• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Refraction

one more image... again, not particularly close (indeed, i took this shot from over 6 feet away) but there's precious little choice in terms of which discussion forum to post such things on, so here it is. it's a soap bubble, perched on a stalk of wild grass. a young girl was blowing bubbles as she walked through a park. i was walking some distance behind her, having come there to photograph birds, and had only my 80-400 lens on the camera. most of the bubbles popped or drifted off, but this one lit on the grass without bursting, so i thought i'd try to get a photo. i hurried to as close as my lens would focus, composed the image to produce a nice, contrasting background (i had to crouch to get this angle; the dark area is actually blackberry bushes in shade about 15 feet behind the bubble), and snapped 3 shots before the bubble burst. 30D, 80-400 lens @ 350mm, 1/250 @ f5.6.

IMG_5129sm1.jpg

Marian Howell

very cool!!!
the reflection of the wild grass, trees and sky in the bubble is perfect, and the background being solid works wondefully to focus on the bubble and the grass. i like the backlighting on the grass too :))))

Ivan Garcia

I agree with Asher.
Winston; this image is stunning, from the sun glint on the bubble, to the back lighted blade of wild grass,: perfect !, this is the best image you have posted so far, no critique here, just awesome picture taking skills !.
Now, I need to pick my jaw form the floor ! lol.

thanks for the kind words. this was a once-in-a-lifetime shot; i couldn't re-create it if i tried. i have to admit, it's very probably the best photo i've ever taken, and i am extremely honored and flattered to report that it was also chosen from among several thousand submissions to appear in the "Your shots" feature in the October issue of National Geographic magazine!

Asher,

i find the auto WB setting on the 30D does a very creditable job, and leaving it there most of the time means one less thing to fuss with. i've not found any particular problem with color balance to date; even with snow the 30D seems to pick settings that work, so i mostly let it do the work for me...

Holly Cawfield

Good gracious. What a stunning photo and deserving of all the accolades. It's the sort of photo when first opening the thread one calls out to other people in the house, 'hey, come and look at this. It's incredible!"

Holly :)