• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Administrative: Raising Quality of OPF Photography for 2009, "Riskit!" Threads & Dynamics of Help.

John Angulat

pro member
Raising Quality of OPF Photography for 2009, "Riskit!" Threads & Dynamics of Help.

I'm repurposing some posts from this fascinating "Riskit!" thread. It brings us to the important topic of OPF's policy of helping folk with photographic projects but not teaching. This requires an adult and accountable relationship between those who show generously show work in "Riskit!" and those who give feedback. At the best of times, this could lead to an improved way of expression ideas into a delivered photograph. I hope we'll have comment on the "bargain" between those setting to work out or improve some genre of their own work for themselves and those who devote the time to give feedback. So review this taste of responses to John's work and gauge John's reaction. Asher

Original Post by John Angulat:

I honestly didn't know where to post this image (and don't be wise-guys and say "the trash can") so I'll put it here.
Sometimes mistakes turn out for the better...the intent was to capture the rigging in the tall ship but the backlighting pushed everything except the clouds to black.
I sort of like it anyway.
Thoughts?

stormclouds-sm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Mike; All photography is the product of decisions. More specifically photography is all about exclusion. Unlike painting or drawing which begin as blank canvases/pages, the photographic frame is always full of stuff wherever the lens is pointed. Deciding what to exclude from a photograph can often be painful, as sometimes it may lead to a decision not to take the picture at all at that time.

That's what I think I might have decided, at least from that vantage point. You have two strong general elements that, by themselves or in a different scene, might combine to create a compelling image. But in this case they don't work well together at all in my opinion.

Th masts and rigging, photographed from that vantage point and with an (apparently) longer focal length lens are all about geometry. We struggle to find the geometric relationships that you're trying to show. But meanwhile, like an impish child in the background, the surging clouds are suggesting that there's bigger stuff to see in the scene. We want to see a wider view because of those damn clouds. Making the photo b&w doesn't help. In fact, it hurts because now it's hard to distinguish clouds from smoke. Making it darker also makes your problem worse.

Whenever you have a majestic background like billowing clouds you have to select your foreground subjects and framing very, very carefully such that they work together to create something interesting. A photo -ANY photo- of the Grand Canyon, for example, is cliche and instantly forgettable. But a photo of something interesting with the Grand Canyon in the background has a chance to be very intriguing.

So, on this image, I would have made one of three choices. (1) Frame wider, showing the entire ship against those clouds to help invoke the viewer's imagination of a day when that little ship was in the enormous sea with only the wind for locomotion. (2) Frame much tighter to create a geometric study of the masts and/or rigging with just enough clouds to lend some tonal variety to the image. (3) Forget this shot altogether. Not having been on the scene I can't really speculate which would have been the best selection (contrary to what I suggested above).

John Angulat

pro member
Asher, Mike & Ken,

Thanks so much for the time spent studying this image. As always, I greatly appreciate the help and suggestions on how to improve.
Asher and Mike - unfortunately I can't open up the shadows (other than maybe in the clouds) as the detail was lost in the original exposure. I do see, however, how it would help the image if I had that opportunity. Alas, the shot is was it is (perspective), and sadly Asher's suggestion of wider view is well noted but not possible.
Ken - thanks very much for the detailed suggestions. I totally agree (and now see) what you mean in your suggestions 1 and 2. That's what separates the pro eye from my amateur viewpoint. Also, I'm still trying to get my head around your description of geometry. If you have the time, could you sort of "dummy it down" for me? It would be appreciated.

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Well there you have it, John. Very different points of view about the potential for your 'umble little snapshot. I'm not at all certain that you've gained much reusable value from the commentary -- can any online critique of a snap offer any real value? But it's always interesting to see such varied points of view. Perhaps that's why the Rorschach inkblot tests were so popular for a while.

John Angulat

pro member
I'm not at all certain that you've gained much reusable value from the commentary -- can any online critique of a snap offer any real value?

Hi Ken,
I truly believe you are mistaken. As a professional, the comments and critiques offered may seem mundane or almost Photo 101 to you and others. But to us amateurs it represents a priceless resource. I learned things from your post that may not seem like much to a pro, but where else would I have been shown "totality within a scene" or geometric balance within an image?
Happily, I have gained much and will be a better photographer for it.
Have a very Happy New Year!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks John for your positive reaction to the feedback. This brings us to 2009!

Hi Ken,
I truly believe you are mistaken. As a professional, the comments and critiques offered may seem mundane or almost Photo 101 to you and others. But to us amateurs it represents a priceless resource. I learned things from your post that may not seem like much to a pro, but where else would I have been shown "totality within a scene" or geometric balance within an image?
Happily, I have gained much and will be a better photographer for it.
Have a very Happy New Year!
Hi John,

Your reaction is music to my ears. Riskit! to work, must mean that photographers who start a thread show that they take in and value responses to improve their long term work. This is the bargain OPF has between Professional and Experts towards each other and amateurs.

This highlights another area of strictness for 2009. People who repeatedly ignore detailed feedback will find less of it. Also, our goal is not to be a school, giving lessons, rather colleagues sharing ideas and passion for great pictures. Don't overwhelm us with a torrent of like pictures. We want you to do the work for us! Choose!

In Riskit! any of us can, if we wish, develop a project to an excellent level, I say, "to the nth"! At that point, ideas are expressed and are built into the delivered image. Hopefully it's impressive and all the juices have not been hammered out of it. That way, it's still vibrant, living, never "perfected" and thus dead, with all the questions answered. At this point, least some of us can hopefully "get it".

On the way, some of our responses might miss entirely the photographer's intent, needs and vision. However, when the photographer does indeed advance his/her project, we'll all be energized to respond with even more interest. That's our payback and thrill!

Selecting: Four is not better than one! Significantly, we're going to be tougher in 2009 to folk who just throw up 4 snaps of no particular merit and worse, ignore great feedback. We hope in this way that the standard of photography will be always improved and so everyone's experience will be richer. We each should state what we are trying to do and the picture must make sense for these questions.

Amateurs and enthusiasts and even pros, don't think we don't want picture! We just want it carefully selected. If a second picture doesn't add something new, leave it out. One impressive image followed by 3 mediocre ones gets lost.

That's my rant!

Asher

Last edited:

Alain Briot

pro member
Good point. Also, the idea is not for all of us to agree, but instead for each of us to present our personal opinion about what works and what can be improved in the image.

Being in agreement should be something that happens occasionally and is rather unexpected !

The interest is in having different views. If we all agree we might as well say "nice work" and move on.

Rachel Foster

This is a very difficult topic for someone like me: A bald-faced amateur who started out knowing nothing and after over a year of work, knows less than I started. That's how it feels, anyway.

First and foremost, let me emphasize that I have learned a tremendous amount here. I am aware of how generous people have been with their time and expertise, and I'm very, very grateful. That's one reason this is so hard for me to say.

If you want an open photography forum, with amateurs rubbing shoulders with the pros and those who actually achieve the status of "artist," there has to be an awareness of where those of us at the bottom rungs of the ladder are. So much that comes as naturally as breathing to the experts eludes people like me for a long, long time. (Can we say "photoshop?" Ha!)

In my case particularly, it is frustrating for those kind enough to offer guidance. It oftentimes takes me months to put advice into practice. The mentor may (often does) feel disregarded and ignored. That's not the case at all! What is actually happening is that a piece of advice requires I learn several (three, four, five, more) techniques or skills before I can implement the advice.

Those who have been watching my work since I've been here may have noticed that I eventually do master something I've been given help with. However, that could also easily be overlooked (since not everyone will scrutinize my work as closely as Asher does!).

The point of all of this is that amateurs (like me) may be giving it our all and still not measure up. Well, in my case, remove the may: I am doing my best and most often fail to perform at the level desired. "Four is not better than one" is very true. But beginners often don't know which is the better one! Because of the huge disparity in ability and desired quality of images, I often stop posting images while I regroup. It takes a while to gather the courage to post when I know my work is not good enough.

So, an open forum will have a lot of garbage images. The alternative is a tighter forum with better images that is also less open.

Whatever the forum decides is fine with me and I am, and will remain, grateful for all the help I've received.

Asher Kelman

This is a very difficult topic for someone like me: A bald-faced amateur who started out knowing nothing and after over a year of work, knows less than I started. That's how it feels, anyway.

First and foremost, let me emphasize that I have learned a tremendous amount here. I am aware of how generous people have been with their time and expertise, and I'm very, very grateful. That's one reason this is so hard for me to say.............

............... But beginners often don't know which is the better one! Because of the huge disparity in ability and desired quality of images, I often stop posting images while I regroup. It takes a while to gather the courage to post when I know my work is not good enough.

So, an open forum will have a lot of garbage images. The alternative is a tighter forum with better images that is also less open.

Hi Rachel,

Follow Through: A lot of us have brilliant ideas. It's carrying these to a finish that we want to accomplish in Riskit! We do try lots of things and not do more on that project as a new idea comes along. We'd like folk to try to take one idea and make it work! When there's critique, it may knock people totally off track! Well we have to brush ourselves off and get right back on again! So we want to see follow through after even harsh critique, at least some of the time. Remember, we take what is posted seriously.

Selecting the best image! For sure it's hard. With photography, like all art, destruction of our babies must be accepted. Thanks for being honest about your difficulty in selecting pictures. We're considering solutions, including us moderating fora and or having mentors to help you with those decisions. Even just two images are much better than adding two more that are no more distinguished! This is a partnership between folk here, so thanks!

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Rachel,

One of the hardest parts of photography is learning to edit and weed out. The more you work at it, the easier it gets. The more you look at others work, you will see it too in your own work. I never throw out the moderate images because I will go back later and find buried treasure or find I should have deleted the first time.

Rod Witten

pro member
While the popular voice seems to favor reducing the number of OPF categories, a simple resolution to the "Riskit" dilemma may be to compromise and add a category called "Risk'em".

Last edited:

Cem_Usakligil

While the popular voice seems to favor reducing the number of OPF categories, a simple resolution to the "Riskit" dilemma may be to compromise and add a category called "Risk'em".
Hi Rod,

What is the "riskit dilemma" you are referring to? Without an explanation from you on this, we can only guess at what you are trying to say.

Cheers,

Rod Witten

pro member
Hi Rod,

What is the "riskit dilemma" you are referring to? Without an explanation from you on this, we can only guess at what you are trying to say.

Cheers,

Cem,

The delimma is that the teaser for the Riskit category ("At any stage of experience we must still explore new areas where we are perhaps not yet fully expert or else have new ideas to kick around. Pictures might not meet exhibition, client or even our own highest standards. Critique will be tough love!) suggests a limitless opportunity for inspection and feedback. Yet, limits are now being suggested. While the category title Risk - it, clearly implies submit your one best effort, the supporting definition suggests otherwise. Maybe the category should be called The Gallery of Reverse Marginal Utility since it is often used in that manner.

Bottoms Up,

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Cem,

The delimma is that the teaser for the Riskit category ("At any stage of experience we must still explore new areas where we are perhaps not yet fully expert or else have new ideas to kick around. Pictures might not meet exhibition, client or even our own highest standards. Critique will be tough love!) suggests a limitless opportunity for inspection and feedback. Yet, limits are now being suggested. While the category title Risk - it, clearly implies submit your one best effort, the supporting definition suggests otherwise. Maybe the category should be called The Gallery of Reverse Marginal Utility since it is often used in that manner.

Bottoms Up,
Rod,

The best experience of "Riskit!" would be a cauldron where the mettle of a project is challenged, tested and then slowly annealed. Yes, try anything. Then according to the history of that person, stated wishes, needs and goals we'll do our best to give useful feedback and help guide each other by suggesting new options to consider.

It's a risk to everyone for sure. That's the duality of it! Why not try it yourself. You can't sit on the sidelines for ever!

Asher

Rod Witten

pro member
Rod,

The best experience of "Riskit!" would be a cauldron where the mettle of a project is challenged, tested and then slowly annealed. Yes, try anything. Then according to the history of that person, stated wishes, needs and goals we'll do our best to give useful feedback and help guide each other by suggesting new options to consider.

It's a risk to everyone for sure. That's the duality of it! Why not try it yourself. You can't sit on the sidelines for ever!

Asher

Ah Asher, not everyone is a player. However, good games usually have someone huddled in the stands keeping score.

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Rod,

The best experience of "Riskit!" would be a cauldron where the mettle of a project is challenged, tested and then slowly annealed.

Asher: I agree with others that the title "RiskIt" is confusing. But if your remark, above, reflects your core intention I recommend that you re-title that section to better coalesce activity there.

One caution: A true photographic project, with defined conceptual and aesthetic goals, is one of the best conduits for improving one's skills an vision. But very few amateur photographers undertake any such true "project" beyond vacation snaps. Most of the stuff you see posted here, and on other forums, is not produced with any real degree of premeditation. So a section devoted to project critiques may not be very active if guidelines are enforced. (More than likely we'll actually see lots of baby picture collections. ;) )

Asher Kelman

Asher: I agree with others that the title "RiskIt" is confusing. But if your remark, above, reflects your core intention I recommend that you re-title that section to better coalesce activity there.

One caution: A true photographic project, with defined conceptual and aesthetic goals, is one of the best conduits for improving one's skills an vision. But very few amateur photographers undertake any such true "project" beyond vacation snaps. Most of the stuff you see posted here, and on other forums, is not produced with any real degree of premeditation. So a section devoted to project critiques may not be very active if guidelines are enforced. (More than likely we'll actually see lots of baby picture collections. ;) )
Ken and Rod,

That feedback is helpful. Let me think further on this. I prefer structural classes that are self-evident and really clear with a brief qualifying phrase. So let's consider this matter further. A longitudinal study of a child might be an act of genius or a waste of time. We need ways of more easily guiding and sorting effort and attention.

Maybe we will select a scant number of threads from within "Riskit!" where a clear long term goal, creative path, capability and commitment to this community has been defined. This will constitute the "Proposal" and once started the photographer will devote the energy, study and resources to deliver the final image for display.

I already can see one possible candidate for such long term project the seeds of which were sown today.

Asher

Rachel Foster

Maybe we will select a scant number of threads from within "Riskit!" where a clear long term goal, creative path, capability and commitment to this community has been defined. This will constitute the "Proposal" and once started the photographer will devote the energy, study and resources to deliver the final image for display.
Asher

This sounds exciting!

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Ken and Rod,

Asher
I am now even more confused. A photographic project results in a body of work, not a single image.

You cannot, as a 3d party, define others' projects.

If you're genuinely keen on providing a project-oriented discussion section why not just create a "Project Cafe", or some other clearly-titled and specifically-missioned section? (And drop, or re-task, "RiskIt".)

Rod Witten

pro member
I am now even more confused. A photographic project results in a body of work, not a single image.

If you're genuinely keen on providing a project-oriented discussion section why not just create a "Project Cafe", or some other clearly-titled and specifically-missioned section? (And drop, or re-task, "RiskIt".)

Ken,

While I agree with you about the project oriented discussion, I believe that it is a difficulty level above the "Creative 101" photography student and I've also seen too many so, so, filler shots in professional project presentations. I believe that we have two separate subjects; producing a single master (relative to the individuals own efforts) work and where applicable, producing multiple master works in a cohesive, meaningful collection. Depending on the level of experience and talent, each subject can present a daunting challenge for those willing to "walk the walk". The question is whether, or not, the Forum has the where-with-all to provide consistent, qualified, assistance for all that want to run the gauntlet. I'm not suggesting that the present team leading and monitoring the Forum are not qualified, but I wonder about that tedious burden longer term. I also wonder whether multiple responders of unknown talent might do more harm than good.

Asher Kelman

That's precisely what I'm thinking of. Rachel has suggested for herself a series of pictures. That's the kind of interest we should look to exploring. Even a single series may not constitute a body of work but it's a decent goal for any of us to set for ourselves. Charlottes's kids pictures, while cute, do not constitute a long term defined project that we can buy into, at least it's form and needs are not yet not obvious to me.

"You cannot, as a 3d party, define others' projects." We should not even contemplate defining artistic goals for someone else. Setting an exercise for students, would be another matter, but OPF, at least in this form, will not be having students. Rather we can, and should, however, give feedback, if requested. We can state as to how the work impacts us and what methods might be considered to materialize the photographer wishes.

Asher

Ken Tanaka

pro member
You make keen points, Rod, when you wrote:
The question is whether, or not, the Forum has the where-with-all to provide consistent, qualified, assistance for all that want to run the gauntlet. I'm not suggesting that the present team leading and monitoring the Forum are not qualified, but I wonder about that tedious burden longer term. I also wonder whether multiple responders of unknown talent might do more harm than good.

But planning realistically we're not going to have someone working on a Guggenheim Foundation Fellowship grant project in progress asking what we think, eh. But I think there might be an opportunity here to provide a place to encourage amateurs to undertake photographic projects by offering constructive discussions involving others who have undertaken, are are involved in, such projects. To that end, "critiques" would not be the principal mode of discourse. Rather, in a perfect world I would encourage discussions to focus on gathering seed ideas, production ideas, perhaps guidance toward resources, and other such support.

For example, someone might be working on creating a body of images of a particular style of architecture and might solicit location suggestions. Someone else might solicit opinions on a set of so-far images for their project. And so on.

Maybe such discussions are far too advanced for a public photo chat site. But it just seems like it may be worth considering, even if it ultimately leads to deadsville by year-end.

Asher Kelman

You make keen points, Rod, when you wrote:

But planning realistically we're not going to have someone working on a Guggenheim Foundation Fellowship grant project in progress asking what we think, eh. But I think there might be an opportunity here to provide a place to encourage amateurs to undertake photographic projects by offering constructive discussions involving others who have undertaken, are are involved in, such projects. To that end, "critiques" would not be the principal mode of discourse. Rather, in a perfect world I would encourage discussions to focus on gathering seed ideas, production ideas, perhaps guidance toward resources, and other such support.

For example, someone might be working on creating a body of images of a particular style of architecture and might solicit location suggestions. Someone else might solicit opinions on a set of so-far images for their project. And so on.

Maybe such discussions are far too advanced for a public photo chat site. But it just seems like it may be worth considering, even if it ultimately leads to deadsville by year-end.
Ken,

Were getting on the right track. The photographer's mind must contain some idea that's to big to fit in the brain and needs be put in physical form, in a technical way that powers the idea and builds a form that can have a life of it's own and evoke in the photographer and others a cascade of consequences, some known and some unexpected, It Must start with that imperative of creativity that can consume us until we put the ideas into some medium and finally forge an image to be shared. Guggenheim, or not!

We'll can think on this more and draft how it might be done.

Asher