• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Keyboard control for menu items?

ron_hiner

I'm trying to use Nikon Capture NX -- and there are a couple of menu options I hit constantly. There are no keyboard shortcuts to them (Show/Hide control points, Show/Hide selection)

I figure that if I can get to these menu items via the keyboard, I can create a macro to get there. But I'm completely stumped on how to access these menu options without using the mouse -- just the keyboard only. There must be a way!

I use a Wacom Cintiq -- so once I figure out the keystroke sequence, it's a trivial matter to put these on a pen pop menu.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Ron

P.S. I'm using OS X 10.4.10 MacPro intel

Last edited:

KrisCarnmarker

Forgive me if this is not applicable to the OS X world, but there is usually a keyboard shortcut to access the menus in general. On Windows, this is the Alt key with the mnemonic for each menu (e.g. Alt-F for File) and then hit the mnemonic for the menu item (e.g. S for Save). So on Windows you could always access File-Save as Alt-F, S.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Ron

Just an idea

from the finder go to system pref panel
hit keyboard and mouse
scroll down to the bottom until you see something like "all applications" or "all software"
then hi the little "+"
Browse/choose "Nikon Capture NX" (application in French)
type the name of menu etc…
then your keyboard shortcut

It may work!

Keep us updated…

ron_hiner

Kris -- you are absolutely right... generally. I'm looking for the mac equivalent of this.

The Windows version of NX doesn't seem to take that underline thing seriously -- it is not fully implemented in Capture NX.

Ron

ron_hiner

Hi Ron
from the finder go to system pref panel
hit keyboard and mouse <snip>
Keep us updated…

Thanks Nicolas ..

It looks like it should work... but NX didn't respond when I set it up.

Then I tried the same thing for Firefox -- Alt + Shift + 8 to trigger the 'Zoom' menu command (on the Window menu). Firefox didn't respond either.

Ron

Stan Jirman

Thanks Nicolas ..

It looks like it should work... but NX didn't respond when I set it up.

Then I tried the same thing for Firefox -- Alt + Shift + 8 to trigger the 'Zoom' menu command (on the Window menu). Firefox didn't respond either.

Ron

This typically works only for "well behaved" Cocoa apps. It won't work for most Carbon apps, and it won't work for some bad behaved Cocoa apps (like C1). I don't use NX, but I very much doubt it's a Cocoa app, so you're done already. Also, apps that create menu items dynamically will have a hard time with this customization (C1).

Per Ofverbeck

Here´s something that might work for you:

http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/menumaster

I use a couple of Unsanity´s "haxies", particularly the "FruitMenu", which is a real time-saver. My impression is that their products are stable and well-working (I do have the MenuMaster, but I haven´t had the time to test it properly, and I don´t have Capture NX).

Download and try it; pay if it works for you (it´s reasonably priced).

ron_hiner

Sweet!

Per -- thank you!

I downloaded the trial... and I think its going to work!

Menumaster looks like a pretty slick little app -- it appears that you can remap any keyboard shortcut from any app, in addition to what I need which is to add a keyboard shortcut where there was none before.

(I wish they made the same app for my Windows machine!)

Ron