple of tiger snakes.
I note in passing if Noah had taken into consideration the plant life that might not withstand a deluge and immersion for 40 days (I am assuming the nights came with the package.).

Incidentally, we do have plants. Tha's Christine's domain. I clean the pool, she does the rest. It's a deal we have.

Andy brown

Nice pic Asher. I'm not ruling out one of the dracaena species just yet.

Tom, not one of you signature shots, although your signature varies from an x scratched with a nail dipped in blood to the swirls of a buffalo tail dipped in dung.

Good sh!t anyhow.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Tom,

Very tasteful, rustic elegance and low maintenance, Ash, as i would expect of someone from your location and age.

The photo is pleasant enough as well.

_DSC9192 by Tom Dinning, on Flickr​

Wonderful shot in so many ways. The composition is striking, and the color the same. Your eye is your best appareil.

Almost looks like a photograph!

Best regards,

Doug

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Nice pic Asher. I'm not ruling out one of the dracaena species just yet.

Tom, not one of you signature shots, although your signature varies from an x scratched with a nail dipped in blood to the swirls of a buffalo tail dipped in dung.

Good sh!t anyhow.

Such praise would not be recognised in any other culture, Andy.

Cheers

Tom dinning

Registrant*
I am fascinated by the extraordinary color scheme. It is bold and effective- almost high architectural fashionable.

Can you explain?

Asher

I can't explain anything.
It's a photo I took a few years back, maybe 3 or 4.
If I had built the house there wouldn't be a pool. It was there when I bought it.
Evenings in Darwin are quite pleasant times to enjoy the colours, warmth and clear skies.
I can do that right here.
I remember this evening when the colours and shapes collected to create an image in my head. Whether this is what it really looked like on the evening, I can't tell you. Each evening is different and each perception is different.
I'm beginning to realise that most of what I do is either a mistake, an accident or totally subconscious.

Asher Kelman

Such praise would not be recognised in any other culture, Andy.

Cheers

You guys live in a strange world. Yesterday I read about an eagle trying to fly away with a little boy, grabbing a policeman's rescued orphan kangaroo and realize that even the wild creatures in Australia are pretty in your face!

Then there was the roo fella who was shown tenderly cradling his dead young lady! The Aussie papers raves about the compassion he showed. Then a prof on animal beahavior blue the whistle on them. He was just lifter her so as to mate! That is what he's so well equipped to do, as the scientist pointed out his instrument was fully deployed at the time!

Asher

Last edited:

Andy brown

Yes we live in a strange world ....and we love it.
A couple of days ago I was clearing some plates from the sink and there was a scorpion looking up at me. I wasn't sure what to do, my first thought was to eat him, the last scorpion I ate was at the bottom of a tequila bottle and tasted like a bit of asphalt.
Anyway, I filled the sink a little but he just floated so I got a glass and scooped him up and gave him 30 seconds in the microwave....and then I ate him.

Andy brown

Careful Asher, let's not start on Kangaroo sexual habits or accomplishments, or Aussies in general, it's a bloody hornets nest I tells ya.

p.s. macropodanecrophilia. Well documented,...still not pleasant!