• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Spring Break 2013

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Finally Spring made it to Germany on March 1st!

So here a few quick shots in the park, Bellis perennis, Winter Aconite and Iris in that sequence.

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

1st is visible, 2nd is UV (ultraviolet)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Finally Spring made it to Germany on March 1st!

So here a few quick shots in the park, Bellis perennis, Winter Aconite and Iris in that sequence.

large.jpg

large.jpg

1st is visible, 2nd is UV (ultraviolet)

Klaus,

It's possible that insects process the UV data, (that we see here in purple false color), in far different ways than we do. We discern difference in light intensity. They might be able to perceive patterns in the first or second derivatives of changes in light intensity that we consider too close to make any difference. Has any work been done on such atypical ways at looking at the color data. Perhaps they can get far more information than we imagine from looking at our pseudo insect vision representations.

I'm wondering some insect scientist are thinking, "I cannot fathom how the humans get any pleasure from such a perceptive skill, seeing outside the UV spectrum, compared to the sublime view of the flowers we experience every day."

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Sure, that could be and a lot of research still needs to be done about flower - insect interaction. Every year I read about new and surprising finds, like the newest one that bumblebees sense the electrostatic field of flowers to find them, a sense we do not have at all. Read here http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/21508035