• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Beautiful & Elegant metal architectural design.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I have become fascinated with the application of steel to making architecture stunningly beautiful in an organic way.

So I thought I would start a collection of fabulous structures where steel, copper or other metal is used in rectilinear or curvaceous forms to give a building great presence and identity.

As a start, here is the top of the newly renovated Petterson Car Museum on Wilshire Blvd in Los Angeles.

Petterson Steel.jpg

Asher Kelman: Petterson Car Museum

Canon 6D 50 1.2L

I was stunned that they converted a dilapidated poorly maintained corner building to become a new striking architectural landmark.

Looking forward to your contributions and comments.

Asher

Though made of metal, it has a very 'organic' signature. The flowing lines... even more than that, the spiralling top portrays the most fundamental molecule of life, the DNA.

Asher Kelman

Though made of metal, it has a very 'organic' signature. The flowing lines... even more than that, the spiralling top portrays the most fundamental molecule of life, the DNA.

Hi Reginald,

That's my feeling too. I am so impressed that one go go from imagining this to actually delivering it so well!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Nice capture of it Asher. I am reminded of the projects of James Wines.

I wonder whether his work inspired this new creation?

The Los Angeles Times critic was much more harsh, LOL!

"Still, the museum's raucous, happily tasteless new exterior, designed by Gene Kohn and Trent Tesch of Kohn Pedersen Fox, a prolific New York firm known for more reserved work, is not the sort of thing you want to just come upon, sending your unprotected corneas right into the fray."

Read with horror more, here! I just think the critic should have first visited some of Wines' works to get educated!

Asher