• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

News: Adjusting DSLR lens focus: Michael Tapes delivers LensAlign II

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The Issue Addressed here: Getting the most out of one's DSLR with interchangeable lenses is not routine, necessarily. Even the most expensive flagship cameras need to be adjusted for each lens to make sure that the camera's AF system is correctly matched to the actual lens sample you own or rent.

Enter Solutions Our good friend Michael Tapes, the designer and producer of a number of really useful tools for photography, has just released a new and more economical, but updated, version of LensAlign™. Naturally, it's designated LensAlign II! Bart Ven Der Wolf has another sophisticated approach using moiré in a photograph of a target. We have a hugely popular technical discussion of that approach. Here we call attention to the arrival of a more economical version of Michael Tapes' well regarded system, source..

LensAlign.jpg

Michael Tapes Design: Lensalign II

"LensAlign MkII is a precision reference tool that enables photographers to accurately measure and then adjust the Auto Focusing accuracy of their DSLRs. It also reveals the performance of the camera's manual focus system. A few years ago, photographers started to notice front/back focusing problems with their DSLRs. For example, when their camera's AF system was locked on a person's eye, the person's nose or ear was actually the sharpest part of the captured image. In order to allow hundreds of lenses and bodies to be interchangeable, the tolerances within the manufacturing process can cause any specific body/lens combination to potentionaly exhibit these front/back focus anomalies. To compensate for this condition, most new professional and enthusiast DSLRs have an Auto Focus Adjustment within their menu system. LensAlign was created as a focus system measurement standard by which photographers can accurately measure and improve the performance of their cameras' focus systems.

Like its industry standard LensAlign PRO predecessor, the LensAlign MkII features our exclusive and patent pending True Parallel Alignment™ (TPA™). TPA verifies perfect parallel alignment between the camera sensor plane and the target surface of LensAlign, a requirement for consistent and precise Auto Focus adjustment. LensAlign MkII comes standard with a 10.5" Focus Display Ruler containing 2 alternate display patterns, one on each side. A 24" Long Ruler add-on option will be available in early February. LensAlign MkII is shipped flat in a Priority Mail postal envelope to reduce shipping costs. The MkII can also also be disassembled for travel or storage."

More information is available in a review in ImagingResource.com

There are bargains to be had with a savings in an economical package of the new design with WhiBal™, the wonderful grey card standard everyone should have. Visit Michael's website here.

Asher

Disclosure: I have no financial relationship with Michael Tapes, just know he's dedicated to producing great tools. I just happened to have purchased all my color calibration tools, including EyeOne spectrophotometer from him, at full price, for my workflow. his service has always been excellent. He also was a major help in setting up the vBulletin engine for OPF and for that we are for ever grateful.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Our good friend Michael Tapes, the designer and producer of a number of really useful tools for photography, has just released a new and more economical, but updated, version of LensAlign™. Naturally, it's designated LensAlign II!
LensAlign Mk II, actually!

I have used the original LensAlign tool, and have enjoyed it very much. It has numerous thoughtful design features, and does a great job.

A first look at the information on the LensAlign Mk II suggests that, although it is a smaller and in some ways slightly simplified design, it has several very desirable new features, some of which I had hoped for.

Thanks, Michael, for continuing to carry forward your work in what seems to be the high style we have come to expect.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher, Michael,

LensAlign.jpg

Michael Tapes Design: Lensalign II

What are we looking at in the small pic at lower right? I don't exactly recognize it.

Is it the "Lite" version of the original LensAlign family (I forget exactly how that is organized)? (discontinued and picture updated to remove it! Asher)

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael Tapes

OPF Administrator/Moderator
Hi, Asher, Michael,

What are we looking at in the small pic at lower right? I don't exactly recognize it.

Is it the "Lite" version of the original LensAlign family (I forget exactly how that is organized)?

Hi Doug and Asher,

Yes that is the discontinued LITE version. The web page is now corrected. (Asher...would you mind changing the screen shot above).

I am really excited about the release of the MkII. It offers all of the required feature of the PRO version at $100 less.

There is one thing that dampens the launch of the MkII. That is the sudden death last month of my dear friend (of 40+ years), Art Director, Graphics Designer, and WebMaster of all my projects for the past 10 years, Jeffrey Kracke. It is a tragic personal loss for me, and as you can see will affect our ability to get the web site updated with the MkII. I am getting it together a little at a time, but with my to-do list being top heavy in the urgent category, it is a real challenge. But Jeffrey is with me in spirit, and he taunts me everyday to dig into his files without screwing it up :>)

So my thanks for Asher for helping to spread the word, and ho to all of my friends here at OPF. I am not here very often simply because my time is limited, but I must say that I am totally enjoying the work, and look forward to each and every day, as life is too short, as I have recently been reminded.

Best wishes and happy holidays to all. I will watch this thread and be happy to answer any questions.

Thanks again for your support...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Doug and Asher,

Yes that is the discontinued LITE version. The web page is now corrected. (Asher...would you mind changing the screen shot above).

Screen capture corrected to show only your latest picture of LensAlign™ II

I am really excited about the release of the MkII. It offers all of the required feature of the PRO version at $100 less.

There is one thing that dampens the launch of the MkII. That is the sudden death last month of my dear friend (of 40+ years), Art Director, Graphics Designer, and WebMaster of all my projects for the past 10 years, Jeffrey Kracke. It is a tragic personal loss for me......

Dear Michael,

Life is indeed fragile. We take a lot for granted! I say

"Be nice to the other folk in the tour bus. You never know when there's going to be a tap on the window that one of us has to get off."

So my thanks for Asher for helping to spread the word, and ho to all of my friends here at OPF.

Best wishes and happy holidays to all. I will watch this thread and be happy to answer any questions.

Thanks again for your support...

Entirely welcome!

Asher