• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Polar Night

Jarmo Juntunen

Polar Night is the period of the year during which when the night lasts for more than 24 hours. In Finnish Lapland this means a total of some 50 days without sunlight. These pictures (colour, not bw) were taken on December 6th near Rovaniemi, Lapland, at 11 am.

_img1280.jpg

_img1280.jpg

Doug Kerr

Hi, Jarmo,

Polar Night is the period of the year during which when the night lasts for more than 24 hours. In Finnish Lapland this means a total of some 50 days without sunlight. These pictures (colour, not bw) were taken on December 6th near Rovaniemi, Lapland, at 11 am.

Wondrous pictures, reflecting a truly extraordinary region.

What was the source of illumination for these shots? Was it moonlight?

A good friend (she was Matron of Honor when I married Carla) was born in Sweden, and grew up in a tiny village just a bit north of the Arctic Circle. She tells marvelous stories of the "Polar Night".

Best regards,

Doug

Jarmo Juntunen

Hi, Jarmo,

Wondrous pictures, reflecting a truly extraordinary region.

What was the source of illumination for these shots? Was it moonlight?

A good friend (she was Matron of Honor when I married Carla) was born in Sweden, and grew up in a tiny village just a bit north of the Arctic Circle. She tells marvelous stories of the "Polar Night".

Best regards,

Doug

Thank you Doug! It was a cloudy day so the very little ambient light does come from the sun. And the sun will rise next time in early February!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Wonderful pictures.

Are there any shadows you can bring out in processing from RAW?

OT0H, in the perfectly diffused light, girls must look as if they have perfect skin, so I imagine there is more cuddling and that means a little bump in the population!

Asher

Jarmo Juntunen

Wonderful pictures.

Are there any shadows you can bring out in processing from RAW?

OT0H, in the perfectly diffused light, girls must look as if they have perfect skin, so I imagine there is more cuddling and that means a little bump in the population!

Asher

Sorry, no shadows available this time of the year. And yes, we have a lot of babies born in July-August :-D

Jarmo Juntunen

Antonio, now that mention it - yes, you're absolutely right!

Asher, you're welcome anytime. How are your skiing and reindeer driving skills :-D?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
My skiing is limited to downhill and no moguls. The reindeer better havrcautomatic transmission and heated seats!

Asher