• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

T72 Tanks in action

Jarmo Juntunen

Here are a few shots from the annual Kewätsavutus (Spring Smoke) event at the Armour Museum in Parola, Finland. Stars of the event are these T72M1 tanks, formerly in active service in the Finnish Defence Forces.

_smaller.jpg

_smaller.jpg

_smaller.jpg

_smaller.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Here are a few shots from the annual Kewätsavutus (Spring Smoke) event at the Armour Museum in Parola, Finland. Stars of the event are these T72M1 tanks, formerly in active service in the Finnish Defence Forces.

_smaller.jpg

_smaller.jpg

Jarmo,

I would be thrilled and terrified to be close enough to photograph them in real action. But, likely as not, this is not a live fire show! Does Finland still buy from Russia these monsters? I'd be concerned that they'd have a secret "kill switch", just in case they had to face thrm in battle when they next want to re-expand their lost Empire!

An Amazingly efficient machine with a crew of 3 and incredible armor plus it's own bulldozer front for digging a trench and ability to go through 5 meters of deep water!

But how long will it be before these are replaced by Robotics or operated remotely as like Predator drones?

Asher

Jarmo Juntunen

Jarmo,

I would be thrilled and terrified to be close enough to photograph them in real action. But, likely as not, this is not a live fire show! Does Finland still buy from Russia these monsters? I'd be concerned that they'd have a secret "kill switch", just in case they had to face thrm in battle when they next want to re-expand their lost Empire!

An Amazingly efficient machine with a crew of 3 and incredible armor plus it's own bulldozer front for digging a trench and ability to go through 5 meters of deep water!

But how long will it be before these are replaced by Robotics or operated remotely as like Predator drones?

Asher

Thank you for your comment! Yes, you're right, no live ammo there! We used to buy a lot of defence equipment from Soviet Union/Russia. Those days politics played a large role in such purchases. Well, actually it is all politics even today. We have a very special role, having the longest land border in Europe in Russia and our politics were and remain to be very cautious with anything related with Russia. So, earlier everything needed to be Soviet (so as not to annoy the Russian). Today, nobody wants to buy from Russia for a simple reason: if we are ever to face a military threat, there can only be one aggressor. And how willing that aggressor would be to supply us with the needed spare parts and maintenance if the push ever came to shove?

So, accordingly, T72s were replaced by German Leopards and MiG-21s by Hornets.

Asher Kelman

Today, armored vehicles including tanks have to face roadside bombs. These can pack extraordinary power. So the undercarriage of the tanks and treads need to be protected. The latest tanks have active ballistic or explosive defense against incoming shells.

So now there's a more complex chess game in projecting power by armored vehicles of all kinds.

Here, having chance to check out new systems ostensibly fighting "terrorists" for Assad, allows Russian armor and electronic counter measures to be battle-tested.

I'd imagine that Tigertanks are tested in Afghanistan perhaps?

Jarmo Juntunen

Here, having chance to check out new systems ostensibly fighting "terrorists" for Assad, allows Russian armor and electronic counter measures to be battle-tested.

I'd imagine that Tigertanks are tested in Afghanistan perhaps?

Yes, military conflicts worldwide make for a great testing laboratory for weapons manufacturers... Leopards in their different modifications are an old construction so I'm sure they've been battle tested, as well.

Asher Kelman

_img1280.jpg

This brings back memories of 1965, my 4th year of medical school and my very first car similar to that, but a black Ford!

Asher

Jarmo Juntunen

This brings back memories of 1965, my 4th year of medical school and my very first car similar to that, but a black Ford!

Asher

That must have looked old already back then, lol!

I do admire people who restore these old beauties. I can only imagine the time and effort that goes into keeping them in running shape.