• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Table Tennis

Tim Chong

First time shooting this.

From Saturday

66270140.jpg

and Sunday

66604401.jpg

Your timing is incredible. Please tell me that you are using flash, and perhaps you could describe the setup.

What's your keeper to total shots ratio with a fast sport like this?

scott

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Tim, we're impressed!

O.K., now tell us how you do this: lens, camera, settings, flash if any.

Then a much smaller point, why all the pictures, as one would be powerful too?

Asher

Don Lashier

Asher wrote:
> O.K., now tell us how you do this: lens, camera, settings, flash if any.

I don't see any signs of flash - which makes this even more impressive. High ISO?

> why all the pictures, as one would be powerful too?

I rather like the effect, particularly the second set, although it would look much more impressive in a large print than on the web. I'm considering doing a set like this of cat (kitten) photos, although all the same kitten.

- DL

Don Lashier said:
Asher wrote:

> why all the pictures, as one would be powerful too?

I rather like the effect, particularly the second set

- DL

This display seems like another good example where a point is made through repetition and comparison that you might not catch with a single picture. There is a bright white ball high, focussed on by two crossed eyes (which indicates extremely close distance) in almost every shot. This takes "keeping your eye on the ball" to a level that I have never seen before. It does make me wonder if anyone smashes the ball in the current style of play. I would guess this concentration is intended to decipher the spin on the ball, and put some even more evil spin on it when returning the shot.

Would love to know more.

scott

Asher Kelman

Fantastic observation, Scott.

Now you have made a great point and the whole piece becomes not just a repeating complex, but to me, at least, the nascence of a work of art.

Asher

"Eyes on the ball"

This is a great series, no doubt on my side.

However it seems like most of you guys didn't play the ping-pong for too long and forgot its basic moves. :)

All the pictures with the ball incredibly close to the player's face could have been technically taken during the serve, and during the serve only.
It is this very moment when the ball practically stops in the mid air. And since the player is very close to it, it's a good opportunity for a photog to capture both the ball and the face - without flash, and with a reasonable slow shutter speed, since the players also tend to be very still at that moment, a split second before the racket hits the ball and the real fun begins...
Just wanted to remove some - nonexistent, really - mystery..:)

And, one more time, the pictures are awesome!

Nikolai Sklobovsky said:
However it seems like most of you guys didn't play the ping-pong for too long and forgot its basic moves. :)

All the pictures with the ball incredibly close to the player's face could have been technically taken during the serve, and during the serve only.

I used to play a lot of ping-pong, but before the Eastern style caught on. I would serve forehand or backhand, but with the paddle held low. I still haven't learned the penholder grip. I hope the OP can clear up whether all these shots are on serves, or during play.

scott

Scott,

scott kirkpatrick said:
I used to play a lot of ping-pong, but before the Eastern style caught on. I would serve forehand or backhand, but with the paddle held low. I still haven't learned the penholder grip. I hope the OP can clear up whether all these shots are on serves, or during play.

scott

Some of the shots *are* during play, and you can easily see the ball (and often, the player, too) is blurred.
I was only referring to "the face and the ball" shots.

And yes, I do use "penholder grip" :)

Cheers!

Tim Chong

Thanks... the setting is 1/400s f/2.8 at ISO 1600 on a 400/2.8, subject is abt 15m away. Keep rate? Not so high during the 1st day, as this is my first time covering this. Much higher keep rate on the final day, one outta 3~5 frames.

Bigger pix from Yahoo News.

r1512076846.jpg

r63666243.jpg

r3815641143.jpg

Asher Kelman

Well, Tim,

1. What camera and

2. Were these shots each part of a burst of shots at high speed?

3. Any custom settings

4. Servo or single shots

5.Focus with what points: 1, 2, 7 or what?

Asher

Tim Chong

What camera
MK II and MK II N

Were these shots each part of a burst of shots at high speed?
A burst of 3~5 frames

Any custom settings
My usual C.Fn: 02-1, 04-3, 08-1, 09-2, 10-3, 11-2, 13-3, 15-1, 17-1, 18-1, 19-4

Servo or single shots
AI Servo

Focus with what points: 1, 2, 7 or what

Asher Kelman

Thanks Tim!

Good work. Now which ones were action ie return or a serve?

Also do you have shots from the side to see both players v. from an angle?

Asher

Last edited: