• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Cactus - San Diego, california '15

Paul Abbott

cactushsadowwallcorrected_1_of_1_600.jpg

Cactus - San Diego, California '15 - Paul Abbott
RICOH GR

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
cactushsadowwallcorrected_1_of_1_600.jpg

Cactus - San Diego, California '15 - Paul Abbott
RICOH GR

OMG, Paul,

Have you seen Jerome Marot's thread here on Matthieu Venot? He has that sparse style with simple compositions, a lot of pastel or white pristine areas in the composition - all in even light.

This is superb.

Did you do more like this and what sent you into this style?

Asher

Paul Abbott

I had never heard of the fellow before. I since had noticed Jerome's thread and it prompted me to dig this image out...
This is the only image I have. No one has influenced me with this image, this is my natural reaction to it. It's a classic high-key effect and was shot over-exposed by 1 stop.

Asher Kelman

I had never heard of the fellow before. I since had noticed Jerome's thread and it prompted me to dig this image out...
This is the only image I have. No one has influenced me with this image, this is my natural reaction to it. It's a classic high-key effect and was shot over-exposed by 1 stop.

Fabulous! That then supports my idea that they are working in the same sandpit, so to speak! It's so fascinating and delightful that I recognized immediately the connection you had felt with Matthieu's work when you went to the trouble of locating and posting this cactus picture.

Asher

Jerome Marot

Thank you. Indeed the image is in the same vein. Note that Matthieu Venot is not the only photographer producing images with this kind of aesthetics, which is apparently quite popular in galleries.

The difficulty might be in producing more than one image, a coherent body of work. Could you walk around for a day or so with the intent to produce more images of the kind and see what you can come up with? If tried that some time ago and found it an enlightening exercice.

Asher Kelman

I am so thrilled to see something work that I only just learned of, having natural resonance with an OPFr here! Better that it was done independent of any wish to copy,

...........although, for me at least, Matthieu Venot is not a bad choice for a style to get lost in!

Asher

Paul Abbott

Jerome and Asher, Matthieu's work is great to see, he has come up with some very simple and arresting images. I like what he has done and have seen this sort of stuff done by others. His architectural shots I found to be too simplistic and converge with other photographers doing the same thing. His abstracted shots are wonderful though...