• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Long long way from home....

fahim mohammed

p1110844215-4.jpg

Because it is there..long way off.

p1110844136-5.jpg

Peter Dexter

You visited Machu Pichu and Cusco. I was there and I'm not sure where you were when you took the Machu Pichu shot but it is awfully nice, maybe just a tad lighter. It is fortunate and you were lucky to have good weather because the site is often socked in with fog like the day I was there. In fact I would suggest to anyone who follows in your footsteps plan for two nights in Aguas Calientes in case you get "fogged" and need another day. Wonderful depth of field showing so much detail.

And yes a long way from your home. A little closer to me...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

p1110844215-4.jpg

p1110844136-5.jpg

It makes my head spin to just think of all the walking and climbing you do. What is the sea level height here?

I am concerned that you really might need extra oxygen. You have more stamina than an ox!

You arrive at a base town of over 11,000 ft and this place is about 8,000ft above sea level. Folk die at this level! Guys with cardiac or lung issues are especially vulnerable.

You, however, seem to just hop from one place to another like a pair of high altitude humming birds!

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

So what is your secret? Do you allow extra time for acclimatization. That could take weeks! Do you carry supplemental oxygen.

Folk in their 60's regularly get wiped out at these heights!

Asher

fahim mohammed

The desert!!

Seriously though, I have stopped going to these altitudes. Last I tried was 3500 meters and I needed a O2 inhaler..just for a few minutes at that height!

Ayesha does try and acclimatize on steeper ascents. But she too is being hindered by age nowadays.

Thanks.

So what is your secret? Do you allow extra time for acclimatization. That could take weeks! Do you carry supplemental oxygen.

Folk in their 60's regularly get wiped out at these heights!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Fahim,

The desert!!

Seriously though, I have stopped going to these altitudes. Last I tried was 3500 meters and I needed a O2 inhaler..just for a few minutes at that height!

Ayesha does try and acclimatize on steeper ascents. But she too is being hindered by age nowadays.

The thought of Ayesha being "hindered by age" is an oxymoron! But I know what you mean.

This is a real problem even at such modest elevations as we have here (about 4300 ft MSL "in town"). Several of the women in Carla's chapter of the Red Hat Society decline to attend events that are held in nearby towns at elevations of 7000 feet or even 9000 feet. And one of her friends has found that she needed to move from her home in a mountain town (at perhaps 7000 ft - 2700 m) to "down in town" (again perhaps 4300 ft MSL).

Best regards,

Doug

fahim mohammed

Agree with you there Doug. They say one can somewhat slow the decline...but that's about it!!

p1111182741-4.jpg

Stay well.

Hi, Fahim,

The thought of Ayesha being "hindered by age" is an oxymoron! But I know what you mean.

This is a real problem even at such modest elevations as we have here (about 4300 ft MSL "in town"). Several of the women in Carla's chapter of the Red Hat Society decline to attend events that are held in nearby towns at elevations of 7000 feet or even 9000 feet. And one of her friends has found that she needed to move from her home in a mountain town (at perhaps 7000 ft - 2700 m) to "down in town" (again perhaps 4300 ft MSL).

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Hindered by age or not you certainly get around.

If one allows time to acclimatize, one gets changed in the blood to allow more oxygen to be carried. It's a legal way of "doping" for athletics!

If one already has a failing heart with swollen ankles or jumping neck veins, then doing that is not so wise! Better to walk at a lower level, to a great restaurant, in Beverly Hills, for example!

No one has ever had altitude sickness here!

Asher

Asher Kelman

p1110844215-4.jpg

p1110844136-5.jpg

Fahim,

Since seeing these images, when it first appeared, I have been thinking how comfortable my home is and how even climbing up on the roof, these days, (to check on a leak being repaired), gets me out of breath. Yesterday, I had to do it twice, as, watching them fix a hole in the asphalt, I heard a woodpecker!!

...........and HAD to get my camera with a long lens.....by then, the bird had gone!

So I waited, sitting on the parapet on the edge of the roof. I was then in Machu Pichu, taking in the scene! After a while, a blurred movement caught my eye. It was that bird, but deep in the thick tangle of branches of a giant "tulip flower" tree. I pointed the lens and waited till it was closer and got it! I was thrilled.

I thought of you and Ayesha

اَلحَمْدُ

Get well!

Asher